Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The brakes on my 2002 G20 Sport are about ready to be changed... but times are hard and our family is looking to be prudent in our expenditures. Is brake replacement something I can do myself, or do I really need to take the car to a mechanic? I'm good with my hands and have a technical background, but don't know anything about the specifics of brake maintenance. What do you folks say... is this something I can credibly learn to do for myself, or will I be putting my family's safety at risk? Want to do the job right but also spend my money as efficiently as I can.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
You can definitely do this yourself, as long as you have the tools. There is really not much to it.

Front brakes are super-easy. Undo 2 bolts, remove the caliper from the carrier, take the pads out, clean everything, reinstall pads, push piston back, put the caliper back in position, replace bolts. If you replace rotors, it's only 2 bolts to remove the carrier. Really simple. I could do the whole deal in less than an hour.

Rears are a little more complicated because of the ratcheting caliper. You have to have a special tool to retract the piston. And alignment of the notches in the caliper piston can be critical to getting the caliper back on. Still pretty simple...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
or if youre local, id be more than happy to help out a fellow board member.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
1. Take the wheel off
2. Remove the lower bolt on the back of the caliper. There should be 2, but you only need to take the bottom one off and that allows you to swing the caliper up out of the way. This saves you a little time.
3. Take out the pads and install the new ones. One of the pads will have a little metal piece running along the pad. you will know what im talking about when you see it. this one goes in the back.
4. Get a C-clamp, place one end behind the caliper where it isnt hitting anything. place the other end on the piston (the metal circular object). !!!!!!take the brake fluid reservoir cap off!!!!!! and then slowly clamp the piston with the clamp until you feel resistance. then put the cap back on the reservoir.
5. swing the caliper back over the pads/rotor and reinsert the guide bolt and tighten down.
6. put the wheel back on and pump the brake pedal until it gets hard.

the guide bolts should be lubricated with brake lube that you can get at any auto store. sorry i dont have any pics. good luck.

edit- and to answer your question; this is definately something you can do by yourself.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You have to have a special tool to retract the piston. And alignment of the notches in the caliper piston can be critical to getting the caliper back on. Still pretty simple...
Most auto shops, I know AutoZone for sure, will loan you a set of tools if you pay a deposit. You just pay the price of the toolkit which is about $20, and get your money back when you return it. You pretty much just need a ratchet and maybe a breaker bar to get the job done.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
^basic ratchet set along with a breaker bar and a c clamp....then you need the special socket tool to spin the rears back into the caliper clockwise.(although it can be done with a pair of needle nose pliers.)

btw there is no 2002 G20t it became the sport model in 2002.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^basic ratchet set along with a breaker bar and a c clamp....then you need the special socket tool to spin the rears back into the caliper clockwise.(although it can be done with a pair of needle nose pliers.)
Breaker bar... do you mean like a pry bar, or is that a specialized tool of some sort?

Thanks for the tools list. Got the ratchet set! I'm sure I've got a suitable c clamp floating around here somewhere as well... wouldn't mind picking up one of those special socket tools assuming the cost isn't extreme.

It's not the hardest job in the world but seeing as how brakes are pretty important it'd be nice with someone who's done it before. I'd take Chickenwing up on his offer and buy him pizza and beer in return for looking over your shoulder :)
Good point. :thumbsup:

or if youre local, id be more than happy to help out a fellow board member.
PM sent.

btw there is no 2002 G20t it became the sport model in 2002.
Oops. Guess in my head they're pretty much the same... we used to have a 1993.5 model, which likely added to the confusion! Edited my original post as well as profile description. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm... one other thing... I don't have one of those fancy garage lifts. I do have a Craftsman hydraulic jack but what else might I need to lift the car enough to do the work?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Breaker bar... do you mean like a pry bar, or is that a specialized tool of some sort?
A breaker bar is basically just a handle that slips on to the end of of your ratchet to give you miles and miles of extra torque. Some of the bolts around the wheel area tend to work themselves in really tight over time.

Hmm... one other thing... I don't have one of those fancy garage lifts. I do have a Craftsman hydraulic jack but what else might I need to lift the car enough to do the work?
I've just used the jack that comes with the car. A lift is definitely not necessary, but stability is a plus. You pretty much just need to get the wheel off of the ground.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The jack you have isn't that important. You need to get some jackstands. You should never work on the car when it's on a jack (especially the scissor jack that the car came with). Go out to walmart and spend the money on at least a pair of jackstands (preferable 2 sets, so you can have 4 stands). I've found with brakes it's easiest to get all 4 corners of the car up off the ground so you can work continuously.

You will save money doing the work yourself, but you gotta do it safely,

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A breaker bar is basically just a handle that slips on to the end of of your ratchet to give you miles and miles of extra torque.
Not true, that is referred to as a cheater bar! A breaker bar is an actual tool... I have a 32" Mac Tools breaker bar and would not even compare it to a chunk of pipe on a ratchet... Anyways, sorry for the off topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts