Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I was wondering if it was possible to change the DE head with the VE head and have the same 190hp. Can this be done?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I wish it could be done but it just doesnt work. It would be cheaper and smarter to just turbo your DE, You would also get better results.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Or if you're lucky, just find/buy the SR20VE. Then turbo THAT if you want.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Something like the heads don't line up right. Ask Geo. He's the man.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
That's exactly it. The head doesn't fit. You'd think it would but it doesn't. Like others said. Get a VE it would be cheaper. BTW have you found someone that sells just the heads or are you just throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friend of mine just semi-rebuilt his R33 RB26DETT. He has been working on his car at Motorex and said that they can get motor parts from Japan but was thinking it could be cheaper to just bring over heads....but I know the VE is still pretty new so it wouldn't be easy to find one of these and for a cheap price...well just a thought...

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Nahh, tony just get the whole damn thing. :) You'll love it, trust me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to do that but that motor is still pretty damn expensive and will be that way for some years...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
how much have you found that engine for??

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There was an SR20VE at SR20Dev that they were selling for $2000 or so. I forgot exactly, but I do remember them pricing it BELOW an SR20DET. The engine looked in pretty good condition too, especially with that "Neo-VVL" badge on top.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
damn, thats not bad at. Is the VE swap any easier than the det???

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I really don't know. Chris over at SR20Dev was saying they both drop in, but the DET needs to have plumbing done for intercooler and some other stuff. Any DET swap article should give you details. I didn't really ask too much about the VE swap (I had never even heard of the SR20VE at the time and thought that the Neo-VVL badge looked hokey) but I assume it'd drop in too, and then you'd need a daugther board on your ECU to run the VVL. Supposedly, some of the pipings don't line up either (like the exhaust) but once again, I'm really not sure. You can try emailing SR20Dev on their website. They'd be glad to give you more info.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remeber reading on this somewhere and that altough the head fits, some of the parts don't line up right. It'll go on and it'll work. But it won't work as well a pukka VE. I'm now going of on a search to find where I read this....

*edit*
Another related thread
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15741&highlight=sr20ve+head

I've been looking more, and aparrently some of the oil passageways need wreworking but it looks more promising than I first thought.

Additionally, It looks like the SR16VE head would go. Andreas Miko seems to be the man in the know on these things. Anybody friendly with him?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So was I just really lucky to be offered one by SR20Dev? And was I just really stupid that I didn't take the chance, simply because I didn't even know the potential of Neo-VVL back then? I mean, damn, I was there pulling at the SR20VE's spark plug wires and sticking my fingers in it and stuff. Having seen 'em already, I have this tendency to think of them as not being too rare.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
So was I just really lucky to be offered one by SR20Dev? And was I just really stupid that I didn't take the chance, simply because I didn't even know the potential of Neo-VVL back then?
I think you should just run back over there and grab one... it'll fit under your shirt!!! ... I'll be the driver outside waiting.... :bandit:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts