Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice in order to track down a water leak. My daughter called me and told me her 94 G20 was leaking coolant. I took a quick look at it but I didn't seen any obvious leak. She had it towed to my house and I got into it this morning. As soon as I pour water into the radiator, it leaks out the block somewhere. I checked the usual suspects: radiator; radiator hoses; thermostat; heater hoses. They are all fine. I think I got a look at the coolant bypass hoses under the intake and they look OK. I could see the weep hole on the water pump, top and bottom, and it looked OK. The water seems to emanate from the pax side above the starter somewhere. I couldn't eyeball it nor could I get a good shot at that area with a mirror. Any ideas where this massive leak might be coming from? Anyone have a good schematic or photo of the G20 coolant plumbing? (The FSM isn't too good in that area). Thanks.

Oh, one more bit of info. The coolant in the radiator is clean (green Prestone) but the coolant leaking onto my garage floor is bad rusty. I was thinking maybe the heater core but the hoses looked OK.
jor (Tucson)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Had something very similar in my white 96 p10. the two hoses beneath the intake manifold at the back of the block coming off the water pump weren't cracked but worn and swollen so that whenever I shut the engine off, all the coolant came out of water lines.

could always, jack it up, start it and see where the coolant comes out.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
so as soon as you poor in the water it comes out?. good thing you duaghter was smart enough to stop the car.
i would normally say a coolant presure testor is needed but you say it leaks from poriing it.
al line in you vicinti go to the heater hoses the 2 coolant lines on the trottle body wich travle theue the pipe from thermastat to the fire wall sis of the engine the leak can be any one of them and be running down in a unsuspected lower point. the head gasket can leack as well externally but I have not seen the sr20 engine do that yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leak can be any one of them and be running down in a unsuspected lower point.
Yea, that's the problem. I crawled around under it with a light and mirror but just can't find the origin. All the hoses look good and are dry. I'm just wondering if there is a freeze plug or something back there. In all my years of screwing around with cars, this is the first time I haven't even been able to diagnose the problem! Anyhow, that's it. I will have it towed to a repair shop. Probably get hosed (pun intended) but what the heck. The daughter isn't rolling in dough but I can help her out. Thanks to you both.
jor

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
hpefully its knowthing to major for you nd hopefully you have a good hounest shop work on the car. i have to this day never seen a nissan made car with a freeze plug on the engine leak
quality work is hard to find knowdays. most get poor work done with a heavey price most of us heare know the posibilitys of fthe leaks as we swap engines build engine and know the entire car quite well as all coolant lines and so forth. their are a few mwmbers hear from your area that would prolly do good work for you. You are to far away for me to help are i would try to make time for you.

If it is at all posible to have a friend help to pin point the leak it might help you find it if its a big leak it will not take to much time to find. im just guessing you space you have to work with and tooling and not haveing a lift makes it just harder to find.

i do wish you good lck and hopefully it does not cost so much

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone so i am on the same page.. have you guys figured out where the coolant was leaking? i was also wondering about the freeze plug.. thanks for this..

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the sr20 with the oil filter accessible from the top passenger side i guess they came like that on 94s but when they pressurized my cooling system it squirted on the oil filter but when i drive i guess it doesnt pressurize enough to squirt out so it just drips but you can not see where its coming from and the mechanic told me it was the Intake manifold gasket and it uses 1 gallon of coolant a week and basically i have to fill it up everyday like 8 to ten ounces at a time some days it doesnt leak same days it leaks a lot some days just a little its weird

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the sr20 with the oil filter accessible from the top passenger side i guess they came like that on 94s but when they pressurized my cooling system it squirted on the oil filter but when i drive i guess it doesnt pressurize enough to squirt out so it just drips but you can not see where its coming from and the mechanic told me it was the Intake manifold gasket and it uses 1 gallon of coolant a week and basically i have to fill it up everyday like 8 to ten ounces at a time some days it doesnt leak same days it leaks a lot some days just a little its weird
Wow thats crazy.. so what are you gna do with that problem? whats the best thing we should do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts