1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was by JustinP10, on lightening the chassis:

A few simple things to start off.
- Lighter battery
- there might be a bar in the front bumper (like on the P10) you can remove.
- Take out the floormats, spare and jack (umm.. if you feel safe driving around without them).
- carbon fiber body parts (expensive)

So where is this bar in my front bumper that I can remove, and how can it be pulled out? This probably sounds really stupid too, but would removing that bar make my car less safe? Not like I plan on smashing up my front or anything...

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
It just unbolts :p

It's in the lower section of the front bumper, it's below the big opening in the bumper, it's on basically the very bottom of the car. I believe it's 4 bolts, 2 on either side of the bar. All are 10mm i think? let me know if you need any more info.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: yes..

Chris said:
isn't it obvious that it makes the car less safe in a front end collision?
The bar itself probalby don't play a large role in a front end collision. I think it's more for if you run into a curb, or small ledge with your car (something I don't plan to do, since my car is lowered, and was slammed before, ugh, I always watch out when pulling up to a curb or when driving over anything in the road). I'd assume this bar is there to protect the bottom of the car and engine. In a full out head on collision, i don't think the bar would take too much force, i think most of teh force would be directed higher up on the bumper (unless you hit an indy car or something like that), and also into the frame itself. this bar just bolts to the front of the frame. it might be used for vibration dampening too, i'm trutfully not sure its exact use.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Is it the tubular bar that goes across the bottom, kinda close and parallel to the radiator? I thought that was a chassis stiffening bar so wouldn't be a better idea to leave it in??

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Mike.Com said:
Is it the tubular bar that goes across the bottom, kinda close and parallel to the radiator? I thought that was a chassis stiffening bar so wouldn't be a better idea to leave it in??
It's not a chassis stiffening bar, it has plastic end brackets and a rubber insulator on each side. Also with how and where it bolts there's no way it could stiffen what it attaches too.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
JustinP10 said:

It's not a chassis stiffening bar, it has plastic end brackets and a rubber insulator on each side. Also with how and where it bolts there's no way it could stiffen what it attaches too.
So I think we're talking about the same thing. I'm gonna take that out then! :p

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: yes..

JustinP10 said:

The bar itself probalby don't play a large role in a front end collision. I think it's more for if you run into a curb, or small ledge with your car (something I don't plan to do, since my car is lowered, and was slammed before, ugh, I always watch out when pulling up to a curb or when driving over anything in the road). I'd assume this bar is there to protect the bottom of the car and engine. In a full out head on collision, i don't think the bar would take too much force, i think most of teh force would be directed higher up on the bumper (unless you hit an indy car or something like that), and also into the frame itself. this bar just bolts to the front of the frame. it might be used for vibration dampening too, i'm trutfully not sure its exact use.
Well I guess that's my weekend project then. Now if only I can manage to take off my bumper *sorry I've never done anything like this before* So I just unbolt this bar...I hope it's REALLY heavy so I can feel like I'm really lightening my car. Guess I can't hit Indy cars anymore though...

:p :p :p

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
hehe, well it's not that heavy, maybe 7-10lbs at most.. i have never weighed mine. you don't need to remove the bumper to remove the bar, in fact you don't even have to jack it up at all. just look under the bumper and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about. just get a small socket wrench and a 10mm socket (i think) and that should be all you'll need to remove the bar, i think. I don't remember needing anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
So, did you guys remove the bar yet? What'd you think?
I presonally just thought it was just dead weight, maybe it was there for vibration dampening, but i sure didn't notice any extra vibrations after I removed it. Probably took all of 3 minutes too remove too.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not that heavy at all. It was really dirty *maybe I can wash UNDER my car too next time...?* but that's about it. I wished it was heavier or something, but it seems to do nothing but...sit there. Oh well, every little bit helps. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts