Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I purchased my goddamn P10 I have been driven crazy by my insanely loud fart can magnaflow muffler that came on the VRS 2.5" catback. Too add to the madness, the previous owner also put on a test pipe and opted NOT to get the resonated version of the exhaust.....

You can only imagine how loud it is. On top of the sound, I feel as though the setup REALLY kills some of the cars drivabiliy as 1st gear is always a bit touchy under 1500rpm when letting the clutch out... and the fact that I never even want to rev past 3K in the city because of the loudness and rasp of the exhst.


SO, I plan on eventually putting the stock catalytic back on there relatively soon (I have to get one first :( ) but before that I would like to replace the muffler with something that is much larger and actually does some "muffling".


I like the way my magnaflow looks, but I think I would much prefer a a dual tip, oval tip, or otherwise.... just not a big-ass melon-shooter can. My only other requirements are that it be relatively quiet and under $200.


ANy suggestions?


here are pics of my current muffler....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
go with a REMUS!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
If I were you, I'd put on a cat and a resonator first. You might be extremely suprised at what your exhaust sounds like after that.
 

·
V3.0 VE-T
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
na brandon, it won't help him at all. No matter how big of a resonator/muffler combo you get, it will still be loud and drones. The MAIN reason is because you have a 2.5'' catback. My suggestion is to sell it, get a 2.25 with a big muff/resonator and your car will be a lot better. More responsive on the bottom end too cause your exhaust is a lil too big for ya.

OR

Instead of getting a 2.25 catback, go find yourself a 2'' or 2.25'' MUFFLER and have the guys at a muffler shop weld that on. That will restrict your exhaust size back down to about 2'' or 2.25'' depending on what you choose. On top of that, get the big muff/resonator, and you'll be set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Mautai916 said:
na brandon, it won't help him at all. No matter how big of a resonator/muffler combo you get, it will still be loud and drones. The MAIN reason is because you have a 2.5'' catback. My suggestion is to sell it, get a 2.25 with a big muff/resonator and your car will be a lot better. More responsive on the bottom end too cause your exhaust is a lil too big for ya.

OR

Instead of getting a 2.25 catback, go find yourself a 2'' or 2.25'' MUFFLER and have the guys at a muffler shop weld that on. That will restrict your exhaust size back down to about 2'' or 2.25'' depending on what you choose. On top of that, get the big muff/resonator, and you'll be set.
Are you talking about the 2.5" pipe? I tend to agree with you there, but since mine has an exhaust leak it sounds whiney now... But I guess once the leak is fixed, it should be ok...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
Mautai916 said:
na brandon, it won't help him at all. No matter how big of a resonator/muffler combo you get, it will still be loud and drones. The MAIN reason is because you have a 2.5'' catback. .
That's not totally true. A cat makes a BIG difference over a testpipe, as would a 22" long 4" round magnaflow resonator over nothing at all. It will still be louder than a smaller exhaust setup, but it should be a TON quieter than the current setup on the car now.

I'd try that first.

I ran a 2.5" exhaust w/ the VE and it wasn't unbearably loud, and I'm REALLY picky when it comes to a loud exhaust too. For example, I find greddy exhausts to be annoying on most cars.
 

·
V3.0 VE-T
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
JustinP10 said:
That's not totally true. A cat makes a BIG difference over a testpipe, as would a 22" long 4" round magnaflow resonator over nothing at all. It will still be louder than a smaller exhaust setup, but it should be a TON quieter than the current setup on the car now.

I'd try that first.

I ran a 2.5" exhaust w/ the VE and it wasn't unbearably loud, and I'm REALLY picky when it comes to a loud exhaust too. For example, I find greddy exhausts to be annoying on most cars.
Well i agree that a cat, bigger muff/resonator WILL help with his current setup ut its still going to be loud and drones. Im running a 2.5'' exhaust on my VE too but VE's are a quieter engine when it comes to exhaust sounds. I had 2 exhausts on my VE, then slapped them on a DE and it got quite a bit louder, very noticable difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
yup cat it and get a resonator you will be much happier =)

the muffler that comes with the vrs isn't bad. after the cat and resonator if its still bad you can go with a non straight through muffler. it will hurt performance but will quite it down a lot. any muffler shop should have something in the 30-40 buck range.
 

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
Crying Freeman said:
I bought this OBX dual tip muffler from ebay for $60 shipped!!! Installation was only $50 including labor and parts.

OBX make quality mufflers with the stainless steel dual tips welded very professionally...

but how loud is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Hamzer11 said:
but how loud is it?
It has a nice deep tone sound. My G20t does not sound like a wannabe fast car.

Definitely not like the obnoxious loud ricer mufflers that you can hear coming from blocks away.

OBX makes good quality mufflers. The two stainless steel tips are nicely welded. I've compared it with other inexpensive mufflers such as APC and OBX is definitely a better made muffler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crying Freeman said:
It has a nice deep tone sound. My G20t does not sound like a wannabe fast car.

Definitely not like the obnoxious loud ricer mufflers that you can hear coming from blocks away.

OBX makes good quality mufflers. The two stainless steel tips are nicely welded. I've compared it with other inexpensive mufflers such as APC and OBX is definitely a better made muffler.

I am not so sure you should use APC as your quality comparison muffler :scream:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
BObby12many said:
I am not so sure you should use APC as your quality comparison muffler :scream:
That's very true...I only used APC as an example of a cheaply made muffler...

I did alot of comparisons with inexpensive mufflers and OBX is the best quality for the price.
 

·
no rainguard clips...FML
Joined
·
4,132 Posts
dang bobby, we have the same exact problem! except i dont think your previous owner hacked up the rear bumped to fit a center/center magnaflow :-\ has shotty piping :rolleyes: or drove around with only one hanger holding up the muffler itself :eh:

but financially im not so stable right now, so i gotta stick with it :dead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
Mautai916 said:
na brandon, it won't help him at all.
Have to disagree w/you there. Although I had a 2.25" cat-back, I was running stock cat, Thrush glasspack and a Magnaflow muffler. The only droning I got was on the highway or back roads from about 60MPH up and the droning was coming from the Place Racing motor mounts causing vainration and in-cabin drone from the header.

The exhaust sounded great from the rear and in the rear interior.

But then again, I had the 5"x8" 18" long SS Magnaflow also.
 

·
V3.0 VE-T
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
NismoPC said:
Have to disagree w/you there. Although I had a 2.25" cat-back, I was running stock cat, Thrush glasspack and a Magnaflow muffler. The only droning I got was on the highway or back roads from about 60MPH up and the droning was coming from the Place Racing motor mounts causing vainration and in-cabin drone from the header.

The exhaust sounded great from the rear and in the rear interior.

But then again, I had the 5"x8" 18" long SS Magnaflow also.
oops. lemme rephrase that. " It won't help him much " And its all mainly due to his 2.5'' exhaust. Whats going to help him out a lot is by having the correct exhaust size for his application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
they are not pretty but they are functional .. Thrush turbo or Walker/Dynomax Superturbo both are just aluminumized steel but they are some of the quietest performance mufflers made..
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top