Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

changing rear speakers

18K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  burubuduy 
#1 ·
How the heck do you gain access to the rear speakers in a 1991 G

#2 ·
From what I heard from other people, it's a real pain to replace the rear speakers. Here's what I have heard but i could be wrong. In a p10 like you have you have to dis-assemble the whole back seat to get at the speakers. I have no directions on how to do this, sorry. Good luck though.

#3 ·
You will need to take out the back seats and the back dashboard.

1) Pull out bottom portion of seats by pulling the two rings and lifting the seat up and out, pull the seatbelts through it.

2) Unscrew two screws in the lower corners of the upper portion, then pull down the armrest and pull off the backing portion (its velcroed in so just pull it off) and then undo the two screws there. You will then pull the back of the seat UP as far as it can go, then out forward. This is becuase the seat is hooked on by three hooks behind it, which when you replace it back, you will need to push it flush and down with these hooks.

3) Take out the three fuzzy screws on top of the rear dashboard. Then pop out the four plastic rivets (black) that are on the front (brownish) portion of the back dash.

4) Remove the brake light by pulling it towards you, then unplug the wire harness.

5) reach up underneath the back dash and push up pretty hard. You will feel rivets poping out. This is ok, there is five of them along the back of the board by the window. These will just snap back into place when you put it back.

6) Pull the dash cover up and down. You cannot take it out of the car becuase the seatbelts go through it so you just have to hang it there (unless you wanna unbolt the belts.

7) You got access to the speakers. Unscrew them and fuck with them at your liesure. You will also have to unplug the wire harness from the trunk side.

NOTE: The stock rear speakers are an OVERSIZED 6.5" or sometimes referred to as 6.5 plus size or 6.75...standard 6.5 requires a little playing around with so be careful what you buy.

8) Reverse the process when installing the shit back.

#5 ·
I will try it also as soon as I receive my $35.00 Cerwin Vega from the mail :) I never use any instructions when I disassembled my 4-runner back panel just to replace the rear speakers. It was a freakin' work! Almost half of the truck panels I had to removed. Anyway, I'll take the advice here so that I don't have to feel or use my instinct to remove them.

#6 ·
problem!!

The instructions seemed perfect... but you mentioned two 'rings' for the bottom part of the backseat and I can't find them! Where and what rings are you talking about? How can I remove the bottom part so I can take out the top one? I can see where the screws are... but help me with a bit more details!! Thanx!:-\

#8 ·
Could it be that what the instructions specified that the rings must be the thing that you pull so that the back sit could go down forward, so you'll be able to get an access on the speakers and the fabric cover over the back dash????? I never get a chance to remove it but I think you just have to follow your instinct because it doesn't look that hard. If you are not confident at all with yourself..., just wait then. Maybe this week my speakers comes and I'll be able to help you.

http://hometown.aol.com/ronnieg357/myhomepage/personal.html

#9 ·

It's good to know that you at least know what rings he's talkin' about! I still don't know their locations!! Are they beneath it? On the sides? What do they look like? I can't find them and I have a P10!! Do you reach the rings from the trunk? Or the interior of the car!! What do they look like? Made out of metal or plastic??I just wanna know about the rings so I can pull the lower part of the back seat out, cuz ' I see where the screws for the upper part's are!!:surprised

#10 · (Edited)
you know what? I don't really know what the rings he's talking about. I just made a guessed and I think from reading the instructions again..., he must be talking a different rings. I just took some pic's of my car awhile ago and I forgot to take a look at the rings he's trying to say. I'm willing to help you, but right now I'm busy studying for my mid-term for tomorrow. I should be able to figure it out on Wednesday if time allows. I'm good at dismantelling things w/out diagrams :-\ :nervous: I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can ;) I will also take pictures for you and the rest to see. I was just in the mood to take pic's today and possibly tonight, I will post the pic's that I took. (not including the rings yet:(

http://hometown.aol.com/ronnieg357/myhomepage/personal.html

#11 ·
Hey...these little "ring pull-tabs" are basically screwed on to the floor of the seats. If you were sitting in the backseat. It would be between your legs. One on the left side, one on the right. They are right between where the seat meets the carpet. Pull them forward as you push the seat up.

#13 ·
oooohhh!!

So that's where these lil' suckers were hiding!! All this time I was wondering!! Well, I guess I'm just hours away from adding my beautiful rear speakers!! Hey G20t94, I definitely wanna see these pics! And you are right... this site is freakin' addictive!! :confused: That's all I think about! Constantly searching and reading! When I'm at work or at home!! This forum is so rich with information!! I've never been part of a forum before ... but I'm extemely satisfied with tgis one. Ya'll is doin' a damn good job! Keep it up!! ;)

#14 ·
by the way

Thanx a whole bunch A380Driver! You just made my birthday even better! I really needed to know the location of these rings! Now let's how far I'll make it! This will be my fourth attempt for these rear speakers and this time... I'm ready to go all out!! (i think):bandit: he he he :monkey:

#16 ·
go ahead

:-\ Go ahead guys... slap me across the head... :sleep: I found the famous 'rings', right where you told me... However... How the heck do you pull their @$$e$ out!! I tried many ways and directions and applied different pressures... :dead: To no avail! :crosseyed I can't pull them like you say... I even tried with a screw driver... Is there a special 'technic' or 'tool' you used... I swear man... these lil' rings are a nightmare to me!! :angry: ... I'm desperate.... this was my freakin' fifth attempt already and I'm getting tired!! I want my new speakers in there already!! :-\ I'm not giving up... give me some more hints pleaaassee!! :crosseyed

#18 ·
Come on Fry..., how old are you now? (just playing with you) I thought i was going to hear from you..., Hurray!!! Guess what Fry? I received my Vega today and done it today!!! I told you I'm a freakin' genius :rolleyes: I was also able to take pic's of the rings that 380 were talking about. Yeah! you just pull it a little then lift the seat up. Pop those retainers, but..., be very careful with those little devils. I almost got hit on my eyes man! Those shitski flew on my head. Luckily I was fast enough to evade it. The stock speakers were truly an oversized or a plus 6 1/2's. My Cerwin vega was 6 1/2's so I removed the stock speakers spacers, made a whole for the Vega, install the spacers first then my Vega on top of it. Voila! It sounds as sweet as honey ;) it matched my Boston Acoustics pretty well. Both are sensitive on highs. Deng..., all I need is that freakin' EQ wirings :mad: tehn I'm done for awhile.

#19 ·
man...

I feel so freakin' left out... These suckers were pretty hard to pull on... but I'll try AGAIN later. I'm happy to hear you made it G20t94, :p ! Show pics when you can..! i'd love to see the install! Don't worry boys, the next post from me in here will definitely be a 'Hurray!!" ;) ... Wish me luck! :lol:

#20 ·
Fray..., take it easy and relax ;) You'll get the hang of it! I wish I'm there to help you, really. Maybe it's the way they did it in your G20 year? I mean mine is a 94' and that sucker you were talking about were a sinch. I'm not trying to brag also:rolleyes:
Yesterday one thing lead to another. I removed the factory amps, took nice pictures as I go, and I was able to put it back all together with no problem at all. After I'm done with my G, modified the pictures and one thing you know it was very late and I was falling asleep and didn't have time to post the pic's.
Come on Fray! Believe in yourself! When you try doing it again..., you have to be relax and not to get aggreviated when problem arise. Just take a deep breath and try other ways in solving your problems. I'm sure it will come to your senses that it needs patience to do everything. Wish you good luck and I better here good news the next time you post your reply ;)

#21 ·
Hey Brian! Thank you very much for your tip! I guessed I would have freakin' removed those bolts if I didn't find out those rings under the seat. Sometimes I find it the hard way doing things because I never really follow directions when something looks easy, but sometimes the one that looks easy, if you don't know what to do with it..., it ends up being the suckers and frustrations. ;) =)

#22 ·
WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!!!

HURRRAAAYYY!!! MY SPEAKERS ARE INSTALLED!!! I FINALLY INSTALLED MY REAR SPEAKERS!!!! :lol: TWO POINTS FOR ME!!!! :lol: WHOA! MY PIONEERS SOUNDS CRISP AND CLEAN!! NOW I JUST NEED TO REPLACE THE FACTORY AMP WITH A GOOD AFTERMARKET ONE!! SHOULD I GO WITH A PPI OR DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS!!? :p

#23 ·
Hey! Where have you been? Congrat's!!! You've made it! About the amps, go to Barnes & Nobles or any book store and get yourself or just check out the new issue of car & audio magazine UK . There are couple of amps reviewed from low to high-end. I'm going there soon to hang out ;) read my books..., but really ending up reading magazines and other interesting stuff.

Good Luck ;)

#24 ·
no doubt!

Car & audio UK? I'll check that out... I've been on the forum g20t94, mostly in the Engine and Cosmetics... I've been running into a few issues!! :confused: My baby's engine started making this weird noise and it keeps shutting off... I found out that the noise was probably one of my cams that didn't receive proper lubrication...STAY ON TOP OF YOUR OIL CHANGE CHILDREN :eek:!!!! I'M SERIOUS!!! probably will have to swap in a new motor... but oh well... I'm happy with my sound for now... It'll keep the worries off my mind!! :lol:

later!!

#25 ·
Good for you man! About the oil..., if you don't have a proper amount or even lower, it causes some trouble. It could make your engine shake and hard to start. I found that out from my 4-Runner. My problem now is noise from my exhaust. I'm busy on the exhaust forum now and thinking of getting the Greddy??? If only I could afford it :crosseyed

#26 ·
what kind?...

Noise from your exhaust?... what kind? What exhaust do you have right now? Are you taking about the performance sound or a problem noise...?? :-\ You should check your piping, look for leaks, look around the 'neck' area, where pipe meets muffler... I had that problem with my original and I added a nice Ractive exhaust with this interior piece that makes it sounds sweet, and it whistles a bit :) ... Let me know if i could help... !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.