Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to upgrade my brakes, but i really dont want to spend a ton of money, and i really dont think I need new rotors either... so i was wondering, can you just do swap with 300zx calipers? Or does anyone know of any other systems out there where you can just replace the calipers without getting new rotors? If so, is this not reccomended?
I was looking at the stillen site, and saw their system (which i guess isnt available for the g20?), and even it is a gripload. Brembos, all of them...
Anyway, any help or suggestions?:depressed

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
IMHO unless your running stupid HP or have extra cash to spend there really is no need.

and to answer a question *I Think* the 300Z Calipers and rotors will fit with some minor mods. Youll have to run bigger rims if you dont already have them. You will get better response from upgraded ss brake lines.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there are a few reasons....

1. I have already rear ended someone and caused $8,000 damage to my car once:*( , and it was my fault, but, I really dont think the brakes held as good as they should have (I have avoided accidents that were much closer and at faster speeds in my old 86 Rx-7, and my 83 Z):knockout:

2. I do race occasionally, and It really wouldnt hurt.

3. I plan on getting 18's very soon, and you need quite a bit more to slow those puppies down, and it would look much better too.:D

The reason I want to go this route is also because I don't need a $1,700 brembo system, when i just want a little better perfomance, and the looks to go with it. I was just figuring the calipers, if they were a match, would be an easy "bolt on" mod, and cost me half of what brembos would.

So i am just wondering if anyone knows (if they are a bolt on fit), or has done this sort of thing before.

Thanks for the ss braided brake line tip too, I do want those too, but i havent seen them for the p11.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Well, I have seen it done and I cant find the how-to site. From what I remeber (this was for a 240 or 200 or some other nissan) You have to:

1) Redrill the rotors for the existing bolt pattern (If you plan on keeping 4 lugs)

2) They took off 3mm off the overall diameter because the caliper mounting holes were just a tad closer to the axle axis (dont know if this is necessary on the G20)

3) *i think* they had to find custom brake lines but Im not 100% Positive on this.

Best bet is to find a used set of calipers and rotors at a junk yard or somewhere and play with them. Let us know what you find out...Im sure others will post here as well.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
freaktroll said:
The reason I want to go this route is also because I don't need a $1,700 brembo system

Just to clear up, the Brembo kit costs $2595 from Brembo itself plus shipping. The lowest you'll find it for sale at any shop is around $2300-2400 from what I've seen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
freaktroll said:
I was wanting to upgrade my brakes, but i really dont want to spend a ton of money, and i really dont think I need new rotors either... so i was wondering, can you just do swap with 300zx calipers? Or does anyone know of any other systems out there where you can just replace the calipers without getting new rotors? If so, is this not reccomended?
I was looking at the stillen site, and saw their system (which i guess isnt available for the g20?), and even it is a gripload. Brembos, all of them...
Anyway, any help or suggestions?:depressed

I think the Nissan pulsar GTiR calipers will fit but not 100% sure.I have also heard that the rotos are an ez swap but I think it will change the bolt pattern:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: Re: Brake Calipers

Nonelower2001 said:

I think the Nissan pulsar GTiR calipers will fit but not 100% sure.I have also heard that the rotos are an ez swap but I think it will change the bolt pattern:cool:
The rotor won't change the bolt pattern, if the bolt pattern changed it'd be because you would have to swap out the whole hub assembly . The rotor slides onto the studs that go into the wheel hub. It's the same with the Z32 brake conversion, you have to redrill the brake rotor as the hubs (and bolt pattern) are different between the two applications. It's also sorta of related to why you have to shave down the rotor, that's because the part the caliper bolts to is different between the two cars and on a G20 the caliper is closer to the center of the hub than on the 300z.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm

Well I guess that kind of answers my questions about the 300z calipers....:depressed

I guess my only other question is... any ideas for an inexpensive brake upgrade? (other than just new performance pads, or cross drilling/slotting stock rotors-which i heard was a bad idea anyway)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
truthfully, unless you're going to be doing heavy duty track racing all the time with just a TON of hp I wouldn't worry about bigger brakes, so far my upg. stock brakes (better pads and motul race fluid) have provided more than enough stopping power on both the street and the track. Stock rotors, race pads, and race fluid (like motul rbf600) should be enough for any track event, oh yeah, i'd recommend new braided lines too. 300zx brake upg is probably the next step up from that, a lot more work and money, but also more stopping power.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
freaktroll said:
Well, there are a few reasons....

1. I have already rear ended someone and caused $8,000 damage to my car once:*( , and it was my fault, but, I really dont think the brakes held as good as they should have (I have avoided accidents that were much closer and at faster speeds in my old 86 Rx-7, and my 83 Z):knockout:

are you sure it wasnt your tires that gave? cause the brakes on the p11 seems very good for daily driving. i would think the tires would be more to blame. they arent very sticky :-\

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, the strange part is i never broke traction, its like the brakes were barely applied. I did feel the ABS go on, but it sucked because i had a good 15-20 feet to stop, and i was only going about 15mph.
Since i do race occasionally, and i will be having 18's, and a turbo, i figure it would be a smart upgrade. But if just new race pads and fluid works, i may give that a go.

BTW... the stock brake system, its a two piston caliper, both front and back, correct?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AD22VF calipers

I have also heard a bit about the AD22VF calipers off of a 1991 NX2000 are supposed to be a little beefier. Anyone know anything about these, and if they fit?:confused:

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
freaktroll said:
Yea, the strange part is i never broke traction, its like the brakes were barely applied. I did feel the ABS go on, but it sucked because i had a good 15-20 feet to stop, and i was only going about 15mph.
Since i do race occasionally, and i will be having 18's, and a turbo, i figure it would be a smart upgrade. But if just new race pads and fluid works, i may give that a go.

BTW... the stock brake system, its a two piston caliper, both front and back, correct?

hmm i think u had brake failer or sumthing...15mph is nothing for the stocks brake.... but yah the AD22VF is a better cheap upgrade. i think it fits?? good for daily driving since its meant as a street setup.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
The NX brake upgrade is meant as an upg for an SE-R. I don't know the exact specs between the NX and P10 calipers, but I thought that the G20 calipers were already bigger than NX calipers. I've never heard of the NX upgrade being performed on a P10.

Here's the specs for P10 brakes.

Front: CL25VA disc brake
Cylinder Bore Diameter: 57.2mm
Pad Length x Width x Thickness: 125.6 x 46.0 x 11
Rotor Outer diameter x thickness: 257 x 22

Rear: CL9HA disc brake
Cylinder Bore diameter: 33.96mm
Pad Length x Width x Thickness: 89.1 x 39.5 x 10
Rotor Outer diameter x thickness: 258 x 9

(all measured in mm)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts