Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering where i would be able to get a carbon fiber hood on my p11. Because every where i look they only have them for hondas and celicas. Also wondering how much it might cost

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ive seen them on digitalracer.com for around $650.
I was looking into them earlier too and fiber images used to have one for the P11, but i guess it was kinda shady, because after talking to zerogee about it, I opted against it.

Good luck though,
JP

·
Registered
429 Posts
You mean the black

You mean the "Black" hoods? IMHO I think that should stay a HONDA thing..

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ah, but a true carbon fiber hood is MUCH lighter than the stock hood, and stiffer too. This solves a few problems:

1) it lightens our (relatively) heavy car
2) it helps balance our front heavy (61/39) chassis

Not only that, but if you get one custom made, it's a great chance to put things in like hood scoops, or vents *ewww, I think, but hey, some people have DETs* and carbon fiber in itself is a good looking material. Slightly expensive, but since my stock hood is badly bent and dented anyways, that's probably the first "cosmetic" upgrade I'll get.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I dont know if anyone thought of this but your hood is a major part of the front crumple zone. Your stock hood is made to absorb some of the impact in a front end collision so if you take off a lot of life saving weight whats gonna happen? That carbon fiber hood is gonna snap right in half and the force from impact is going to a lot more damage than under normal conditions. Just my 2 cents. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I really hope the hood isn't there to save me, cause if they hit the bumper, that should be what's absorbing most of the weight (i think?) I thought the hood was supposed to buckle or bend under stress that way it doesn't go straight back into the passenger compartment?

Also, the weight distribution of our cars may even be a little more front biased than 61/39. I'll try and find my corner weighting numbers again if necessary, but i thought it might of been even more off than that, and that's with the jack and spare in teh trunk still.

Oh yeah, I was originally trying to get a CF hood made for the P10, I sent my hood away and everything. It's too bad it didn't work out, I would have liked the weight savings and I probalby would have gotten used to the looks too :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dont think I would like a hood that is a different colour, it would look like you had just got one from a junk yard unless you saw it close up!!.

Also,

although not the most important crumple are, I do agree with the comment about the extra weight, I imagine that it will absorb a more substantial impact than that of a carbon fibre hood, but hey, cars werent made for crashing :p

Kev

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
2002G20Racer said:
I dont know if anyone thought of this but your hood is a major part of the front crumple zone. Your stock hood is made to absorb some of the impact in a front end collision so if you take off a lot of life saving weight whats gonna happen? That carbon fiber hood is gonna snap right in half and the force from impact is going to a lot more damage than under normal conditions. Just my 2 cents. ;)
I thought carbon fiber was actually stiffer and sturdier than metal. Where did I see this... Sport Compact Car's Project Civic had a carbon fiber hood and they said it was able to hold more weight before crushing than a stock hood. And like Justin P10 said, I doubt the hood is a real safety feature. If it was, wouldn't they brace it in such a way that it would would transfer any impact into the chassis *and put cross bracings all along the hood*?

kfairburn said:
I dont think I would like a hood that is a different colour, it would look like you had just got one from a junk yard unless you saw it close up!!.
Yeah, that's my only real gripe about CF hoods. Can't they be painted though? Or be made in different colors? It would never quite match I guess... I'd still get a CF hood though, although my car is gold....

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Ah, but a true carbon fiber hood is MUCH lighter than the stock hood, and stiffer too. This solves a few problems:

1) it lightens our (relatively) heavy car
2) it helps balance our front heavy (61/39) chassis

Not only that, but if you get one custom made, it's a great chance to put things in like hood scoops, or vents *ewww, I think, but hey, some people have DETs* and carbon fiber in itself is a good looking material. Slightly expensive, but since my stock hood is badly bent and dented anyways, that's probably the first "cosmetic" upgrade I'll get.
wow i didnt know our cars were that front heavy! thanks for those #s haha

2002G20Racer said:

the hood isnt meant to absorb any impact, the genius at nissan did however designed our stock hoods to crump in a V shape so when or if it ever snaps back, it wunt crack the windshield.

and i thought CF hoods just shatter??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Treated carbon fibre will shatter under a large impact force in a small area. If you hit a 5'x5' piece of CF with a hammer, it will shatter where you hit it, but not far past the impact zone. However, CF is one of the strongest materials in automotive industry. Think about Formula 1...at 200mph, there's over 800lbs of downforce on the nose wing, and there is no visible warping. In extreme accidents in any open-wheel racing series (as they all use a carbon-fibre tub built around the driver), where all sheetmetal and aerodynamic appendages fly off, the only thing to remain is often the main driver frame, and the carbon fibre tub built on and around it. It's strong stuff.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Oh yeah, and the new Aston Martin V12 Vanquish is practically built on a completely carbon fiber frame. There's some kinda crazy carbon fiber spine that forms the base of the car. But it's still hefty... at least it's got a super 6.0L V12 to blast it along...

Are there any other carbon fiber body parts available for a G20 besides the hood? What else can be lightened or shifted around...? The best balanced G20 I know of is on conecrazy.com: Al Abadilla moved the battery to the back, got lighter racing seats, etc. Without spending too much, I'd like to balance my car out a bit too...

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
One thing you have to consider (after Geo schooled me on this one) Most CF hoods are purely cosmetic. It may be strong and light but offer no real structural value.

All the strucural CF out there on F1 cars and high performance setups are an autoclaved carbon fiber. Which starts off first as an epoxy embedded Cf then shaped and partially cured. Then fully cured in an autoclave at about 250*-350* and 100+ psi. This is what gives the CF the indestructable characteristic, and adds to the high $$$

Ive got some sample 1/4" autoclaved plate for a side project that Im working on and this stuff is TOUGH. It cannot be shattered with a hammer, granted its 1/4" thick. Iim scared to try and cut it with my mill.

And yes, you can paint CF, just like fiberglass

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Yahnozha said:
One thing you have to consider (after Geo schooled me on this one) Most CF hoods are purely cosmetic. It may be strong and light but offer no real structural value.

of course not hehe most of the ppl that want cf hoods just want to save weight and get the looks, in no way will it save u in an accident =b

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well all I'm really lookin' for is a hood *a true carbon fiber hood, not just a fiberglass one with carbon fiber on the outside* that's light, and I guess somewhat durable. I'm not planning on it saving my life, I just want it to save me some weight. I don't need any crazy vents or scoops on it, and actually, if it maintained an almost stock shape, that'd be great. I just like that it's light. Hoods, especially big metal ones:cheeky:, are pretty heavy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Well all I'm really lookin' for is a hood *a true carbon fiber hood, not just a fiberglass one with carbon fiber on the outside* that's light, and I guess somewhat durable. I'm not planning on it saving my life, I just want it to save me some weight. I don't need any crazy vents or scoops on it, and actually, if it maintained an almost stock shape, that'd be great. I just like that it's light. Hoods, especially big metal ones:cheeky:, are pretty heavy.

Ooh, you're just a little bit late. There was a group buy on these a little while a go, but I'm fairly certain it's over now. Here's the link to it.

http://209.120.143.70/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312

The hood is custom made, so I don't know if they'll be able to tack on another order or not. It's worth a try; contact Dshaft96.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
FF Drifter said:

All CF hoods have fiberglass underneeth, even the grade A kind, which is the best ull find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts