Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like 2 days ago all of a sudden when you turn the key it takes longer then usual to start, then last night it wouldnt crank at all, but as soon as i hit the gas it starts right up. anyone know whats up? im not even trying to get stranded in the woods somewhere.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Could you give a little more info about this....how many miles, what kind of maintainence have you done, etc...etc....

might need a new fuel filter for starters....plugs...wires...etc....

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91 w/ 86000 miles, i bought it at 75000, i had the oil changed a little over a month ago (and only driven about 800 miles since then). i but in new bosch platinum spark plugs in april. it seems like it might be the battery but i dont understand why it would suddenly start when i give it some gas. oh yeah earlier today it wouldnt crank at all even when i did step on the gas so i had to roll it down a hill to start it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
battery cable, connectors?

Check you battery terminals for corrosion. they can give that Dead battery / suddenly start syndrome. The ignition switch itself can also do this but I haven't heard of switch problems on the G20. It can be cleared up by turning the switch on /off repeatedly. It would help to disconnect the battery prior to doing this so you don't shot too much unburned fuel into the engine.
Does it CLICK? (Indicates the started solenoid is kicking in). Do you lights shut OFF when you try to start? (Indicates the battery is not providing enough current to start - bad battery or bad connection).

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i checked the voltage on the battery with the engine off but the ignition in the on position and it read 12.43 volts. i saw somewhere that is about 75% charge. im going to wait until it gets dark then see how much the lights dim when i try to crank it. i have a bad feeling its the starter though. looks like ill be parking on hills for a while.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
am i correct in reading that if i hit the starter with something it will temporarily work again (if the starter turns out the be the problem)? where is the starter located at?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts