Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was planning on driving my friends '91 G20 about 30 miles to a nearby town to hang out w/ some friends. got going OK, got on the freeway OK, then while cruising it popped out of of gear (as it often does in 5th, though previously only when i hit the clutch) so i pressed the clutch and tried to shift except the shifter was sloppy as all h***. tried to fight it a little while coasting then pulled into the shoulder in resignation and started pulling the boot off and crawled under the car (jacked up of course, im not that thin. not that it helped) and finally decided, after about 30 minutes and a cop inquiring how i was doing, that somehow the bracket that the shifter sits in had become no longer attatched to the chassis toward the front. i eventually figured out how to twist the shifter to select 1st, 3rd, and 5th. 2,4,R were unavailable as the shifter just refused to hit the angle required. soooooo i limped home using the odd gears in the shoulder. luckily i was only about 2 miles down the highway when it happed so it wasnt far. im about to tear into it, wish me luck. :angry:

thats why i like RWD...stick is IN the tranny and is very hard to break it loose in there. :p dont get me wrong, i do like this car, its nice and peppy for a stock car its age and mileage (240k miles) SR20 rocks.

BTW while familiar w/ forums (lots of time on toyotacressida.net) im not sure if yours is organized that this technical problem should be in the tech pages or the general discussion.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
figured out what the deal was and fixed it. apperently the rear of the engine cross member pulled past the bushings on the bolts. the heads of the bolts are just small enough to let this happen instead of holding onto the cross member when the bushings disintegrate. the extra play in the engine caused/allowed the speedo cable to pull out of the tranny last week (i just stuck it back in and its fine) and made the front of the gearshift bracket work its way off the bolt on the back side of the engine/tranny. after a fair amount of swearing and sweating a friend and i managed to get the x-member bolts off, reposition the x-member, and bolt it back up. then the shift bracket was aligned and bolted that back in. the rear bushings were replaced with several thick 7/16 washers (little metric hardware at the local hardware store) and replaced the plate supposed to hold the shift bracket on with a properly sized fender washer of decent thickness. all said and done the shifters rock solid with NO play at all. clicks into all gears perfectly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
im guessing the washers rusted off then. they were still present on the forward bolts (rubber not so much). not overly suprised as it its got 240k miles from 15 years in the midwest with salted roads. its in wondrous shape for its age. a friend of mine with a 350 whp cressida said "wow, yea it is fast". all things considered thats saying something. now i need to replace a rear caliper with seals like a screen door apperently.

not a very active forum, eh? or is it just that im not doing turbo and coilovers?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm hoping i have a similar problem after a clutch install, 5th gear randomly works or doesn't work (have to hit the angle just right)

fwd makes me crazy :p

yes, we're quite active actually, atleast i think so.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
WOW, ive never seen those crossmember bolts pull thru like that before, nice job on fixing it. You might want to check into some new motor mounts for the rear at least. That helps loads on engine movement, especially the prothanes.

edit: yes this is an active forum, you just hit us with something that, personally, ive never seen before. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol. gotcha. i would certainly hope its a rare problem. its rather serious and i could see someone spending untold sums on a mechanic if you dont have the know-how to spend only $2.50. now on to the leaking rear caliper....right after i replaced the other rear caliper, disk and all 4 pads. *sigh* old cars, gotta love em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts