Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think are the best brake pads? I just bought ss lines and I am replacing my fluid with motul, but I am waiting until I find some good pads. I was debating on teh EBC Greenstuff, but I really don't know and no one around here knows anything about performance braking. Which brand do you recommend and where can I find them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, I've had good luck so far with a set of PBR Metal Master pads, this is both on and off (street) track use. On the street they are more than enough. With street tires on the track they did very well for me, no fading at all, even with the sticky falken tires. If it's for track only use there are much better pads, however for multipurpose use i've had good results with these pads. They don't really produce any brake dust either, so far they've been very clean pads, although I think this has a lot to do with how they are bedded in too. i got lucky and i must have bedded them properly this time. =)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I need to change my pads soon too. I've been debating the Greenstuffs also but I've heard both good and bad things about them. The bad was from the SR20 community the good from some drive around town BMW owner. :-\

I donno I think I'll stay away for now. I think I'll probably try some metal masters like Justin has. I've heard nothing but good about them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I get the PBR Metal Master Pads and how much should I expect to pay? Also, what kind of fluid do you recommend? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
1PhatG said:
Where can I get the PBR Metal Master Pads and how much should I expect to pay? Also, what kind of fluid do you recommend? Thanks

I forget how much I paid for the pads, but i want to say around $40? You should be able to pick them up at most any local performance shop.
For the fluid I'd recommend Motul PBF 600 for high performance applications. I've run pretty much since I got my car and I love it. It's been in the car over a year and a half, withstood two track days, many drag racing runs, "spirited" driving, and normal street driving and it's still going strong. It's something like $12 a bottle and I usually get it at a motorcycle (dirt bike actually) shop by my parent's house in Gilbert, Az. I'd call around to local bike shops, one near you should stock motul products.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What about Hawk pads? I know the Hawk blues are excellent on the track. But I know they make a street pad as well. Anybody have an opinion or experience with these?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I've always just heard of them being used as track pads? You're talking about their high perfrmance street pad right? I think the HP series is the same as the hawk blues? or is there another step up from the HP line of pads? here's what i quickly found.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Infiniti&autoModel=G20&autoYear=1995

Edit: that link doesn't work, sorry. but you can go to www.tirerack.com and do a search under 1995 Infiniti G20 and it'll bring up EBC pads, Hawk pads, and even a set of hawk rotors, iirc.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
hey guys!!!

Shouldn't the question be reflected as:

Best pads for street use are ????

Best pads for track/autocross are ???

Best pads for street and track/autocross (compromise) are ???

There are some pads that are excellent for track use but will not even work on the street!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: hey guys!!!

Chris said:
Shouldn't the question be reflected as:

Best pads for street use are ????

Best pads for track/autocross are ???

Best pads for street and track/autocross (compromise) are ???

There are some pads that are excellent for track use but will not even work on the street!
Let me try...

-Nissan (stock)

-Hawk Blues (but they need to be warmed up first, so they might not be great for autocrossing, unless you can somehow warm them first?) these are track only!

-I'd recommend something like a set of Metal Masters. Mine are made by PBR.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
yeah...

I think your right.. most track pads cannot be used for an autocross.. so everyone should consider #2 to be track only.. and #3 to be best compromise for street/track/AUTOCROSS...

OR should we have a best for Street/Autocross and a best for just Autocross too?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: yeah...

Chris said:
I think your right.. most track pads cannot be used for an autocross.. so everyone should consider #2 to be track only.. and #3 to be best compromise for street/track/AUTOCROSS...

OR should we have a best for Street/Autocross and a best for just Autocross too?
I think just keep it to:
1. track only (hawk blues?)
2. street/autocross/track (Metal Masters?)
3. street only (Nissan)

·
Registered
97 Posts
(I'll assume you are talking about street pads here.)

Metalmasters suck. Ever had a set come apart at high speed? I have. You won't ever find that junk on any of my cars again.
IMO Metalmasters, even when working properly, are only slightly better than stock Nissan pads, if any. I would use stock Nissan before I used the MM's as a result.

To get some really good stopping, though, you need to step up to some good pads. I've been experimenting with the Axxis Ultimates, and I think they are the best street pads I have found so far. They cost more than the MM's ($10 or $15 a set), but do an awesome job so far.

(This info is from a guy who has a 400HP daily driver with brakes that are too small.)

IMO, it's like this (worst to best):

-cheap auto store pads
-Nissan OEM, VGX, MetalMasters, EBC Greens
-Axxis Ultimates
-Hawk, Porterfield, Carbotech, etc.

Brake Warehouse had the Axis Ultimates in stock, front and rear for $50 a set a month or so ago. I couldn't find Hawk, Porterfield, or Carbotech application for the G, so that's what I chose. I'm happy so far.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
jayntguru said:
(I'll assume you are talking about street pads here.)

IMO, it's like this (worst to best):

-cheap auto store pads
-Nissan OEM, VGX, MetalMasters, EBC Greens
-Axxis Ultimates
-Hawk, Porterfield, Carbotech, etc.

Brake Warehouse had the Axis Ultimates in stock, front and rear for $50 a set a month or so ago. I couldn't find Hawk, Porterfield, or Carbotech application for the G, so that's what I chose. I'm happy so far.

Yup, street pads.
I agree with you on the VGX's, those SUCK! I hated them... they were horrible at the track. However, my PBR Metal Master pads are kicking ass so far for a street/track use pad. Which brand of pads did you have?
Also, I believe hawk does have a set of street pads for our cars. their HPS pads are their street line right? and the HP pads are track only (like the blues, or they are the blues?). I cannot find my hawk catalog at the moment. I'll keep looking through my stack of SEMA catalogs though, hopefully i'll find it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I caled Brake Warehouse and Carbotech and neither could find a Hawk/Porterfield application. :confused: So I dunno? That's really what I wanted.

I had the Axxis MM's, but they are all made by the same people. They just come apart too easy, I've seen it once myself and heard from a lot of others who had the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
jayntguru said:
I caled Brake Warehouse and Carbotech and neither could find a Hawk/Porterfield application. :confused: So I dunno? That's really what I wanted.

I had the Axxis MM's, but they are all made by the same people. They just come apart too easy, I've seen it once myself and heard from a lot of others who had the problem.
Bummer, maybe tirerack.com has the p10 application mixed up and has another set of pads listed for the p10, when they don't actually fit?
Hopefully my metal masters hold up, I guess time will tell. I'm gonna be swaping in ss brake lines soon, so i'll take a look at the pads at the same time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
JustinP10 said:

Hopefully my metal masters hold up, I guess time will tell. I'm gonna be swaping in ss brake lines soon, so i'll take a look at the pads at the same time.
So...did those pads hold up for you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts