Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am new here. i own a sentra se sr20de. i was wondering if anyone knew how leggal it is to import a 2001 primera from south of the border. the steering wheel is on the left side and it is covered in nissan logos not infiniti. i know of one that is cheap but i would have to pay to have it driven up. anyway the two things i worry about would be side impact standards??? and emissions....(should be same as US g20) any other legalities on importing a car. though it would cost a huge amount to ship from australia, i seen some AWD turbo (emission??) nissans i like from there.

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is the second post I see on this subject on the last days. Why the sudden interest in the primera instead the G20?

I own a Primera, and the G20 is a more "complete" car. More features than the primera (at least the version that comes to my country).:depressed
Anyway, if what you are after is the nissan logos everywhere, you could get them from your local nissan dealer, and then buy the primera ones from someone here.

:confused:

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
RCer said:
This is the second post I see on this subject on the last days. Why the sudden interest in the primera instead the G20?
Becasue Primeras are cool.

The only reason I would ever import a Primera would be to get the 4WD model not available in the US. Otherwise I would and am converting all the cosmetic things the distinguishes it, to a g20.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know what the $ exchange rate is in chilie, but they have new 2002 primera (g20) for the same price as a chilie new sentra gxe (like us 2002 sentra gxe) so i would assume i could get a g20 like car in chilie for 13ish thousand. plus shipping which could be a 1 thousand to 6 thousand $$$......it could be a steal or cost the more than us g20 depending on shipping. check out some chilie nissan web sites. they also have a NEW NEW nissan truck with four doors and a seperate bed, like the new frointeer trucks in U.S. but it has the old first generation pathfinder boxy look. i think it only comes out to like 11 thousand in US dollar and its 4x4. it probaly wont get past the side impact standard thing though cause its old design. anyway maybe i can get a brand new primera into U.S. for 14-16 thousand. what you think???????? cheaper than my sentra sr20de

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sentra.SR20de said:
i was wondering if anyone knew how leggal it is to import a 2001 primera from south of the border
You can't.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sentra.SR20de said:
do you know why? :(
Because it hasn't passed EPA and NHTSA testing.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sentra.SR20de said:
hmmm there's away around this........
Yeah....

It's called money. Lots of it.

There are no simple loopholes unless you are a foreign national bringing the car over for less than one year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how do the guys that get jap spec skylines, and turbo lancer's from europe get their cars regitered in u.s.???. i mean i am talking about am exact copy of a car already in u.s. tell me more about the "nhtsa" "epa " testing. this can be done. nissan would be pssstd .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so a primera wouuld be 13,100 us dollars. if i can apply and recieve a clear title on it, i dont see why i cant just drive it accross the border then register it as a g20 and tell insurance it a g20. it would pass emisions if i lived moved somewhere that did that. maybe i would need a u.s. cat. when i register my vehicles here you dont bring your car, so i dont see who would ever want my serial number vin #, or who would enforce it. still curious how skylines and lancer's do it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
sentra.SR20de said:
so a primera wouuld be 13,100 us dollars. if i can apply and recieve a clear title on it, i dont see why i cant just drive it accross the border then register it as a g20 and tell insurance it a g20. it would pass emisions if i lived moved somewhere that did that. maybe i would need a u.s. cat. when i register my vehicles here you dont bring your car, so i dont see who would ever want my serial number vin #, or who would enforce it. still curious how skylines and lancer's do it.
I'm afraid you're more than a little naive about this.

The feds aren't stupid. The states aren't either. When you go to get a state title they will see that your old title says Primera. They will certainly want to check you VIN.

The folks who do it spend a lot of money doing so. You could spend the money on a Primera, but I don't see why. Get a BMW M3. It probably wouldn't be any more money by the time you're done.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
sentra.SR20de said:
so how do the guys that get jap spec skylines, and turbo lancer's from europe get their cars regitered in u.s.???. i mean i am talking about am exact copy of a car already in u.s. tell me more about the "nhtsa" "epa " testing. this can be done. nissan would be pssstd .
Have you seen the price of these? About 90-95 thousand for a new R34.....these only cost about 60 thousand but you have to do all the emisions and tarifs and a whole bunch of other [email protected]#t. So you can get it legal in the U.S but its going to be a few thousand! (numbers are just rounding not actuall figures(so dont quote me on them! lol)):alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts