Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93.5 G20. I am changing my catalytic converter with a cat from a 95 G20. On the 95, it looks like there is a O2 sensor connected to the cat. My 93.5 does not have the same sensor. Does anyone know if this is a O2 sensor or something else? Can I still use the 95 cat bypassing the sensor and using my O2 sensor? I definitely would appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OBDII

That sensor you see on 95 cat is 2nd O2 sensor for OBDII emission control. OBDII cars have 2 O2 sensors but you don't need that 2nd O2 sensor. You can either take it off and plug the hole, or leave that O2 sensor in and just cut the wire. I hope it helps...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I installed the cat with the O2 sensor left in and facing the tailpipe. After driving for 10-15 minutes and letting the car idle - the rotten egg smell was gone, but when I revved the car up to 2500-3000rpm and released the gas pedal, white smoke would come out of the tailpipe. This didn't seem normal so I re-installed my old cat and did the same thing and no white smoke came out of the tailpipe.

Also, with the 95 cat, the engine seemed to run a little hot, although the temp gauge didn't indicate this.

Is this normal (white smoke) or is the 95 cat clogged/bad?
I tried to look inside, but the screen mesh hindered my view. Although, I was able to see my flashlight through the other end.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Replace the Catalytic sensor. You need it. Yeah anything can be bypassed, but know the results. NTK makes the replacement (part# 24075). I picked mine up from www.racesearch.com for $50.00 most places sell them for $75 to 100 bucks (Terrible customer service).
He does not have a OBD-II car, therefore he does not have to replace the sensor and it can be 'bypassed'. His P10 does not have a connector to conect the sensor to, so when he said bypass, he meant block the opening, or leave the sensor in there to block the opening and cut the wire off of the sensor.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NismoPC - That is exactly what I meant. i left the o2 sensor installed on the cat but not connected to anything.

Thanks for the help. :cheeky:

Well, I decided to break down and buy a new cat. The dealer wanted $665 for a new one :lick: . After I picked myself up from the ground, I quickly hung the phone up.

I decided to go with Random Technology's cat for a much cheaper price.

Does anyone know if people recycle old cat's. Or can I through it away in the trash.

Maybe, I'll start a collection of cat's.:confused:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
where can i buy a cat for 95 OBDII

WHERE CAN I BUY A AFTER MARKET CAT FOR 95' G20 THAT USES O2 SENSOR IN CAT.MOST AFTER MARKET CATS DUN SAY THEY HAVE HOLE FOR O2 SENSOR FOR THIS CAR.HELP!!! MY CATS ALL RUSTED AND ENGINE RUNS HOT, BUT TEMP GAUGE READS NORMAL

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Re: where can i buy a cat for 95 OBDII

calyxboy said:
WHERE CAN I BUY A AFTER MARKET CAT FOR 95' G20 THAT USES O2 SENSOR IN CAT.MOST AFTER MARKET CATS DUN SAY THEY HAVE HOLE FOR O2 SENSOR FOR THIS CAR.HELP!!! MY CATS ALL RUSTED AND ENGINE RUNS HOT, BUT TEMP GAUGE READS NORMAL
Try asking this company, a member referred them before. You can even chat to them via AOL IM.
http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/random_technology.htm

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've always heard that white smoke is moisture/water burning off. It should go away. Blue smoke is oil burning and Black smoke is unburned gasoline. The white smoke could have been normal if the cat had been sitting around a while?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts