Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT FREAKIN' NOISE!!??!! ... Here's the story: Last week my car started making this weird lil' noise that wasn't a problem at first... it was a lil' rubbing noise when the car was rolling... all of a sudden the damn thing broke into a serious metal grinding rubbing noise!! It comes from the rear (passenger side) wheel... and it gets worse when I hit the brakes! When I examined it... I had metal dust (tiny lil' metal chips) all over the wheel!! I figured that the pad was probably out abd maybe it was chewing the crap out of my rotor... I ordered two Brembo rear discs and a set of four pads (front/rear) from NOPI... prices were fair enough. What I need to know is this: How come ONLY one wheel had that problem?? What could've caused just one pad to wear?? Could it be the Caliper that's worn?? HELP!! :eek:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
well

did you take it apart to look at it yet? Rear brakes in a G20 have a habit of going bad prematurely if the car just sits a long time and rusts up the rotors... This is what happened to my G20 because when I bought it, the rears were rusted and need to be replaced (rotors and pads).. and now I make sure the car is driven a decent amount of time at least once a week if not more!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Fraychild said:
How come ONLY one wheel had that problem?? What could've caused just one pad to wear?? Could it be the Caliper that's worn?? HELP!! :eek:
We would like to think our brakes all function the same, but rarely does it. same thing happend to me on a different vehicle and on my G (pad wear anyway)....these things just happen, thats why you should periodically check the pads to see how they are wearing....just remeber to fully bleed your lines when you do the install, but of course you knew that...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah, you did wear the pad all the way down to the metal. No, they don't wear the same. My front left pad went bad before my right side did and started griding.

Make sure the capiper return springs and hardware are okay when you do the replacement. Might as well replace the caliper hardware anyway since it's only like $30 for for the guides and plates.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
DUDE, I am in the same situation. I am driving and all of a sudden I hear the grinding metal noise coming from my FRONT right wheel. Sounds really horrible. I am guessing my pads are just worn out, in fact I am hoping that its just that.

Anyways, gonna go over to the dealer and make sure that is the problem. I think the price for all pads and installation is like $180 or so, is that a reasonable price?

peace

·
Registered
529 Posts
wickedG20 - I don't think there is such a thing as a reasonable price when it comes to the dealer. =)

I don't know what part of So Cal you are in, but I used to go to Metro Infiniti in Duarte. They were cheaper than others around that area. Unfortunately, it has been almost 2 years since I lived in So Cal :*( , so things may have changed.

If you and a buddy are mechanically inclined, you can save yourself a lot of $ by doing it yourself. I changed my front pads a few months ago and it cost under $50 for everything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
wickedG20 said:
DUDE, I am in the same situation. I am driving and all of a sudden I hear the grinding metal noise coming from my FRONT right wheel. Sounds really horrible. I am guessing my pads are just worn out, in fact I am hoping that its just that.

Anyways, gonna go over to the dealer and make sure that is the problem. I think the price for all pads and installation is like $180 or so, is that a reasonable price?

peace
Hey Zack,

I just changed my brake pads and rotors a few weeks ago. I bought Stillen Metal Matrix Pads and Stillen Cross drilled rotors. It's easy so you shouldn't pay the dealer for something like that. You can use that money for a upgraded brake setup and do it yourself. I can help you out if you want. It'll only be like an hour or 2 tops. :)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!

Darn! I feel like singing Micheal Jackson's: "You are not alone... I am here with you..." song... but I doubt you guys would want to hear my beautiful voice... :lol:
Anyways, I'm glad to hear from all of you, I was getting pretty paranoid.
I drive my car everyday to work... except it's parked all day in the lot... I doubt that's a long enough period of time for rust though...

just remeber to fully bleed your lines when you do the install, but of course you knew that...
...uuhhh.. Yeah... I knew that.....seriously.... :nervous:

Caliper hardware?... what's that? I thought you'd have to buy the whole Caliper set when changing calipers (expensive too)... I'll look that up by the way! Thanx for the tip!!

I got the Brembo discs from NOPI for about $25 each, the rear set of pads for $20 and front set of pads for $25... That's a lil' under $100 for the parts, not bad compared to the dealer!!... Me and my friend can take care of the installation ourselves or my Mech can do it for an extra $30... and probably get the front rotors cut...

I changed pads on my Civic before and it's true... it's definitely cheaper to do it yourself!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mike.Com said:

Hey Zack,

I just changed my brake pads and rotors a few weeks ago. I bought Stillen Metal Matrix Pads and Stillen Cross drilled rotors. It's easy so you shouldn't pay the dealer for something like that. You can use that money for a upgraded brake setup and do it yourself. I can help you out if you want. It'll only be like an hour or 2 tops. :)
damn, that would've been awesome but unfortunately I already took it to the dealer (I couldn't stand the screeching the car was making). They replaced the brake pads and rotors, took about 3 hours. If I wasn't so n00bish, I would of done it myself lol. But its all good because they replaced the antenna mast and mount ($140) for free under warranty to (The antenna wouldn't retract before). I COULD SWEAR that my ride now rides smooth as hell, compared to before. I don't get it, could changing the rotors cause the car to roll smoother?

I also swung by the nissan dealership across Miller Infiniti and they were teaching the dealers all about the 350Z, they had a pumpkin colored one their! It was badass. It has the same color leather interior as the exterior pumpkin color.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...The Z...

Ahhh... The 350... Probably came with an BIG BRAKES kit too!! ... and when the wheels roll... you can read through the spokes: "NISSAN 350Z"... dreams... *sigh* By the way, have you guys seen the upcoming 'G35 coupe' Try this link

Go to: Infiniti Future Models ... sucker comes with 6-speed manual, 3.5L, 270+hp and beautifully tire-wrapped 18" wheels!! Looks good enough to me....

Anyways! Back to BRAKE ISSUES!!! As for the smoother ride! I know for sure I'll get that peace of mind as soon as I get them done!! I can't wait, I'll probably do the job today or tomorrow! The Boneheads at NOPI disn't have the front pads available... so I'll have to go get them at an AutoZone or PepBoys or something... It's all good. I'll keep you updated about the status on my brakes!! Thanx again!!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

BURNING SMELL!!! This morning it was pouring cats and dogs all over NY! I was driving through traffic when I came across this huge puddle of water on the right lane of the highway... I felt no fear or caution and drove right through it... still with my not-fixed-yet-metal-grinding-noisy-brakes, and the car started to stall a lil', like it had a sudden power surge, then my Anti-Lock Brake light came ON and my radio speakers and lights went really low (like the car was dying), then came this burning smell through the vents...!! I don't know what it was, but I know I burned something ya'll!!! I started thinking that maybe it's the sensor for the Anti-Lock that's stripped and is starting to get affected... and maybe with the water it caused a short circuit.... I don't know... but one thing for sure.. I NEED THAT BRAKE JOB FAST!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sWEEt

OOhh! Sweet sound of tranquility and silence!! I just got my brakes installed and BOY they feel and 'sound' good!!! I was also told that maybe the reason why the idle dropped when I hit that puddle was maybe cuz I got water on my belts! So ... not my concern is my engine swap... I'll keep you guys updated!! Thanx again! ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
can somebody walk me thru changing my brake pads on a 92 G20? i never done it myself before but i keep hearing its easy. all i've ever done is oil changes and rotating tires and little things like spark plugs and other sensors. any help is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts