Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of a mechanic I can trust in Chicago? I do all my maintenance and some part replacement stuff, but I am not quite as confident when it comes to more expensive maintenance like struts, shocks, and internal engine parts... Plus, I don't have a garage and my florida-boy hands are cold!

Also, I have a bumped in grill. Anyone know a good place for cosmetics? Someone said there was a good pace at Ada and Lake...

Also, I want to get my fuel injectors cleaned... what should that cost, roughly?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

-Jonathan

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
YES YES!

Steve here can be a reference (for his G20) --- dragoneye

How about a guy who's worked on G20s every day since they came out in 1990? (an Infiniti Master Tech who does side work out of his own garage)

..my boyfriend (yes, I'm a girl) ..... he knows g20s like the back of his hand...

he is very fair and reasonable... and knows his stuff when it comes to g20s!!!

PM me and i can give you more info!

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
oh.. and the best body shop I trust is Lehigh Auto Body (Ironicly they fixed up my former P10 grill and hood).. but my family has been going there for 27 years now...

Ask for Carol Himmel and say that Chris (female chris who used to have the white infiniti).. she knows me..

They are a mom' n pop body shop (german) and probably one of the last honest reasonably priced places around that takes pride in their work and does a great job!

I'll find the phone number in a moment and post back.. (they are in Niles btw)

EDIT for info:

Erich's Lehigh Auto Body
(847) 647-9522 Write a Review 6637 W Touhy Ave
Niles, IL Map

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
Chris said:
YES YES!

Steve here can be a reference (for his G20) --- dragoneye

How about a guy who's worked on G20s every day since they came out in 1990? (an Infiniti Master Tech who does side work out of his own garage)

..my boyfriend (yes, I'm a girl) ..... he knows g20s like the back of his hand...

he is very fair and reasonable... and knows his stuff when it comes to g20s!!!

PM me and i can give you more info!

I can DEFINATELY vouch for him. he does amazing work and knows what he is doing. I've seen lots of his work and he doesn't do anything 1/2 assed. its all 100%.

·
Safe Sex
3,228 Posts
i can vouche for erichs they were great with my past few cars... i just wish chris would mentioned her man could help me out back when i had a p10.. doh...
rush

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
good information indeed. I will have to keep this in mind if i ever need some help with car trouble.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Madmike1029 said:
good information indeed. I will have to keep this in mind if i ever need some help with car trouble.

he wasn't set up until recently to be able to do side work like this.. ...this only happened since about july 2006 so that's why I never said anything before...

anyway... going to give a call...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Chris said:
he wasn't set up until recently to be able to do side work like this.. ...this only happened since about july 2006 so that's why I never said anything before...

anyway... going to give a call...
it all good, haven't needed any major help with the car yet. (probably jinxing myself now :zoinks: )

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
hey everyone..

I'm so sorry but he just found out that he can be fired on the spot for doing side work on any infiniti or nissan product (even out of his own home) so NO side work unless it's a honda or toyota or NON infiniti/nissan product..

so sorry :(

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Chris said:
hey everyone..

I'm so sorry but he just found out that he can be fired on the spot for doing side work on any infiniti or nissan product (even out of his own home) so NO side work unless it's a honda or toyota or NON infiniti/nissan product..

so sorry :(
well that is lame, it is hard enough to find a trust worthy mechanic let alone one that knows anything about the G20. Hmm maybe that is the reason for this... :whistle: oh well, still good info to know regardless.

now here is a brain teaser, what if the Nissan/Infiniti is his? Does he have to "bring it in" to work on it, or can he do that himself? lol

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
haha.. obviously working on his own personal car is the exception.. BUT a guy got fired for buying to fix up and resell too many cars a few years back I heard.. things are tough!

..now at least they know he filters through cars about once or twice a year and most of them aren't nissan or infiniti..

BTW: Did you know his daily driver is a Toyota YARIS? ..the 'project sentra' is just that.. a project toy to work on and play with...

I used to have a g20 and he had to ask special permission to be allowed to work on 'the girlfriend's car' which at the time was granted (different management) but even that was technially not allowed according to the contract with the union :(

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
wow, talk about PIA. I always said that even though unions seem like a "good thing" half the time they just cause more problems than the fix. Does have it's benefits don't get me wrong but ya...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Car companies are a B-tch about this stuff. My buddy got fired from Nissan, he was the Head of the Mechanical department at a local dealership, for working on car on the side.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Melster00 said:
Car companies are a B-tch about this stuff. My buddy got fired from Nissan, he was the Head of the Mechanical department at a local dealership, for working on car on the side.

there you go.. so now you know it isn't a unique situation... obviously not worth loosing his job over so no side work it is.. sorry everyone...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Chris said:
there you go.. so now you know it isn't a unique situation... obviously not worth loosing his job over so no side work it is.. sorry everyone...
oh yeah i figured it wasn't any "special case" type of thing. I just can't get over the fact on how much it costs for something at a dealer to do anything. maybe the "behind the scene" jobs wouldn't be sought after so much if the dealers didn't rip you off so much.

I remember, the speed sensor for the automatic on my g/f car was out (that is what the code was telling me) and we were near the dealer since it was bought a few months b4. I asked the guy about it and asked what it would be for him to diagnose the car and the amount he said "just to check" was like 3 times the amount the part would of cost from my parts supplier. I couldn't believe that, I even told him, I KNOW the problem, I simply wanna know if it is the part or the connection. In the end koojo had the part i needed (used) and fixed up the problem likity split.

wow I went off on a tangent.... :lol:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
yes, unfortunately that's the way it is.. what's even sadder is the dealerships try to get the most they can out of the mechanics... Did you know that the mechanics tend to make 1/4th or less compared to every doller the dealership makes per labor hour? Back when he started he said it was more like 3/4s mechanic 1/4 to dealership which quickly went to 50/50 which seems fair enough (using their facility, insurance, etc.) but over the years the dealership got more greedy and started paying less to mechanics (cutting down book hours on jobs, etc.) while raising rates for the customer.. so the customer pays more, the dealership makes more and the mechanic makes less (yet another reason so many GOOD mechanics end up opening their own shops)

...the problem with opening your own shop is still the people who insist you caused a failure on their car and sue you (it happens more than you probably think).. it's like Dr.s almost.. you can get killed or injured in a car.. a car is in an accident and suddenly the mechanic is blamed for not correcting something and that mechanic is broke now OR has insurance premiums so high that he barely gets by to survive.. not pretty..

..meanwhile dealerships have deep pockets and lawyers on staff to handle all the lawsuits...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts