Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I finally have the G back on the road, the passenger side axle seal is leaking like crazy. I'm certain it got cut when I was tapping it into the tranny, but I didn't think that it would leak as bad as it does. Well, tomorrow I'm going to pull the axle to replace the seal. What did you guys use to tap the seals in? The largest socket I had apparently didn't fit around the seal well enough so that it wouldn't slip and cut it, I guess I just got lucky with the driver's side.

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
A seal driver kit is the best way to install and protect the seal when going in, but if you have a small hammer and go around the seal while driving it in evenly that works to.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, alright, I'll see if I can borrow a seal driver kit from someone, I'm on a really tight budget at the moment (don't get paid until next week). So I just need to drive the seal flush with the transmission case? I've heard 1/4" in some places, and flush from several different people.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after searching for awhile, I found this thread: http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19780

Really seems to be all I need to know about the seals, I've got the axle out of the car now and I'm about to go down to Dick Smith Infiniti and get another seal, and borrow a seal installer kit from my friend. The seal was cut, but it looks like it was also too deep in the transmission, causing the leak. I should have it back together soon, so we'll see how it goes.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I got it all back together with the seal flush, but I had to pop it back out once when it went in crooked. It still leaks a tiny, tiny bit, but it's not pouring out like it was before. I'll just wait until I'm pulling the car apart to change something else, unless the leak gets worse for some reason. And on another note, I had to buy the seal from the Nissan dealership, because Infiniti was closed today. They charged me $17 for the same seal Infiniti charged me $7 for. WTF?

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
bhowle said:
They charged me $17 for the same seal Infiniti charged me $7 for. WTF?
wow i would of called them on that!!! you would think it would be the other way around.
still leaking you say, do you think you did more damadge to it when installing it?

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty certain I did some damage to it while installing it. I couldn't get a hammer to the end of the seal driver, so I had to use a 24" extension and carefully tap the seal in around the edges. Then it went in crooked. Soooooo, not having enough money or time to go all the way back to Nissan and get another seal, I popped that one back out and tapped it back in, being very careful to make sure it seated flush. The little tension spring on the inside of the seal came loose when I popped it back out, and I had to slip it back on. Normally, I wouldn't ever reuse a new seal, but I just didn't have any other options. It leaks intermittently, and only makes a small puddle when it does. I'm keeping any eye on the gear oil level in the transmission, so far it's barely gotten below the fill hole. I'll probably go back and do it again tuesday, when I know I'll have some help to drive the seal properly. I'm going to take my receipt to the Infiniti parts guy and see why Nissan overcharged me. I find that particularly odd, considering the dealerships are owned by the same people, and are right next door to eachother.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
I use the end of a 1x2 to tap in seals...as long as its not majorly crooked, it will straighten out as you tap it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts