Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving on the highway doing about 65mph. All of a sudden when I gave it a little gas the car didn't accelaerate. When I let off the gas the rpms would drop and the car decelerates but then I gave it gas and nothing. The car seemed to try and keep the current speed it was going. When pressing the gas the engine didn't rev or anything. Just a low "MMMMMM" was heard. It was like the rpms were stuck at 3k. It wouldn't go any higher than that. So I pulled over on the highway and came to a stop. As soon as I stopped the engine stalled. I started it back up immediately and it ran fine. This happened to me the other day too but I was in a parking lot. I only let the car warm up for a minute instead of the 5 or so I usually give it. I thought that was the reason. But this time the car was fully warm and I had already been driving on the highway for 25 minutes. I currently have no SES light on. I use to have a code for the rear O2 sensor. I had that code for 6 months or so and then all of a sudden it went away. Oil looks clean, coolant is good, no smoke or anything. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
my altima died on the highway like that once, while driving 80mph, in the left lane lol
it was the distributor

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the second time I heard that the distributor causes these symptoms. I'd rather it be the MAF. I am going to have to start pricing stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem.

I have had my car for about a year now, and in the last three months when I give my car gas and release my clutch (to get out of first gear) the car will only crawl out of first. I can see my rpms raising, but there is no noticeable improvement in accelleration. Then recently, about a week ago, my rpms were jumping up and down on the freeway as I was going about 60 mph. When I finally had the chance to pull over, my car could barely move out of first (there was smoke coming from the engine). Also at times in the past, the car wouldn't start without giving it some gas. The car is a 1996 Infiniti G20 with about 96,500 miles.

Anybody know what would be wrong? I can shift gears, but I can't accelerate. Also if you're from the San Diego area and know a good mechanic, please contact me.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see my rpms raising, but there is no noticeable improvement in accelleration. Then recently, about a week ago, my rpms were jumping up and down on the freeway as I was going about 60 mph. When I finally had the chance to pull over, my car could barely move out of first (there was smoke coming from the engine). Also at times in the past, the car wouldn't start without giving it some gas
Well my car doesn't smoke, has no problem starting and my rpm's don't climb. I think we have two different problems. Mine seems more electrical, either ECU or MAF. Or possibly alternator or distributor. Due to yours smoking and such It seems you have other things going on.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got the same problem if I dont warm up mi car about for 5 minutes and try to drive it off all hell breaks loose I try to accelarate but my car seems like it controls itself not revving over 3000 and when i let go the gas pedal I feel it down shift ackwardly and when I brake the car stalls and trembles badly. All of that only because
I didnt warm the car. But thats weird cause my friend got a 96 altima with 300000k on it never been warmed up oil changes every 15k and the crappiest gas and his car runs like a champ. Maybe we all need to do that with our g's :naughty:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Perhaps try conducting an alternator test....like what he said a bad alternator...just trying to suggest and shed some light.... TO do an alternator test, simply turn your car on...while at idle, turn on your headlights, defroster, ac, blinkers, radio, rear fogger...etc. While the car is on...., either grab a 10mm wrench or 10mm socket ratchet....loosen up the negative and positive terminals of the battery. After wards disconnect both of the terminals from the battery. Go back in to your car, and step on the gas pedal...so that you're slightly revying the car...slightly pressing and releasing the gas while every electrical thing on your instrument panel is on..... after doing that for a couple of seconds, check if you vehicle stays on while at idle....if it stays on, your alternator is still operating. But if the vehicle shuts off, then it is a bad alternator!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
the easiest way to test the alternator is turn on your car, unplug the negative(-) terminal. The car will die if the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
nautiazn85 said:
I have a similar problem.

I have had my car for about a year now, and in the last three months when I give my car gas and release my clutch (to get out of first gear) the car will only crawl out of first. I can see my rpms raising, but there is no noticeable improvement in accelleration. Then recently, about a week ago, my rpms were jumping up and down on the freeway as I was going about 60 mph. When I finally had the chance to pull over, my car could barely move out of first (there was smoke coming from the engine). Also at times in the past, the car wouldn't start without giving it some gas. The car is a 1996 Infiniti G20 with about 96,500 miles.

Anybody know what would be wrong? I can shift gears, but I can't accelerate. Also if you're from the San Diego area and know a good mechanic, please contact me.
Your clutch is shot. You need to get it replaced ASAP before you damage the flywheel. You have burned the clutch out. That is where the smoke was coming from. 96,000 miles is more than most people get out of a clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts