Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to change the display lights on a p11?

I wanna change the speedometer and what not to hyper white.....

And what bulb number is the light bulbs to use?

2002 G20 Sport
35% tint all around
Cleared Blinkers and Side Repeaters
Chrome Lisence Plate Holder
Blacked Front Side Marker
HID Headlights
Hyper White: Map Lights, Fog Lights, Clearance Lights, Backup Lights, Licenseplate Light, Trunk Light, Dome Light, Blinkers, Side Repeater
WW Front Lip

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Yes it can be done. I cant remember the bulb size that it was.

Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i looked into this a while back, at my local dealers. one thing they mentioned was that the bulbs are rated at 3watts and 5 watts, and it could be for a reason like as not to melt the plastic its supposed to light up. i never got round to doing anything about it, but just be carefull of what wattage bulbs you put in.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
P11GT said:
i looked into this a while back, at my local dealers. one thing they mentioned was that the bulbs are rated at 3watts and 5 watts, and it could be for a reason like as not to melt the plastic its supposed to light up. i never got round to doing anything about it, but just be carefull of what wattage bulbs you put in.
Chekmi21.....where did you get your hyperwhite dome lights? I already changed the map lights by buying some apc 168 number lights (i think), so I need to change my dome light so it doesnt look so yellow. Also what about the Backup Lights, Licenseplate Light, Trunk Light....what bulb number, company that makes them, price and where can I get them.

Also does anyone know where I could get those small lights that illuminate the mirror so you can look at your self? i want like a bluish or whitish color, not the current yellow. thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ummm all those bulb numbers can be found on

www.nextcollection.com

Don't buy it from there though. You can probably get it so much cheaper at your local aftermarket store. I use all polargs for my little bulbs

I wanted to change my vanity mirror lights too but I can't seem to find out which bulb that is...hehehe that would be phat.

As far as display light changing goes...it was just a thought....oh well. hehehehhe

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
b-b00gie said:
Someone else will chime in I'm sure.
[Important FAQ material!!!]

Changing the gauge lighting on a P10:

The gauges are backlit using five #196 or #168 bulbs. Fortunately this bulb is so commonly used, colored replacements are readily available.

The difference between #196 and #168 is wattage. One is suppose to be 3 watts and the other 5 watts. Now the numbers are being used interchangeably so one should check the wattage listed on the bulb to make sure what they are getting.

A new development is the use of LEDs. You can buy #196/#168 LEDs. They will last longer and be more efficient than bulbs, but are more expensive.

Those with 91-93 models have mechanical gauges. Be extra careful when removing the gauges, as the speedometer cable is very hard to reconnect.

Changing the gauge lighting on a P11:

The gauges are backlit with #74 bulbs. Although they are probably commonly used like the #196/#168 bulb, they don't come in different colors.

But if colored gauge lighting is what your after, it is possible. You have two options.

One is to find plastic filters to cover the bulbs. They have been described as a "condom" for the light bulb as it just wraps up the bulb. These can be found at a place that sell gauges.

The other option is to tint the bulb by painting it with transparent paint. Transparent paint can be bought at a local hobby store and is used to paint taillights and turn signals of model cars.

[/Important FAQ material!!!]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the likeliness that the bulbs will burn out quicker if you put a "condom" or transparent paint over it?

I don't wanna be replacing display bulbs like every week or anything like that.

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
Don't know about longevity of these bulbs. Just the regular bulbs themselves burn out quickly. Infiniti has recognized the problem and their solution is just to have the bulbs available at all the dealers as a little set of the bulbs that burn out most commonly.

Does adding paint effect the longevity of the bulbs? I think that it would but I don't know by how much. I painted my bulbs 7 months ago and they still work. When they do go out I would like to replace them with a LED because they would last a lot longer and come in different colors that wouldn't be painted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts