Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
And as a ex-professional mechanic of 20 years I can also say that. But as someone with the same logic as you, we both know that means little. Not hearing of issues with damaging the hoses, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just that the damage hasn't surfaced , been associated with the pinching, or not spoken of. Would you admit it? Most wouldn't.
But the real point is there is no reason to pinch them with the other method available.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You're making it sound like one will automatically cause the other. I think the truth lies far, far away from that line of thought. I also would never use a vice-grip to pinch a rubber hose, and if you're trying to pinch a steel braided hose with anything then you should just stop trying to repair automobiles altogether.

As far as admission of mistakes causing damage, I've done it. I think all good mechanics make mistakes and learn from them. I think all great mechanics own up to their mistakes when they make them. I guess that's part of the reason why I only trust four people besides myself to work on my cars.

·
Registered
20,818 Posts
I won't even kink a garden hose because it ruins it. I'd never do it to the hose responsible for stopping the car.

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
You're making it sound like one will automatically cause the other. I think the truth lies far, far away from that line of thought. I also would never use a vice-grip to pinch a rubber hose, and if you're trying to pinch a steel braided hose with anything then you should just stop trying to repair automobiles altogether.

As far as admission of mistakes causing damage, I've done it. I think all good mechanics make mistakes and learn from them. I think all great mechanics own up to their mistakes when they make them. I guess that's part of the reason why I only trust four people besides myself to work on my cars.
That wasn't my intent at all. Just that it's very possible the damage and the possible cause of pinching haven't been found to be related, but still be anyway.

You've evidently found more trust in people than I. :(

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@bender-san, Now that you and DMSentra have cleared up a view misconceptions about brake repair and pinching brake lines, Can I ask what tool you use to do this with (pinching brake hose). Using the proper tools is a great step in applying this method safely with limited mishap. I have a question too, regarding jack stands. Do you guys have a particular place on the under body of your P10 or P11 where you place your jack stands when working on brakes or anything else under your cars? I definitely had not been using jack stands in the past, just my car jack and not realizing the danger I was placing myself in. I was only under the car briefly for oil changes but going forward I won't do so with out a jack stand.:cheeky:

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
we used the tool doing my brembo swap on stock lines and still no problemsa year and half later....i think using the right tool you will have no problems. maybe if you keep doing it in the same spot you will have problems.how many times do you really need to swap out a caliper though?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
we used the tool doing my brembo swap on stock lines and still no problemsa year and half later....i think using the right tool you will have no problems. maybe if you keep doing it in the same spot you will have problems.how many times do you really need to swap out a caliper though?
That's true, you don't change calipers everyday so to speak. What kind of tool is this? (The tool, as you mentioned?) Where can I purchase one? Thanx.:cheeky:

·
Registered
335 Posts
trbobrk said:
I won't even kink a garden hose because it ruins it. I'd never do it to the hose responsible for stopping the car.
I would never put a full kink in a brake hose. This is an extremely bad idea and if it is the way described in the do-it-yourself video, it needs to be known that this WILL cause brake hose damage.

DMSentra said:
You've evidently found more trust in people than I.
Three of them are people I work with/for at my shop (some of the best minds that I know in the business). The fourth is a local fellow who happens to be the foremost Miata expert in the Portland metro area, which is why he's allowed to touch the NB.

paradyme said:
Can I ask what tool you use to do this with (pinching brake hose). Using the proper tools is a great step in applying this method safely with limited mishap. I have a question too, regarding jack stands. Do you guys have a particular place on the under body of your P10 or P11 where you place your jack stands when working on brakes or anything else under your cars?
Here is a link to the exact tool I purchased:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=14251&group_ID=1506&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

They are a rounded jaw, non-ratcheting clamp and they work well with any form of soft hose. I actually have 2 of the size linked and one of the next size larger.

As for the use of jack stands, I try to stay towards the corners of the pinch-welds. On G20's, as with most Nissan uni-body vehicles, there are reverence notches in the pinch-welds where the jack/lift stands should be set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All bs above.
Before you start push the pedal down to where you feel good pressure and block it there with a stick/board/extension/whatever, that blocks off the ports in the master cylinder and won't allow any fluid from leaving the reservoir. Change out the offending caliper completely, take the pedal block off, top off the reservoir, open that bleeder and watch for the solid stream of fluid to happen. Make sure you don't let the reservoir run empty and refill to the proper level. Put the master cylinder cover back on, pump the pedal up to seat the caliper piston and recheck the fill level. End.
Tried this today. Totally worked. Can confirm. I didn't want to pinch the line, I was prepared to lose all my brake fluid over it and try to bleed through with a vacuum pump bleeder kit. Did the pedal thing. Undid the caliper hose. Like 4 drops came out and that's it.

I'll still have to bleed I'm sure since it's a new caliper but not much. I lost next to nothing with this approach. Have not finished by trying the gravity bleed yet.

Thank you so much for this advice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts