Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed my almost new Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs with "New" NGK Platinum Laser. After that I felt that the engine has lost some power. I can feel the change in acceration. First thing I have to do next weekend is to change back to Bosch Platinum+4.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Put in stock type NKG copper or plat plugs. Forget about those gimmicky plugs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
nakees said:
Today I changed my almost new Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs with "New" NGK Platinum Laser. After that I felt that the engine has lost some power. I can feel the change in acceration. First thing I have to do next weekend is to change back to Bosch Platinum+4.
Which model number plug did you get. Did you change them when the engine was cold? Did you torque them down properly? Did you make sure the plug wires were making good contact? Did any contaminets get in? Did you gap the plugs correctly? Maybe one plug was bad?

NGKs are the best for our engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the plugs 20min after stoping the engine. What is the different between changing the the plugs when engine is cold and when it is hot. I used NGK Laser platinum (PFR5B-11). BTW I didn't check the
gaps. I assumed that new plugs will have the right gap. Now I am confussed. Someone help.

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
nakees said:
I changed the plugs 20min after stoping the engine. What is the different between changing the the plugs when engine is cold and when it is hot. I used NGK Laser platinum (PFR5B-11). BTW I didn't check the
gaps. I assumed that new plugs will have the right gap.

Yah you want to make sure the engine is cold so there is no chance of warping plugs...threads.

The 5B's will run a little hotter than the 6B's...but should be fine.

The gaps *may* be set correctly at the factory, but check the service manual for the correct gaping to make sure you are developing the correct spark pattern and intensity.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nakees how about those Bosch

I just bought the same Bosch but my plugs look fine. THey must have been replaced at the proper time (60k).

Nakees, did you swap back to the Bosch again?

I may go ahead and stick them in and do my 50-70mph test (see other thread) and see if there is any measureable difference there. My brother used the Bosch +4 in his SHO but the burned up in a few months. The Bosch "one size fits many" doesn't always work.

NOTE: ALWAYS check you gap. This is one of the MOST important parameters on spark plugs. Too much gap they may not spark under certain circumstances; too little they lose alot of energy (less resistance, less spark). A set of feeler gages is only a few bucks, less than the cost of ONE spark plug.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
what is the right gap for a p10? it says in the manual 'no need to adjust gap.'

·
Registered
201 Posts
when my car hit 60k i changed the plugs. i thought i'd "upgrade" to the bosch plats. they worked great for about 2-3k miles, but went down fast after that. i posed the question to the forum community when we were all at af. i was enlightened and told that the stock ngk were the best. i switched the bosch for ngk and immediately felt a difference. i've had the ngk's on for about 17k miles and have never had any problems with them.

bottom line-get rid of the bosch b/c they are crap for our cars and get the stock ngks. you can search on www.automotiveforums.com for more info about this issue if you want more info than what you get here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i recently changed out my old coroded generic plugs with NGK's. i had advance order "NGK platinums" but when they came in, they were plat lasers. i didnt really care since they really needed to be replaced. i set the gap to the factory's minimum (.031 or so) and dropped em in.

end result - popping the clutch from 4 or 5 grand means spinning tires through 1st gear. i sure as hell know i couldnt do that before, so im looking at this as a positive upgrade ;)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
And stick to wires plugs too. I just got new set of wires of one of Andrea Miko car. He saw those blue wire and I had nd immediately ripped them out. The new wire def, amek car feels more snappy

·
Registered
306 Posts
plug gap

Most plugs are spec'd by their gap they are designed for. Bosch stamps the end of the box with the gap value.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if i was gonna change the plugs in my P10, what plugs should i get an how much are they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts