Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this isn't a real big issue that my car has but I've been trying to wonder why my car just simply cannot chirp into 2nd gear. My friend's p10 w/exhaust can chirp into 2nd. I've chirped my sister's Civic EX (1.6 SOHC) hundreds of times. I've let a few people take the car for a spin and no success at the chirp. I'm guessing my car is....

either too heavy to chirp gears and needs a few more HP

clutch is not catching and may be slipping a tiny bit so I need an upgraded clutch

maybe my tires aren't made for chirping into gears

What are some performance mods that P11 owners have done to be able to chirp their cars. I don't want alot of mods but will a CAI and exhaust do the trick? or maybe a better clutch like JWT or ACT?

Sorry if this has been asked already but I'm just curious as to what I'll need to keep up with all these cars who can chirp and I can't :depressed :lick: :(

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Could just be your car. What's so special about chirping the gears? Do your tires spin at all going into second and just don't make noise, or do they not spin at all? My guess if the later is true is a tired clutch. Couple of mods probalby couldn't hurt, but shouldn't be necessary. Tires do play a big factor in this too. Get the crappiest tires you can find and they'll suck big time for everyday driving, but you'll be able to chirp them all you want (unless your clutch is really messed up).

Also, why do you say i can't keep up w/ cars that can chirp gears? I can show you a SERIOUSLY fast car that won't chirp the gears (because it's able to put the power to the ground), or i could show you a car that's slower than crud, but can chirp gears. Which one would you rather have....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Which one would you rather have....
Uh...huh...huh! Uh..I want the Yugo! Hehehe! He said, 'Chirp!'! Hehehe! Uh!

:confused:

Sorry. Early morning, no coffee. Got to get coffee! :tired:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Chirping your tires does not a fast car make. :)

When you are chirping your tires on a shift it usually means your slamming the shit out of your car. This is not good for performance driving as it will upset the car. The fastest drivers are smoooooooth as a babies bottom!

Now that being said... ;) Since I tightened up my header I can chirp 2nd sometimes when I really hammer it into gear, but my clutch is getting tired and it's not good for the mounts. :(

·
Registered
411 Posts
when i first got my car i could spin in first and that was it. then i got a new clutch and now i can do it in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking its both my tires and clutch. I know chirping does NOT a fast car make, Yoda! jk Jason...but everyone thats driven my car says "oh its slow as shit it can't even chirp into 2nd" nobody around here thinks that the G20 has any potential and I want to prove em' all wrong. I love my car, don't get me wrong! I plan to pay it off by the end of next summer and then letting the fun begin with the modding. Then again my car just hit 60k miles and a new set of wheels, upgraded clutch, and maybe spark plugs could help it feel new and young again before the heavy mods start. Then next time when all the cool cars are parked at the local mini mall, I can show off with a crazy burnout and chirp into 2nd! (or get pulled over by those dam pigs) :eek: :paranoid: :surprised

Hey Justin, thats a good analogy btw... next time when everyone is talking about how their bubbleback civics can chirp into 3rd, I'll remember to bring up that good point.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a stock G20 and can chirp slightly into second if I shift fast enough....but when I had my mods it was no problem...

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
my litl g20 said:
when i first got my car i could spin in first and that was it. then i got a new clutch and now i can do it in 1st and 2nd gear.

TY423 said:
I have a stock G20 and can chirp slightly into second if I shift fast enough....but when I had my mods it was no problem...

With my mods (see sig) and clutch (ACT Street disk) I can chirp em going into 3rd at the track, and that's with a lightened flywheel. It might be the track though, as I can get any of the sets of tires i've run (potenzas, nitto 555zr's, and the Azenis) to chirp/spin going into 2nd and 3rd gear. don't ever have the need to even try to chirp 2nd or 3rd gear on the street. I'd rather be smooth shifting and not have to worry about breaking stuff. Breaking stuff sucks.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G20Turbo said:
Jason...but everyone thats driven my car says "oh its slow as shit it can't even chirp into 2nd" nobody around here thinks that the G20 has any potential and I want to prove em' all wrong.
Well start with the basic bolt-ons and some S3 cams. That will give the car some pretty decent balls. Also stick with the stock 15" wheels or some lighter 15s if you are really only concerned with speed.

I did a little 0-100kmph (62mi) today on the way home from my friends place. I used my Apex-i rev/speed meter 0-100 furnction to time it. I got a 7.7s time. This was kind of a half-assed slightly uphill attempt too. I'm assuming I can get a low to mid 7s 0-62 if I really tried and was on a more level surface.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-Forces said:

I did a little 0-100kmph (62mi) today on the way home from my friends place. I used my Apex-i rev/speed meter 0-100 furnction to time it. I got a 7.7s time. This was kind of a half-assed slightly uphill attempt too. I'm assuming I can get a low to mid 7s 0-62 if I really tried and was on a more level surface.

Yeah, here in Tucson my 0-60 times on my G-tech are close to that as well. Depending on my tires it's either low or high 7.XX's. I just wish I would have brought it over to California with me when i went. It was nearly 3000ft lower in elevation and about 40 degrees cooler in the afternoons. Talk about gaining back some lost horsepower! :surprised

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I f you really want to chirp gears just stay on the gas through the shift and shift and cluch as fast as possible. It's horrible for the car but it should do it.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Ericdd said:
I f you really want to chirp gears just stay on the gas through the shift and shift and cluch as fast as possible. It's horrible for the car but it should do it.
LOL! Yeah, that should work. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
sometimes I can chirp my car and then sometimes I cant -the other day I did it with 3 people in my car

When you think about it, the heavier your car is, the easier it is to chirp the tires. Heavier cars have more mass (obviously). Because of this increase in inertia, more force is required to accelerate at the same as a lighter car. If this force is greater than what your tires can handle then they'll squeal. That's why chriping gears isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
shoot

i get mad if they even so much as chirp , some people have said that to me about being unable to chirp , then i tell them to tighten there seatbelt and tell them a little story about grip , many have walked away almost peeing themselves .....you can have all the power you want , but in my book it doesnt matter if it wont stop and turn , sure you got the strights on power but ill be in your backseat when it comes to that next turn ... some of the fastest cars ive driven have felt very slow , like the other dude said , to go fast you must be smooth .

now go overinflate your tires and chirp away dude

chirping and burnout constests are for 2wd pick-up trucks....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts