1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20,962 Posts
b-b00gie said:
Someone else will chime in I'm sure.
[Important FAQ material!!!]

Changing the gauge lighting on a P10:

The gauges are backlit using five #196 or #168 bulbs. Fortunately this bulb is so commonly used, colored replacements are readily available.

The difference between #196 and #168 is wattage. One is suppose to be 3 watts and the other 5 watts. Now the numbers are being used interchangeably so one should check the wattage listed on the bulb to make sure what they are getting.

A new development is the use of LEDs. You can buy #196/#168 LEDs. They will last longer and be more efficient than bulbs, but are more expensive.

Those with 91-93 models have mechanical gauges. Be extra careful when removing the gauges, as the speedometer cable is very hard to reconnect.

Changing the gauge lighting on a P11:

The gauges are backlit with #74 bulbs. Although they are probably commonly used like the #196/#168 bulb, they don't come in different colors.

But if colored gauge lighting is what your after, it is possible. You have two options.

One is to find plastic filters to cover the bulbs. They have been described as a "condom" for the light bulb as it just wraps up the bulb. These can be found at a place that sell gauges.

The other option is to tint the bulb by painting it with transparent paint. Transparent paint can be bought at a local hobby store and is used to paint taillights and turn signals of model cars.

[/Important FAQ material!!!]

·
Registered
20,962 Posts
Don't know about longevity of these bulbs. Just the regular bulbs themselves burn out quickly. Infiniti has recognized the problem and their solution is just to have the bulbs available at all the dealers as a little set of the bulbs that burn out most commonly.

Does adding paint effect the longevity of the bulbs? I think that it would but I don't know by how much. I painted my bulbs 7 months ago and they still work. When they do go out I would like to replace them with a LED because they would last a lot longer and come in different colors that wouldn't be painted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts