Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering incase i ever get the ballz to get my cai how much hp would i lose by adding a by pass vavle onto a hotshot intake. I heard there was a loss of hp but it was never specified on how much of a loss i would be facing.
Another questions is about eyelids and grills. I love the nismo grill but 3bills is to much i'm aiming at more 150-200 for a grill so if anyone is sellin one used or somethihng give me an email and does anyone have any suggestions on Tight looking eyelids. the need for speed ones are nice but they're to slim i want bigger eyelids.
thanks for your time
nick

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
You shouldn't lose any HP with a by-bass valve. It should only open when the filter is emersed in water.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've never heard anything about losing power with a BPV. Like G-Forces said, the vents are fairly stiff and only open when the filter is submerged in water. So there shouldn't be any loss of HP unless maybe the shape of the BPV somehow distorts the airflow... but, if it does at all, it would probably be insignificant.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Bruing20 said:
I've never heard anything about losing power with a BPV. Like G-Forces said, the vents are fairly stiff and only open when the filter is submerged in water. So there shouldn't be any loss of HP unless maybe the shape of the BPV somehow distorts the airflow... but, if it does at all, it would probably be insignificant.
I think that the HP loss would be more because of the hot air in the engine compartment.(since that's where the bypass valve usually located.):monkey:
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
69 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

I think that the HP loss would be more because of the hot air in the engine compartment.(since that's where the bypass valve usually located.):monkey:
Just my 2 cents.

Good point, I didn't even consider that. However, if i'm not mistaken, the CAIs made for the P11 aren't "true cold air intakes". The power gains are attributed to the larger piping, not so much the colder air. And besides, the CAI is made of metal, which conducts heat rapidly. The BPV is plastic, which is a little more resistant to heat. If anything, the CAI might even make the air cooler. But in any event, whether hotter or colder, the difference in temperature is probably so negligible that it wouldn't make any difference to HP.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Audio Piper said:
Wouldn't the BPV cause be a slight hp loss because of the added turbulance in the air flow?
It could. But it wouldn't really be anything noticeable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Audio Piper said:
Wouldn't the BPV cause be a slight hp loss because of the added turbulance in the air flow?

It could. But it wouldn't really be anything noticeable.

I could swear that I heard that before somewhere...

:lick:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Bruing20 said:
I could swear that I heard that before somewhere...

:lick:
:cheeky: .......yeah, come to think of it......it does sound familiar.....
.....wonder who I stole, er, borrowed that from....:whistle:
;) :p ;)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

Just my 2 cents.
What are you talking about? You're worried about your motor losing some HP because it's injesting some hot compartment air? The only time it should open is when the filter is under water. I'd take some loss of power over sucking water into the motor anyday of the week. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone here have a bypass valve attached to their hotshot intake? is it working fine, cuz i heard their might be some sensor problems or someting like that?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
does anyone here have a bypass valve attached to their hotshot intake? is it working fine, cuz i heard their might be some sensor problems or someting like that?
I have the AEM by-pass valve on my HS CAI. I haven't had any loss of HP or any sensor probs.
Now the only probs I've heard are that it may fall apart. If you haven't seen one, its plastic and has a kinda foamy (sponge type) material, so if water comes in it spills it out through the material. I can't remember who told me or where I read it at, maybe on AF, the person said that it broke in half. But that was probably due to they didn't have the piping straight and the BPV was sitting at an angle.
As it falling apart, I'd imagine if the foamy-sponge like material was to get brittle and may fall apart it inside your engine and cause a few probs.
This is a word of caution of those who are DIY and you want to add the BPV, it does add about a couple inches to your piping. So first off, take the battery out, temp fit all your piping w/ your BPV, and locate your hole for cutting so it can all fit right. If you don't you may sell yourself short and you won't be able to get your air sensor back in, and then you'll have to cut into your precious G a little bit more.
Also if youre getting a AEM BPV, make sure you get the right size, AEM makes 3 or 4 different sizes, I think it maybe the 3.25" to fit the HS CAI.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G-Forces said:
You're worried about your motor losing some HP because it's injesting some hot compartment air?
No. Not at all. I was only stating that if there was any type of power loss caused by the bypass valve, it would most likely be because of its location. And like you said, the only time that it would even be needed is if the entire filter itself was submerged. I seriously doubt I'll be driving through any deep puddles anytime soon. Hey, I'm with you G-Forces. I would much rather lose a few hp than lose an engine(and a couple thousand bucks to replace it.:monkey: ;) )

·
Registered
69 Posts
littlerudegirl said:

Now the only probs I've heard are that it may fall apart. If you haven't seen one, its plastic and has a kinda foamy (sponge type) material, so if water comes in it spills it out through the material. I can't remember who told me or where I read it at, maybe on AF, the person said that it broke in half. But that was probably due to they didn't have the piping straight and the BPV was sitting at an angle.

I think that was me. I posted on AF about my BPV snapping in half. It was sitting at a slight angle and lasted a while before it happened. I might cut the pipe a little more and move the BPV up more, away from the bend, then just use a coupler to make up for the lost length.

I saw this ad in Import Tuner for a company called Rtec-usa.com. They made an aluminum bpv and even replaced that foamy part with a metal mesh. It looked pretty sweet, but i haven't seen them advertise it again. They probably got sued by AEM for the design. It's too bad because i wanted to buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts