Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the previous owner had installed a CAI, but to my eye it looks messed up... first all, its generic, looks very very ebayish.. 2nd there is about small gap in the intake.. just about enough to put a pencil tip in (not just the lead part, a little of the wood itself, but not as large as the yellow part of the pencil).. its right where the peice connects, like the ends dont meet up flush, and its sucking air in through the gap instead of down from the wheel well.

its located right here *(not my intake, ill get a pic of it soon, this is just showing location)

now, there is a screen that i can see on the inside of the gap to keep large objects from being sucked in, but its a rather open screen (large holes)... im worried.. ill try and get a pic of the actual intake.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
First off, that appears to be a hotshot intake, not an ebay crapper (those go for over 200$ typically). The hole in the thing is kinda worrying. Is it in the meatl or in the silicone coupler? Does it look like an intentional bung for a sensor, etc? If it is in the silicone, you can get a new coupler for cheap...if it is in the metal, lower section, you can take off the second pipe and attatch the filter directly to the maf. If it is in the upper metal, you need new metal....anywho.
-Rocky

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
if theres a gap, just pull on the unit, and see if you can line it up better, then tighten the clamps over it... unless the arrow points between the MAF and adapter plate, which then you just tighten them together... the screen i dunno about...

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Jaded_Panda said:
its located right here *(not my intake, ill get a pic of it soon, this is just showing location)
popthedwarf said:
First off, that appears to be a hotshot intake, not an ebay crapper (those go for over 200$ typically). The hole in the thing is kinda worrying. Is it in the meatl or in the silicone coupler? Does it look like an intentional bung for a sensor, etc? If it is in the silicone, you can get a new coupler for cheap...if it is in the metal, lower section, you can take off the second pipe and attatch the filter directly to the maf. If it is in the upper metal, you need new metal....anywho.
-Rocky
:knockout:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that pic isnt mine (need to get a camera from someone, i dont have one myself) but it looks similar, silver pipes, red couplers.. it was said that the previous owner was a doctors son, so it might be hotshot or a nice brand name, but the actual bracket where my arrow is pointed isnt flush, its not touching.. so the air flow (i belive) is being sucked from this gap in the braket to braket.. (like in that pic above.. the black piece that connects the 2nd silver pipe, to the silver maf?( i think) the gap is there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
wow, if thats true you dont have a filter on your intake and are sucking in dirt, etc. DONT DRIVE IT LIKE TAHT!!! We need a real pic to help you out!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That makes little since. Is there an actual hole in something, or just a gap. If it is just a gap pull the coupler over the maf and tighten....

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
dwarf i think youre ALLL confused lol

its a gap between MAF and MAF adapter

there are 4 bolts around the outside, tighten them and it will bring the 2 together. unless there is something in the way?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
So the gap is between the MAF and the coupler adapter.........
I would undo the adapter and try to reseat it or replace the adapter.
Perhaps its warped, good luck, D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im sorry i make little cents. i know its hard without a camera to put the picture in your heads. .

in the picture imagine the black peice is 3~4 mm apart from the maf(silver thingy) when it should be flush. completely tightend.. the problem is the screws are in, and all the way, its just there is a gap still, as if it didnt line up, and the prev owner just let it be... car has 107 miles, last owner had it 2 years and went 50k miles with it.. so i hope it didnt do damage? (not sure when in those 2 years he put the CAI on.. but if its been like this long.. could it be serious damage? as of right now the engine sounds good, and drives well.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pS: thankyou so much for your help! im at work now, but i will take a closer look at it once i get out. and try to get a pic.. i think a friend of mine has a camera phone =D

thanks!
-jaded

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanky thank thankyou! all your guys help is more then appreciated! =D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts