Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw something on ser.net about spraying carb cleaner into the intake manifold to clean up some stuff that collects in there and messes with hte idle and mileage and stuff. i found some carb cleaner in the garage but my concern is it says not for use in fuel injected engines. is this going to mess something up if i use it?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
not true, I used carb cleaner while cleanin' out my intake manifold

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There is a difference. I cannot remember what it is, but IIRC it's somewhat marginal. I use Berryman's carb cleaner all the time. I swear by the stuff and buy it by the case these days.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I always remember that you're not supposed to spray carb cleaner in the MAF or the throttle body due to coatings (teflon I believe) inside them. However doing so really didn't have a bad effect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
carb cleaner

I just did this the other day, I had a bouncing rough idle, the stuff I bought said real big on the can that it was safe. I followed the directions and cleaned the throttle body and the iac valve, the difference was very noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got Snap Carb Choke & Valve Cleaner. And this puppy is shop size so you know its for real. It says not recommended for fuel injected engines but it sounds like it will be ok.
Just to be sure, I should spray it into where the hose from the airbox goes and wipe off any sludge it loosens up right??? I'm still trying to figure out the names for everything but since i advanced the timing the other day I'm fiendin for more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to think that you cant use that stuff but a tech at the dealership said that they do. They use some Nissan stuff, but I'm sure its the same. He also said that you could even spray brake cleaner in there. Never tried that one. But I use STP throttle body and air intake cleaner. Works for me!:cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use Mopar Carb Cleaner. That stuff is a dream....And yes you can spray right into the throttle body. I have my friend idle the car at 1500 RPM and i spray inside. You see all this black smoke coming out of your exhaust. Then after this is done, I take the spark plugs out....spray down into the each hole. Let it drip for a few hours. Do an oil change, and change the plugs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok i used...

se-r net and here is what i found. one guy said to leave the throttle body on and just spray cleaner into the hole. another said no, to remove it and clean it that way. which is better. how do i remove it so i don't mess anything up. any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yeah that part from se-r about sending stickyass black goop through my engine is whats worrying me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts