Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so my car overheated today, so i think it is my waterpump or the radiator. the only problem now is that my car makes a knocking sound when i push the gas and black smoke comes out of my tailpipe. now i am not an expert but i am pretty sure i fried something, my only question is what? i know that black smoke means that usually it is running lean but i don't think that is it since i have a knocking noise. so if anybody has any ideas let me know i am screwed here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Black smoke-too rich. Blue smoke-burning oil.

Imagine a smoking candle, Blow on it gently and it will burn brighter and without smoking. Candle wax is a hydrocarbon and when you blow on it you are giving it more oxygen (02). It is exactly the same in your car's cylinders.

Quite the opposite of what you imagine, black smoke from the exhaust means that there is insufficient 02 to burn the hydrocarbon fuel – you are running too rich. This could be for a number of reasons, not least of which may be misfiring.

It sounds more like an ignition problem than anything – especially since you mention the "knocking noise" – which sounds like a cylinder/crankshaft inbalance. How does the engine perform?

Given the limited info you provide, who knows what your problem is? But it is definitely NOT running too lean!

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
Re: Black smoke-too rich. Blue smoke-burning oil.

Gaz said:
Imagine a smoking candle, Blow on it gently and it will burn brighter and without smoking. Candle wax is a hydrocarbon and when you blow on it you are giving it more oxygen (02). It is exactly the same in your car's cylinders.

Quite the opposite of what you imagine, black smoke from the exhaust means that there is insufficient 02 to burn the hydrocarbon fuel – you are running too rich. This could be for a number of reasons, not least of which may be misfiring.

It sounds more like an ignition problem than anything – especially since you mention the "knocking noise" – which sounds like a cylinder/crankshaft inbalance. How does the engine perform?

Given the limited info you provide, who knows what your problem is? But it is definitely NOT running too lean!

nice answer. was that an essay you wrote because it does sound like one. it even has a conclusion.:p

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
P10 WRC said:
okay so my car overheated today, so i think it is my waterpump or the radiator. the only problem now is that my car makes a knocking sound when i push the gas and black smoke comes out of my tailpipe.
Sorry to hear about that Marty, I guess the question is...How bad did you overheat the engine and for how long? This can lead to a number of things that are really bad, warping the head, block, etc...etc...

Where is the knock coming from? Does your engine, still get up there in temp, it could be the H2O pump....I dont know...the info is a little vague...

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah most likely i warped the head and now i need a new got damn engine, but i will see. The thing went way past the H on my temp gauge and it was 110 degress outside that day. it is not running good at all i just was able to start it up and drive a few miles before my friend noticed the smoke. the only bad part is that if i take it to the dealer they are gonna charge me a butload just to diagnose the problem. so i say f it, and now i am really considering the DET swap. anybody wanna let me use thier shop?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
P10 WRC said:
and now i am really considering the DET swap. anybody wanna let me use thier shop?
Sounds like a blessing in disguise!!! Give Justin or Kyle a ring Im sure they would be more than willing to help you swap that DET in for you....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts