Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 94 G20 with 134K miles. Here is my problem. When I first start my car and turn on my headlights at idle, the light tends to be on the dim side, but as soon as I tab the gas. The light goes back to normal, this is liek the only time it would do that. I can turn off the car immediately and it would do it again, and it wont do it again after until you shut it off again. My alternator tested out fine in a recent test, could it be my battery not giving enough juice or is it my altnerator

·
Registered
233 Posts
How old is the battery? Does it crank slow? Are the battery cable connections clean and tight?

I know this sounds silly but does the battery have a strong odor?

Can you tell I think it's likely battery related? :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terminals are new, the battery was dead when I bought the car. It never had problem starting. Doesnt smell funny, i guess i will get a new battery for 50 bucks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wouldn't spend any money until it quits. Hell, it could last years like it is. I think if you take the battery into Autozone or any other big parts store they'll test it free. No point in throwing money at it unless it's been tested.

·
Registered
306 Posts
try this...

Check the BELT on your alternator. They usually squeak when loose but occasionally they can slip, especially at low rpm AND cold and not make a sound. This would explain the revving and then working normal, the belt has got a grip and won't slip again until the car is started from ZERO rpm. Just my theory...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Hmmm.....kinda sounds like my situation as well. I've also noticed that it takes longer to crank, the dashboard lights are dim even on the highest setting, and the lights seem to dim a lot more when the cooling fan kicks in. This morning on the way to work, I noticed that the windshield wipers seemed to vary in speed. I can't reallly explain it but on the highest seating it goes "normal" speed then all of a sudden, it goes into slow motion like it's about to stop.
Did I also mention that my windows take longer to go up and down?:surprised

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
casual said:
just linking here to there since the answer to this might be there
Yup! I should have kept it to one thread, but I didn't. That's cool though. Now theres two threads to search on in the future. ;)

MR. RYTE - My assumption is that you would probably want to have your alternator checked out and see what type of voltage reading it is providing and/or see if your battery is keeping a charge.

Fixed my issues BIG TIME! and I am ecstatic!!!

It cost me a total of $180 (alt) + $12.88 (fusible Link) and about 4-5 hours. Who says money can't buy you happiness. :confused:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
NismoPC said:

Yup! I should have kept it to one thread, but I didn't. That's cool though. Now theres two threads to search on in the future. ;)

MR. RYTE - My assumption is that you would probably want to have your alternator checked out and see what type of voltage reading it is providing and/or see if your battery is keeping a charge.

Fixed my issues BIG TIME! and I am ecstatic!!!
Will do! Thanks NismoPC.

NismoPC said:
It cost me a total of $180 (alt) + $12.88 (fusible Link) and about 4-5 hours. Who says money can't buy you happiness. :confused:
And a HELLUVALOTA anger and frustration.:monster: :monster: :monster:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts