Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my car a few minutes ago, the brake and battery warning lights stayed on. When I started driving, they went off. The car has done this once before, but I don't remember what the fix was. What can cause this behavior? I don't think it's the alternator because they are not flickering and the battery isn't dying.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: Took the car up to the gas station and filled it up. Upon first start, the battery and brake lights were on. They turned off as soon as I started driving. After stopping for fuel (~10 minutes) I got back into the car and drove home. No warning lights. I even turned on every electrical accessory to see if the alternator would react. AC, rear defrost, radio, headlights, foglights. No signs of alternator weakness. Weird....could the fact that the car had been sitting in the direct sun in >90 degree weather all day contribute?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
siverink said:
change the altenator. I had same problem few weeks ago. It will die soon
Yeah from what I've read here and at NICO those lights coming on and flickering or staying on indicates a dying alternator or a bad battery (which could be possible in my car, the battery is at least 5 years old). If they come back on I will have it tested. And considering the car ran like a charm when I turned on every electrical accessory at the same time, I don't really think the alternator is going bad.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Five or six years is all you can expect from a battery. I would also go ahead and clean the battery terminals and posts.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Glad it's fixed. You had high resistance in the connections. Probably will need a new battery in another year though. The plates inside the battery will break down over time, and this leads to either shorted cells or cells that will register low on test. If your battery has removable vent caps, you can use a battery tester (looks like a coolant tester) to check the specific gravity of each cell. If you find a low cell, failure is iminent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts