Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93' G20. My battery died a few times and when i jumped it off it was fine for a day or two. Then it would die again, I gave up and bought a new battery, Fine for a week then my car wouldnt start, Had power but would not do a thing. Then it sat in the driveway for two days, The battery is dead. I had a mechanic check my alternator before it died and it is good. I push started the damn thing if that at all matters before the bateery died.

·
Registered
42 Posts
obviously looks like something with the alternator... some older G20s (P10s) have had nagging problems with a leak in the tubing that goes directly into the radiator. A clamp that joins two pieces of tubing together sits right above the alternator, and if this clamp is loose, radiator fluid will leak out onto the alternator, ultimately making it function incorrectly, or even kill it. This would be my first place to look... If what your mechanic said is true, that the alternator is fine, then I don't know what to tell ya :-\

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
BE CAREFUL JUMPSTARTING YOUR CAR!!!

Make sure the donor car is not running. If the car is running it will overload your ECU and other electrical circuts and do damage. The shop I left my car at boosted it FRIED my Day time running lights system and my security system is now also toast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my alternator rebuilt and still having trouble. The shop now says my starter is bad..Would my starter have anything to do with my battery dieing.?? He first told me that he though it was my security system...Any ideas??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like an alternator. A lot of rebuilt alternators don't last long at all. If you check the voltage at the battery when the car is running, it should be around 13.5-14v. Usually if the car is running and the alternator is going the brake light and another light will flash.

When you get it started and run around for a while and turn it off, can you start it up?

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It starts up, But after a few days it dies. The other day with a fully charged battery it wouldnt turn over.. Which is why the mechanic says starter. Anybody have any problems like this??

·
Registered
222 Posts
starter woes

i have had a similar problem and it be the starter , probably the windings have gone bad or something has corroded or worn out , when it happens the resitance in the circuit goes up , it takes more amperage to send that 12 volts to make the starter work which the battery cannot eak out . when this happens its the beginning of the end eventaly the windings or whatever is causeing the resistnce burns away and makes it a open circuit makeing the starter useless ....sometimes you can get lucky and replace the starter soleniod , this fixes it 3 out of 10 times for me. there is a way of testing everything out but you need a ohm meter,specs for the ohm values and be able to tear down the starter . id just spring for a new starter if i were you .

bascilly , you got a pipe of water that is spining a water wheel , smash the middle of the pipe (resistance) now the water wheel isnt spinning as fast or not at all , you would need to make more water pressure to overcome the smash in the pipe (amperage) to get the wheel spinning again , so you up the pressure but the bend in the pipe is weak and bursts (open circuit)

now the battery dieing im not sure , but a bad sloenid could be supplying power to the starter all the time but not enough to turn it ..maybe but thats a odd failure and a long shot ..hope this helps

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: BE CAREFUL JUMPSTARTING YOUR CAR!!!

GTA_G20 said:
Make sure the donor car is not running. If the car is running it will overload your ECU and other electrical circuts and do damage. The shop I left my car at boosted it FRIED my Day time running lights system and my security system is now also toast.
The shop must have screwed something else up then. If the donor car is not running, you are at risk of draining the battery in it as well. Then you might have two dead cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i dont jump it, i use a charger.. i am getting so tired of this shit with this car. BTW, what does fusible links mean??

·
Registered
222 Posts
junk yards?

see if there are any front wheel drive sr20 powered cars at a junkyard, you may be able to get a starter cheaper there , then that would tell you if it was or not for less than a new one , as i usuly go with factory parts when it comes to starter/alternaotrs , used to work for pepboys , rebuilts from discount parts stores suck major ass ...

on that fuseable link thing im not sure what that dude ment , the car does have a few and im almost sure it has some that protect the ecu from damage if the system is over charged . there might even be one for the starter, but they work just like a fuse and open the circut when they get too much amperage thru them and im not sure where they are on the G20 , 87-90 pulsars had them in the relay box under the hood and B-11 sentras had them in a similar spot too ...

here is a idea if you have the car at home , disconect the battery and pull the big positive wire off the starter , place it in a way that the big wire doesnt touch anything (like wrap a rag around it and duct tape around the rag to keep it from contacting anything) then reconect the battery and see if the battery goes dead again if it doesnt go dead then we know its the starter or the solenoid ...just remeber if that positive lead touches anything your gonna mess up your battery or the car SO MAKE SURE IT TOUCHES NOTHING!!!

now if the battery still goes dead it could be the ignition switch.....

it also might be a idea to see if the car has a starter relay those are cheaper then a starter and would be a idea to look at too .my old sentra and pulsar had them and in boath cars they went bad...

just a couple more ideas , this crap does suck but dont let it get to you , all part of haveing a car i guess

1 - 14 of 14 Posts