Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would it be to install these parts:

Camshafts
Cam gears
Valve springs
Retainers
Head Gasket (a must if installing S&R's from what i've heard)

or

Camshafts
Cam Gears

What is a reasonable price for installation at a shop?

If i'm missing anything well just add it to the list

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most shops charge by the hour...so, assuming that they know what they're doing, it'll probably be around 5-6 hours or so. But from what I can tell, cams/gears/gaskets aren't hard to do yourself, the springs and retainers might be though. Most shops around me charge $60-$75/hr
So, you're looking at $400+ easily. I've been charged more just to put on rotors and pads.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You dont need a head gasket to install S&R. There is a specialty tool that allows you to do everything you listed w/o taking off the head. In anycase, with everything you listed, your probably looking at $300-$500.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plastikcaktus said:
Most shops charge by the hour...so, assuming that they know what they're doing, it'll probably be around 5-6 hours or so. But from what I can tell, cams/gears/gaskets aren't hard to do yourself, the springs and retainers might be though. Most shops around me charge $60-$75/hr
So, you're looking at $400+ easily. I've been charged more just to put on rotors and pads.
I heard theyre not hard to install if you know what youre doing from reading. But i'm gonna do it myself and f-up my car. That sucks they overcharged you for installing rotors n pads.

SucKit said:
You dont need a head gasket to install S&R. There is a specialty tool that allows you to do everything you listed w/o taking off the head. In anycase, with everything you listed, your probably looking at $300-$500.
Oh I dont need to install the head gasket okay thats koo. dang around $300-$500 :hurt:

David99G20T said:
Hey Alex,

Are you just trying to rebuild your head? or are you adding aftermarket performance parts?
I'm adding aftermarket performance parts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
At a Nissan dealership a cam install is about 3 hours at the cost of $60 to $80 per hour. Get a quote first...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Best advice so far: quote. I think if I were going to buy them I would probably try the install myself. But then again my insurance covers tow, so if I get stuck I can always call a mechanic to the rescue.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cryss said:
i was quoted $200-$250 for a cams installed. I said screw it. $700 just for cams :zoinks:
Thats not bad, but u did buy the jwt cams that were like 500ish

ZoliElo said:
At a Nissan dealership a cam install is about 3 hours at the cost of $60 to $80 per hour. Get a quote first...
3 hours, so that will probably come around $300, I'ma go get a quote this week at my infiniti dealer thats like 5mins away from my pad, ha only been there once to buy an oil filter lol. I should also try Universal City Nissan thats right by my job and get a quote from them.

biomimetic said:
Best advice so far: quote. I think if I were going to buy them I would probably try the install myself. But then again my insurance covers tow, so if I get stuck I can always call a mechanic to the rescue.
I'll take that advice and thats what i'm doing. I would love to do it myself and have pride in my hard work and feel good you know what I mean, but I dont have the tools and if I mess up or break something and then i'ma be car-less

·
Registered
494 Posts
why dont you post on SR20forum and see if someone local too you is willing to do it for like $100. I can change the cams in like an hour. Its not that hard especially if you know what your doing. Just ask in the regional forum. That way you help a forum member with his financial situation and you get a deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
818, if you just want a cam install than just pm me, but if you also need to install valve springs then it is best to go a nissan mechanic.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
i will do cam, installes for $100 if any of you guys are local. keep in mind i will refuse install if you bring me fuc$ed up cams you bought used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts