Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing on the forum that theres no need to change the serpentine belt, What do you guys think about that? Did you guys change yours?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Supposedly one is easy to change (water pump I think) and the other one is a lot harder (alternator...or is it the other way around?) I just took mine to my friend and held him liable if he messed it up.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
so nobody really explained the procedure.....I bet its real simple too. I dont wanna go to a shop for something I should be able to do myself.. any help appreciated

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
There are two belts, each has an adjuster which pivots on a bolt. You need to loosen both the pivot bolt and the adjuster all the way out. Then slip the old belts off, slip the new belts on. I dont have the part numbers handy but you can go to NAPA and have them look them up. One is the main/alternator belt, the other is the power steering/water pump belt. Clean your pullies before you put the new belts on. Youll need to remove the splash guards around your passenger side wheel well to get access to everything. Also, after you tighten the belts in, dont forget to tighten the pivot bolts really well so they dont back off while driving. That's about it.

- Greg -

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am about to change the belts on my P10. Is it any special tool required to get access to the belt tensioner by the power steering pump? It seems to be extremely tight, space wise.

For those who have changed their own belts:
Is that the most difficult part of the job is the access problem?

Thanks,
Nelson

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Pretty much... I cant remember exactly but you should have the usual assortment of sockets and wrenches in 10 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm and 17 mm sizes. Good to have several extensions for your ratchet and also a breaker bar may be necessary if the pivot bolts are really on there tight.

I think the biggest difficulty with the belts is getting everything in place to get the old ones off and the new ones on. But once youve done it the first time, it's not that bad.

Good luck.

- Greg -

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
g20newbie said:
so nobody really explained the procedure.....I bet its real simple too. I dont wanna go to a shop for something I should be able to do myself.. any help appreciated
damn this is an old thread, anyways. i have changed both belts with simple hand tools so you don't need any special tools. real easy to do, just don't forget to loosen both bolts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cool, thank you. I now have more confidence on it.

Nelson

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
^lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts