1) New coolant temperature sensor
2) New fuel pump
3) Remanufactured Injectors
4) Checked and set timing and idle.
5) New wires, plugs, cap, and rotor.
6) Reset ECU
7) New Fuel Filter
8) New PCV Valve
9) Clean battery terminals and checked battery voltage.
10) Installed inline fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressure (Which all checks out ok).
11) New Oxygen Sensor
12) Blocked EGR
13) Cleaned both IACV
14) Replaced ARV with a new one.
15) Checked compression (around 184 across the board)
16) Prime the fuel pump before starting

I am getting fed up. I took it to the mechanic, and it started fine on a 75 degree day even when the car was cold.

I affirmed the same when I started it cold. 65 degrees or less from a cold start seems to be the point where the car starts hard.

I am not rich enough to keep up at this pace.

I am going to try the following:

1) Check all the cables and grounds etc.
2) Turn key to on position with injectors removed to checked for leaking injectors

(Can't I just smell down the damn plug holed or remove a plug?) Or do I have to pull the damn plenum again?)

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I should put timing back to stock?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So it started ok this time in the cold, but after letting it cool a while I tried to restart it, and it took about 2 full seconds to start. I am going to keep this as the master thread since I have so many. :(

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When is it?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is a few second start normal sometimes? Sometimes now, even when its cold, the car starts right away. Another time it took about 3-5 seconds. I think this crap has caused psychological problems. :(

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gomd3 said:
here's the link http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53809
the place was changed, to 272 hamilton st, new brunswick, nj its on November 25 at 10
Sorry but I won't be around during that time. Headed to FL during that time to go see my son. When is the next MD meet? I can get up there from time to time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, so I timed the startup when it does decide not to start immediately, and it is taking 2 seconds.

That is within the realm of normality now isn't it?

Temperature outside when I tried to start it was about 44 degrees F or 4.4 degrees C.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I dont know man. My start-ups are usually less then 1 second on the first turn every time. It just fires up very fast. Do you think the connections on your starter are loose? Maybe the starter is on the way out.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it is. Starting time seems to be much shorter after replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor and idle is much smoother....but the new coolant sensor is only different by about .5K ohms. (Probably enough to cause some problems, but I am a bit leery of saying its the cure).

I am thinking of accepting this condition (if it is a condition at all.) My car starts instantly at all other times. Not even a 1 second delay.

I have read that timing advance can cause a delay in starting, and I have read that it can help to.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does your starter shriek? My starter makes a loud shriek noise, usually when it is much colder then 65, but when it does it takes much longer to start.

And you cleaned your grounding points, but have you tried Mautai's grounding kit? Or you can make one yourself. It suggests better starts, and it does stabilize the electrical system as a whole. It helped my car a lot, but the shrieking starter is still the biggest problems. Hopefully I will see a benefit when it gets really cold this winter.
________
PORTABLE VAPORIZERS

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nope starter makes no unusual noises. Interestingly you mention colder than 65. That is when the starting gets harder. I didn't get around to cleaning the grounding points yet, (cleaned the battery terminals) but I will. Not sure if my lazy behind wants to go the grounding route at this point, but it sounds good for later on.

Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I notice that the car idles rough for the first few seconds after I start it. Not enough to be annoying or trouble on the road, but must either be:

1) Air in the fuel line

2) Something on those plugs (fuel or God forbid Coolant)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I would reset your timing to stock (15 degrees) using the method in the FSM, and see if that fixes your problem.

And yes, advanced timing will make the car slightly harder to start as the temperature drops.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will give that a shot, thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the mechanic and some others say that a 2 full second start time when cold is fine. Anyone elses car taking 2 full seconds to start when cold? Do I have reason to bitch? I hope not, lol, it's much cheaper. :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have 2 second plus... when you were doing all this I thought you were taking 10-15 seconds. This is perfectly normal, once it's warmed up then the start ups are immediate. Dont worry so much

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Well before the CTS it was 10-15 seconds.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Yeah, my Legacy sometimes even takes 2 seconds when it's warm and the EJ22 is a higher-tech engine than the SR20 (coil pack instead of distributor, etc.), and it only has 66k on it anyway. No worries.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts