Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Cheap modification for 91 g20

911 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NismoPC 
#1 ·
I just bought a 91 g20 and I want to make it faster. What modification has the best hp gain for it's price? I'm thinking I'm more than likely gonna replace the headers first. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
The most HP gain you'll get for the dollar is nitrous. Pound for pound, cent for cent, N20 gives you the greatest gain. Just keep in mind, it's the most likely to ruin your car too, especially with that many miles goin'. Two words for you: engine swap.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of an engine swap, but that's alot of money, so I'm gonna save some money, and wait till I do get an engine swap, and the engine I want is a SR20DET str8 from jgycustoms, but that's a long way ahead, at least 6 months.. :) BTW, I was thinking about a Hotshot header, think that would be a bad idea?

#5 ·
95_g20_P10 said:
also 187k miles i dont think its worth moding the engine.
Bwahaha! Shows how much you know about SR20s. There have been reports of 200k+ mile engines that still show cylinder cross-hatching, which is a testament to Nissan's ability to make a durable engine when they want to.

There's no reason to doubt that a high-miler can't benefit from standard bolt ons as much as a lower-mile engine. A Hot Shot header and CAI are both excellent additions to your car. If you don't have a CAI (~$200) or a POP (~$120), you need to get either one or both of those first, as the intake tract is about the biggest bottleneck to the engine's potential. Next would be the header (~$420), but skip the cat-back for now. Grab some underdrive pulleys (~$240-400) and do a "traditional tune up" (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ~$100?), and you'll be in great shape. Actually, do the tune-up first. ;)

If you're serious about going turbo, grab some JWT S3 cams (~$600) and procure an ECU for reprogramming. According to the Courtesy web site, they have pre-programmed P10/OBD-I ECUs (~$600) on-hand. I'd call to verify that, though. ;) The ECU will be critical, the S3 cams are just a very nice addition to either engine. Might want to pop for some adjustable cam sprockets, too ($70@, $140/pr). As a matter of fact, the POP and underdrive pulleys also make much more sense to buy before going turbo, too, as they're both excellent upgrades after the DET is in.

#6 ·
I checked the plugs and they seemed to be pretty clean, and good, I am however replacing the wires, cause it seems one of them is practically bare. I believe the previous owner of this car had it sitting for a while because there were mouse droppings on top of the engine, and I think the mice were chewing on the plug wires. I was also wondering if you could suggest a good brand of plug wires, I want them to at least match my paint. (red).

I also needed help with a few of the acronyms you used, a POP, I'm assuming is the JWT pop charger air filter?

I believe after a CAI, and the POP, and maybe headers, I'm gonna start working on suspension a little.

Also where is a good place to buy these parts online or mailorder?

Thanks

#7 ·
k0walski said:
I was also wondering if you could suggest a good brand of plug wires, I want them to at least match my paint. (red).
Get OEM wires. They are proven to be the best especially with minor to no mods on the car.

I also needed help with a few of the acronyms you used, a POP, I'm assuming is the JWT pop charger air filter?
Do a search on the forum. Lot's of info on this. And go to www.se-r.net. Excellent start.

Also where is a good place to buy these parts online or mailorder?
Thanks
Again do a search. There are quite a few online places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.