Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
t3h jdm pinecone
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contempalting the addition of a nice 'cruising' car to my stable. I really like the BMW 740i. I'm looking at an early 2000. Black on black, black wheels, dark tint. Mafia style.

Does anyone have any input when it comes to bimmers? Anything to watch out for? I'm looking at spending around $20-25K.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
i guess the biggest thing would be get a certified pre own bmw with warrenty?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Nice choice! If you go 740i, be sure to go with the ///M Sport package - looks awesome and it'll keep it within your budget...

If you can't find a CPO 740i, try to pick up a 3rd party warranty - it will definitely pay for itself!

JAS

·
Registered
360 Posts
the BMW 740i is an amazing car..they made the sport package (M series) up until 2001. My dad has had the BMW 740i sport for about 3 years and I love the car..has awesome steering, excellent pickup and an all around smooth drive...the only problem we have had with the car is that the alternator went bad and the computer told us that the alternator was goign to die probably about 2 days before the car finally stopped..
<edit> other than that its been reliable..If you want I can take a some pics of the car for you

·
Registered
963 Posts
My old boss had two, all I can say is definitely don't get the longbody, it's set up to be a mega-old-man's-car (suspension, weight) If you CAN get the M package definitely go for it but it's not essential I wouldn't say, I think most people get it for the steering wheel and the wheels.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I like bimmers! They are nice, the handling, steering and ride are great. I have worked on my brothers E46 (bmw's 3 series) and is very straight forward... great cars to work on too.. I dont know about the 7 series but can't deviated that far from it!

·
Rare Wheels Save Lives
1,085 Posts
I had a few friends that owned one. Didnt run into much problems, but watch out for the usual used car thing and I would prefer to buy a used German car from a one owner guy with all the maintainance records. JAS is right, get a 3rd party warranty. Early 740's are no longer CPO'd.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
heard of a lot of electrical problems, but that's about it. electrical can be teh ghey. get one with a warranty you can continue as bmws get $$$ to fix teh ghey stuff.

how about this for a cruiser? :cheeky:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts