Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Which to mod/maintain first?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm having trouble deciding what to maintain/mod next. currently my brakes squeal and brake fine (not on a dime though :( ) and my suspension is always knocking left and right (shocks/struts blown. eibachs....bleh).

my choice for DD brake set up:
from eBay
includes 4 rotors (fr/rear) and 8 sets of pads. price comes to $158shipped
from everythingg20
steel braided brake lines. price comes to $115shipped

total for brakes: $273

my choice for suspension:
from eBay
kyb gr-2 oem replacement shocks/struts. price comes to $238shipped
from everythingg20
tein s-techs. price comes to $130shipped

total for suspension: $368 (without other stuff like dustboots/bumpstops)

lmk what you think...i've already decided to mod/maintain for DD status so please dont tell me to look into agx's or get more aggressive pads for the brakes, i've already thought this through just looking for some encouragement as to which i should do first...

bare in mind it'll be frickin cold out when i work on the car :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
I suggest doing the suspension first simply because it sounds like the one with more problems. Sorry about the cold. I wouldn't even try anything myself in the cold, I don't like it and it doesn't like me.

Also, to do the suspension you need to pull the brakes, I believe, so suspension first will give you slightly less work in the long run.

As for brakes, flushing the fluid with some good quality stuff might help if you have not done that already.
________
Ford cd2 platform specifications

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Do the suspension first, but do something better than the ebay rotors. I have a set of crossdrilled on the front and don't really like them too much. The powerslot rotors i have now though i love so much more, and EBC greenstuff pads rock. Its gonna be a bit more money but its definitely worth it.

Do you have a set of mep's mounts for the front though cause that will definitely be something to get once you do your springs/struts over again.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If your brakes are squealing, why is this even a question? Safety always comes first. Otherwise, post up where your driving and at what times, so the rest of us can stay off the roads ;)

Also, GR2's suck with upgraded springs. They might be fine for a little while, but they will wear out way quicker. Do it right and get some Koni's if you dont like AGX's.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Suspension is a safety issue as well if he has blown struts

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
If I were going to get cheap pads I'd get the Autozone ones -- $12 for pads with a lifetime warranty so you can just bring them back when they wear out and they will replace them for free.

Oh wait, I actually DID do that... :p

Also, if your brakes only squeal when you're using them it's not an issue yet. When they start squealing all the time... that's when you have a problem. ;)

Finally, you may not need rotors. I got front rotors and realized afterwards there was no reason for me to. Even if they're a little scuffed up you can get them resurfaced.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
thefultonhow said:
If I were going to get cheap pads I'd get the Autozone ones -- $12 for pads with a lifetime warranty so you can just bring them back when they wear out and they will replace them for free.

Oh wait, I actually DID do that... :p

Also, if your brakes only squeal when you're using them it's not an issue yet. When they start squealing all the time... that's when you have a problem. ;)

Finally, you may not need rotors. I got front rotors and realized afterwards there was no reason for me to. Even if they're a little scuffed up you can get them resurfaced.
Those $12 pads suck, hands down, bar none. Yea, you might be able to return them, but isnt the extra cost worth it to know that your getting something you can actually stop with in an emergency situation? My roomate was trailering a car with his truck with those on it, and had to stand on the brakes, and they would not lock up/go into ABS mode. Cheap sure. Scary is more like it.
Squealing is a sign you need to replace them. They are either glazed or down the the wear indicator. Both are reasons for concern.
New rotors are cheap, plus your cutting down on the material that is used for heat dissipation. Not to mention all the time you waste running around/waiting for them to be turned. Not worth it IMO.
jasezero said:
Suspension is a safety issue as well if he has blown struts
You can still stop the car with a blown suspension.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
blairellis said:
You can still stop the car with a blown suspension.
Yeah but in an emergency panic turn it won't respond the way it should either.

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and hence why i needed some help with the decision!

thanks for ALL your replies, i am definitely taking them all into consideration!

for the brakes, i know they are OK for now but i wanted to replace the rotors as well because the p/o had put on some generic drilled rotors that i dont agree with and that are now heavily scored so i wont waste money getting them resurfaced, so new pads AND rotors will be a must, atleast for the fronts (then again...squeal is comming from the rear left rotor...so they have to go too!)

i have done my research for prices for brembo blanks and im happy with the prices for them. the ebay ones, pretty much price of rotors, the pads are negligible IMO and can definitely be upgraded

suspension...
YES i want MEP mounts, YES i want AGX's, YES i will get the s-techs.....
BUT...$$$ is the only thing holding me back. "do it once do it right"...i know i know but i am actually planning to do gr-2/s-techs right now and upgrade to agx's in the spring time because i have a family friend who owns a p10 as well but has blown shocks who i can sell them to so im not worried there. mep mounts....i'll have to send a PM so a certain someone...

anyone else have opinions?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Brembo blanks are no better than the economy ones from advance, napa, monkeyzone, etc. Almost all the SER cup guys run the cheap ones. They dont bother paying for the brembo name. Because its just that, a name. You will have way more cash to spend on your suspension if you get the cheap economy rotors from a parts store.

I just ordered all 4 rotors from advance, the total was $73.96 for all 4 corners. Thats half of what you quoted for a price. And Brembos do NOTHING extra for you. I got a set of Metal Masters at all 4 corners as well as the rotors, for about the same price you will buy just the rotors. (rotors, metal masters, and brake fluid - $188.88)

Keep in mind, the brake pad quality is 10x more important than the rotor name brand.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
This is exactly what I ordered here:

Axxis Metal Masters -
Front: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=0881381M&parttype=219&ptset=A
Rear: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=0881447M&parttype=220&ptset=A

Rotors -
Front: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=RAY&mfrpartnumber=96063RGS&parttype=221&ptset=A
Rear: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=RAY&mfrpartnumber=96408RGS&parttype=221&ptset=A

Brake Fluid:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3222&mfrcode=VLV&mfrpartnumber=059

If you want to be giving, I get paid by these guys for how much volume I send them. If you feel like hooking me up if you order from there, I would appreciate it.

PM Me, Ill give you the details on how to help out if your interested.

PS - Free shipping on anything over 50 bucks. The pads qualify you for free shipping alone, the rest is a bonus :)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I didn't vote yet, but looking at your list there and reading what you wrote you seem to have some built in mini upgrades to both options.

My suggestion would be to get the car running great as a DD and then worry about the mini upgrades so I would:

includes 4 rotors (fr/rear) and 8 sets of pads. price comes to $158shipped
kyb gr-2 oem replacement shocks/struts. price comes to $238shipped

= $396

Then after you take a break and build up some more funds then you can go do the SS lines/s-techs. This seems to keep you in line with your rough budget (just judging by what you have above). I think that would make the biggest difference in how it drives from day-to-day. I also realize it's annoying to take things apart 2x but if you're doing the work yourself...

Just my thoughts. Good luck with you decision!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
blairellis said:
If your brakes are squealing, why is this even a question? Safety always comes first. Otherwise, post up where your driving and at what times, so the rest of us can stay off the roads ;)
I couldn't agree more. Cars that have marginal brakes are dangerous.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i would go with the suspension upgrades. i have the s-techs and i love them. even though they are a little rough, they increase your cornering and reduces your sway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
stop driving on people's ass! When you passed your driver license, did u not learn not to be closer than 3 sec to your front car? (or few lenght per 30 miles and add one per each 10 miles) Your friend would have a nicer truck by now if he/she was not dumb ass as you described him/her. The difference that brake pads make are generally marginal in accidents. If you hit a car and you would have not if you had an extra 12 inches then your relative speed was less than 5 miles. This means, some scratch on the bumper. What was the last time you heard somebody rolled over or totalled the car doing 5 miles an hour?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts