Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a 1998 Primera, and dad a few months ago had battery charging, with it being in engine bay and SOMEHOW, he forgot about it, started car and reversed which propably due to charging cables slipping or getting off, blew the main 80A fuse. After that, on so far three tries to replace the fuse (no less ain't easy to find them without going to a junkyard), it blows right on contact, what could be the problem? Charging circuit is something I guess what could be suspect, since part of it is the 80A fuse...so now what?
For context the car also last was driven for under a kilometer over two years ago, and worked perfectly back then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
well did you disconnect the battery terminals if so you might have them crossed double check that the other thing i can think of is the starter is toast where its grounding out, check for wires that were chewed by rodents after two years of sitting rats like the plastic on our cars hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure the cables haven't been crossed. So, I guess then it's time to inspect the starter and alternator themselves, and also their wiring. The car's starter spins healthily and afaik also cranks, I feel a clear shaking due to engine cranking, when attempting to start.
Oh and, the car's actually been standing since around 2013 no less, dunno if that info is worth anything though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: It was a shorting alternator, I guess dad's foolery had fried the stator and/or diodes. Now a new alt is in, and on putting in a new main fuse it no longer immediately fries. And car indeed started now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts