Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an XM kit for my car, and I'm thinking about doing the following for the antenna: antenna magnetically affixed to trunk lid. Cable runs into the trunk, through the folding seats and then runs unobtrusively along the passenger's side and then up to the center console where the radio unit itself is. Is there a better mounting point signal wise? I know that the rear of the roof might be better but there's no way to run the cable through cleanly without a professional install which I don't feel like paying for.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The antennas work good, inside the car near the rear window etc. You don't have to leave it on the outside. Just letting u know, if u don't know.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
P11jdnkola27 said:
got mine on the roof. went thru the window seal
That's where I have mine, the wire is skinny enough to tuck under the window molding around the rear window and then into the trunk.

It usually works fine sitting inside the car on the back package tray, but the sound would sometimes fade-out when next to a Semi-truck or tall trees or in a drive-thru. Haven't had that problem when mounted on the roof.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
i put mine in the third brake light. its hard to see, it works great, and i always get compliments about the placement.

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
AzG20P11 said:
i put mine in the third brake light. its hard to see, it works great, and i always get compliments about the placement.

well let me give you another one! good placement, never thought about that.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Anywhere outside of the car, with the least obstructed view of the sky will logically give you the best possible signal. It WILL work inside, but I highly recommend placement on the outside.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
JDM_Ej said:
Anywhere outside of the car, with the least obstructed view of the sky will logically give you the best possible signal. It WILL work inside, but I highly recommend placement on the outside.
i have 5 bars. it doesnt get any better than that

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
JDM_Ej said:
i used to think that as well, but it really doesn't matter, you can put it inside no problem. Logically, XM and Sirius use ground repeaters anyway. this is not like your home sattelite, it's dif technology. inside the car is fine. ive driven all over with it like that.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Ahhh F that, install it inside the car. Stay nice and sleek.

However, if u live far from city u may have issues. Sad to say... XM need repeaters, more than anything.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
P10 WRC said:
i used to think that as well, but it really doesn't matter, you can put it inside no problem. Logically, XM and Sirius use ground repeaters anyway. this is not like your home sattelite, it's dif technology. inside the car is fine. ive driven all over with it like that.

If you do a little searching, Google Maps can actually show you where the ground repeaters are lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts