Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this guy's feedback. He sold a set of new G20 headlight covers and wants to charge $15 ship fee for them on a $10 item. I know for a fact that these things cost $5.10 Priority mail to ship because that is the postage that was on the ones that I bought before my trip. What out for this scammer! The shame of it!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Chris said:
I know for a fact that these things cost $5.10 Priority mail to ship because that is the postage that was on the ones that I bought before my trip. What out for this scammer! The shame of it!
The seller can charge as much as they want to ship. Was the shipping cost listed or did it not say? Either way it is the bidders responsibility to find out the shipping cost, cost to insure, etc. If you were to go to mailboxes etc. they would charge you about $10 for the boxing, peanuts, tape and the shipping would be $5, so $15 is not an unfair price.

·
Registered
807 Posts
This is typical of all ebay seller get used to it or shop somewhere else. I payed $14 shipping when the guy payed under $7 for insured shipping, ohhh well i guess you better get a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
FYI

Although you can get some good stuff on Ebay, the way the sellers make their profit is not from the actual sale of the item, but on shipping. Just look and see how a lot of these people always claim for the buyer to add on $6-$7 for S&H and then the seller sends the package to the buyer US mail for $2-$3.:-\

America, land of oppurtunity.;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
For little stuff I dont pay for packing. But big stuff like seats. I will be damned if I'm paying for a $10 box, and foam. Thats just me though.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o.k.

that would be understandable..... but headlight covers are lightweight.. and easy to box... almost anyone can get a box for nothing and use some newspaper at the very least to package them up! I must admit that I've got an advantage for having access to packaging material and boxing material for no cost so I don't charge anyone else a fee either...

·
Registered
562 Posts
well I'm a Ebay seller and buyer but I do charge more than is actual shipping cost...Only because I have to go buy the box and packaging material and drive over to the post office. So it takes alot of time and some money and gas to get one thing shipped out. I haven't had a complaint yet and I ship out quickly so my buyers are happy. I've even taken loses on shipping because I misjudged the shipping cost. I've also been screwed because I didn't word my shipping terms right and had to ship 2nd day air to Hawaii and that ain't cheap but I paid. My ebay username is jspec_imports. Anyways I'm also sick of the people who bid and never pay...tell bullshit stories or never reply at all. They just wasted some weeks of my time and more weeks because I need to relist it again and wait for money again. AND wait to get refund back for the first auction...Ebay needs to do something about this because its getting worse.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sad but true...

I've found this venue much better than Ebay for G20 stuff just because of the increasing number of scammers on Ebay and deadbeat bidders AND Sellers!

Now-a-days it is too easy to get false negatives and too easy for buyers to become deadbeat bidders because they'll just sign up with a new id and start all over again.

I've been on Ebay since 1999 and used to take great pride in having no negative feedback... but I know a friend who has over 130 positives and still got stuck with bogus negatives that were retalitory or completely unfounded. The only reason I have no negatives is because I RARELY leave negative feedback myself, regardless of how deserving the buyer/seller is because of the retalitory problem with feedback!

Unfortunately, ebay doesn't remove feedback unless profanity is used. So the buyer and seller simply have to take ebay for what it is... a possible good tool for buying and selling BUT beware!

...I've taken a loss on shipping myself because of silly things like forgetting to check on box size changing rates and stuff like that so I know where you are coming from!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Just as a precaution, I asked how much the shipping would cost before I bid on the headlight covers.;)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
trbobrk said:

And did he tell you it was going to be $15?
:-\ $12, for us mail, and that includes the box, and the packing. :-\ So assuming I am the winning bidder, I'm looking at $25 or so. I'm not too sure about this so someone please tell me if this is a good deal or not.:paranoid:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not to me!

$15 total (including shipping) is a good deal.... $20 total including shipping is an alright deal (fair enough)... but $25 to me is way too much.. ...but that is just me! If you feel it is worth $25, then it is to you and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: not to me!

Chris said:
$15 total (including shipping) is a good deal.... $20 total including shipping is an alright deal (fair enough)... but $25 to me is way too much.. ...but that is just me! If you feel it is worth $25, then it is to you and that is all that matters.
Well...just wanted a second opinion. The only reason that I'm even wasting time with it is because most of the car parts stores around San Antonio would have to special order it and it would take 2 weeks to get it. I dunno. I'll see if I can get online first. Chances are the seller will have some more for sale on Ebay later on.:-\

·
Registered
616 Posts
eBay is very concerned about offences of this nature, as they don't get a cut of shipping fees. If you see auctions with excessive shipping charges, contact SafeHarbor HERE.
Click Contact Support at the bottom right. They will investigate the seller's auctions and quite often they end the auctions and suspend the seller.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think if seller list the shipping cost out clearly, then it should be okay. I am a seller at ebay too and I charge more for shipping because I have to pack it, and bring it to the post office and wait there. Also, ebay dont get any money off shipping cost, therefore I can save some money and sell at a lower price and pass that on to the buyers.

And I do hate deadbeat bidder too

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...but

part of the problem with reporting excessive ship fees is:

1) Ebay doesn't necessarily do much of anything

2) Mailboxes Etc. and others like it charge a premium and therefore the prices can be justified (except if you are a buyer who got an item that you were charged $25 shipping for and the actual US Postage was $3.95 which is what happened to me so I reported it with a scan copy of the box with postage to show the huge profit being made!)

3) How do you compute a fair handling and packaging fee anyway? Some people make $8 an hour while others make over $100 an hour so if it takes 15 minutes to package something and 15 minutes of waiting in line, it is fair to charge $4 handling/packaging or $50 because that is what your time is worth to you?

·
Registered
616 Posts
1. Yes they do. I got a seller's auctions closed because he was selling computer RAM for $.01 dutch, with $18.95 shipping. All his auctions got closed and he was suspended.

2. I won't pay more than $5 shipping on a small item, $8 on a larger one. Except of course if the item is heavy or excessively bulky, and would cost more to ship.

3. I always charged exact shipping, but as I see it, even if you get paid $100 an hour for whatever you do, that is not the going rate for standing in line and packing stuff. I don't care if you're George Clooney, packing stuff is a $6/hr to $15/hr job.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ah hah!

but in your case the seller posted a ship cost up front.. this particular seller on ebay did not bother to list the ship fee... a sneaky way to charge whatever you want in my opinion.....

...but what if that $18.95 was for FedEx overnight shipping? ...then it would have been justified? I've had a few people ship overnight to me but the charge was $10 so maybe overnight isn't all that expensive after all?

...but I will ALWAYS ask ahead of time what the ship cost will be and if the seller doesn't respond to me, I simply won't bother to place a bid!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts