Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2 10s hooked up to a 200w JBL amp my box was custom made box made to my design (which might not be working) the subs face the back seats and the box is jammed between the strut towers it about 10 inches at the base and 6 at the top I m guessing its the box but the bass doesnt pound as much as I wanted it to, the box looks good(when I lift up the trunk all you see is the JBL chrome symbol from the amp mounted on the box)
but I need some suggestions on what to do. If I get better subs will it make much of a difference ?

Has anybody put a sub in the spare tire well?

·
Registered
424 Posts
As far as I know, this is one of the better setup in the G. This is mainly because it looks nice but most importantly, it allows you to use your trunk space. The reason, purely educated guess, I think you don't get much performance out of this is because the subs are mounted closely against the back seats, which does not allow sound wave to travel. Try to unfold the back seats and I can assure you will have better pounding and sound quality.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Early P10 seats dont fold down.

Your problem is that you can't face your subs into your rear seat. You are deadening the sound.You are pushing your air into the seats which is doing NADA. Turn your box around [subs facing the trunk] Speakers move air . Sound travels in waves and bass needs a certain wavelength. I cant remeber all of the specifics but the sound travels from the woofer cone and bounces off the trunk then goes through the seats and hits you.

hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
the best place to put it is so the subs are facing the rear, and the box is all the way to the back (taillights). almost touching. this lets the sound waves bounce off the back and synch with the ones coming off the box towards the seat.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I think it would be best subs against the rear seat facing the trunk. Just a thought not to mention the trunk space you will save

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I looked into this idea I don't think it would sound to good because it's not in a box. Search for 15's in the spare tire well. Or something Along those lines you'll find out then.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I think he is referring to a false floor with a custom fiberglass box on the bottom of the trunk floor(spare tire well)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah the box needs to be turned around...I'll betcha this though...with your seats down you probably FEEL the bass rather than hearing it.

I'd say keep the box if it was designed custom AND TO SPEC for your subs. Just turn it around in the exact same location it's in now. (Just like what everyone else is saying)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
rmjjensen said:
Yeah the box needs to be turned around...I'll betcha this though...with your seats down you probably FEEL the bass rather than hearing it.

I'd say keep the box if it was designed custom AND TO SPEC for your subs. Just turn it around in the exact same location it's in now. (Just like what everyone else is saying)

Us early P10's dont have rear split seats. Our are permanently mounted

·
Registered
664 Posts
didn't realize he was a P10 owner...oh well.

I don't know why you designed that box then. You can't even "show off" the subs or possibly get decent sound out of em. (No offense) Unless of course you had the "stealth" option in mind.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
TURN IT AROUND!!

You definitely need to turn it around my friend! You'll get a much better pound from your 10's... although 10's are known to lack deep (low-end) bass. But you'll enjoy the punch big time... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys

noticed someone mentioned mounting the sub in the spare tyre well.....i am actually doing this in my P11 when my new install goes ahead, the tyre well is going to be made into a enclosed sealed box and the sub centered in it with a fibreglass/perspex (not sure which) top then the amp will be mounted on a rack style wall on the side wall of the boot.......the idea is so you can fold down the rear seats when stationary and have the bass going throughout the whole car.......seems the way alot of installers here in NZ are doing it these days

·
Registered
495 Posts
your sub may not sound good in the spare tire well because your sub may not get all of the air space it needs or it may get to much air. i put my amp under the driver side seat because it kept on getting hot in the trunk and if you put your amp under your sub in the tire well then you may mess up the electric current in your amp because of the magnet on the sub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
umm the amp is going to be no where near the sub....well in the same boot but not underneath it? dont know where ya got that idea from .......as to the air space required there will be a custom enclosure made the right sizing for the sub that will fit into the tyre well so shouldnt be a problem there ....i think its a good idea and the visual aspect of it should be good a bit of a change form the usual if ya get my drift

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
HEYYYY!

That was my idea!!! lol :p Honestly, I had thought about it, but I didn't think about the whole Fiberglass enclosure (rather a wooden one) ... well picture this: The amp mounted against the back of the rear seat showing off the logo, the two 12's laying flat on the floor, aligned vertically from the the amp to the (taillight side) end of the trunk!... I own a P10 though... I was concerned with the 'airspace' business for my Kicker Comps... however, I also heard they don't require too much air space to blast you to Neptune!! :lol: :alien: :lol:

·
Registered
311 Posts
It can work in the tyre well providing the enclosure volume is enough and the walls of the enclosure (fibreglass right?) are thick enough to prevent is warping. You'll probably want to put a fair bit of dynamat or some thing in the well to stopit resonating badly and the top of the box should have a a good sturdy bit of MDF or something to mount the sub on. Perspex or fibreglassaround it by all means.

You can pretty much halve the enclosure space you need by setting up two subs in an "isobaric" (sometimes called clamshell I think) configuration. It wouldn't be as loud as two seperate enclosures but you get huge performance from one small one. And you can say things like "well I chose an Isobaric configuration to maximize the available enclosure volume" and people that havent got a clue what you're on about will be well impressed.

When I get the cash together I want to run two DVC subs in an isobaric setup running off a single class-D. That would be eeeevil bass.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
i think hybridamps plexiglass show setup is very nice

all i found was his daily driver setup but i think he got one he put in for shows
maybe someone can find a pic of the plexiglass enclosure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts