Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat's up crew.... i'm lovin' the site

i just got a 99' g20T like a month ago and its great

first thing i did was clear out the back corners... looks hot but i didn't know it was ILLEGAL

luckily i knew the cop and he let me go w/o a ticket

all i wanna know is how do u guys get away with it?

did any of u's change the bulb so that it looks clear but still emits the amber glow?

also where can i buy a bulb like that?

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Do a search on the net for "silver vision bulbs" or "silvervision bulbs"

These are amber lights with a silver coating on them.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I remember atomic-g got these and they didn't fit the rear lights. :( You can still get some that work, for the side markers IIRC.

I'm sure atomic-g can explain better. :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Philips Silvervision bulbs are only available for the front corner lights and work great. For the rears, you can either pick up some amber bulbs, but if you do that, then clearing out the tailights was pointless. I have been searching and searching for TRANSPARENT Paint for the Polarg Amber bulbs I have, so that the bulb has a silver coating, but illuminates amber - but after looking virtually everywhere, I have had no luck at all. Stores simply don't sell this transparent paint, since it is illegal. Someone had mentioned the BMW guys got some Testors transparent paint and used that, but I haven't found anything like that either. So what I did was just stick in some hyperwhites in the back and I keep the brand new Polarg ambers on my passenger seat, so if a cop pulls me over, I simply say I just bought them and plan on installing them at home =). You could also get some EUROLITE Xenonbulbs for the back, but they are blue bulbs. Or settle for some APC LED bulbs, which are white but illuminate amber - only problem w/ those is .. LEDS blink too fast, so all your blinkers will blink super fast - that too is illegal. So in closing, lol ... I've had a hell of a time with the bulb issue - I say just throw in some Hyperwhites in the tailights and hope a cop doesn't ticket you for it :cool:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've tried almost everything. I've sprayed chrome paint on it - I've sprayed silver paint on it - nothing worked. If anyone has been successful in coating amber bulbs with silver paint allowing them to illuminate amber, then I would like to know.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
atomic-G said:
So what I did was just stick in some hyperwhites in the back and I keep the brand new Polarg ambers on my passenger seat, so if a cop pulls me over, I simply say I just bought them and plan on installing them at home =).
I got a fix-it warning one time for not having a front licence plate. I said it got ripped off and I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. Anyway I got a warning ticket and had 2 weeks to go to a cop shop with my installed front plate or it would turn into a $110 fix-it tag. :( I think you might be able to only get away with it once if he writes you up an official warning.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot atomic

i'm gonna continue searching tho... meanwhile i'll just pick up some amber bulbs since i don't feel like paying any tickets right now

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have been pulled over a couple times here in Phoenix, and not one officer has said anything about my hyper whites.

I questioned one of the officers and was told that, at least here in Phoenix, that the rear lights can be either red, amber, or white. However the front could only be white or amber.

Of course, my friends have told me that they can barely see my lights in the daytime when I signal.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well here in the state of New Jersey we are allowed red or amber rear turn signals only and amber or white front turn signals.... or so i think

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
J, you gotta be pimp with the COPPERS! Have a donut on your dashboard, that's the trick. Hmm.. ever wonder why they haven't made DONUT SHAPED radar detectors yet?

My mom was tagging behind me one time and said she could see the white blinkers flash easily in the daylight. I saw a BMW with cleared tailights and he had blue bulbs that blinked white and the white blinker was very visible in the daylight as well. So the white blinkers are noticeable if someone is paying attention.

·
Registered
218 Posts
White blinkers might be visible, but they are illegal (even in Phoenix). The only colors that can be used for turn signals is amber or red. White lights are reserved for reverse lights.

Is it REALLY worth all of this hassle just to have no amber color in your taillights?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Is it REALLY worth all of this hassle just to have no amber color in your taillights?
That's for the owner to decide. If you're going to throw amber bulbs in the tailights after you have cleared them, then it was pointless to even clear them. It was a hassle to clear the lights and go around finding proper bulbs for the lights, but *I* think it was well worth it. Hopefully Philips will come out with Silvervision bulbs for the tailights and then there would be no more problems finding proper bulbs.

·
G MERA
5,199 Posts
why not just get some red bulbs it looks cool! i have seen it done, at least its not amber

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
atomic-G said:
Hopefully Philips will come out with Silvervision bulbs for the tailights and then there would be no more problems finding proper bulbs.
The only problem with that is that I believe that the SilverVision series of bulbs is only available in Europe (as a normal sale item), and they are not marketed for US sale, hence the need to modify them to fit our cars.

BTW, I have the SV bulbs in my turn signals up front and really like them, i tried hyperwhites for a little while, but i hated how they flashed white, especially at night when they lit up the whole side of the road. :( I'm really happy with the SV bulbs. They have the positive characteristics of a clear bulb (the non-amber housing), but non of the negative characteristics that come with hyperwhites or clear bulbs. =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I DID IT YAY!!!~

atomic-G said:
I've tried almost everything. I've sprayed chrome paint on it - I've sprayed silver paint on it - nothing worked. If anyone has been successful in coating amber bulbs with silver paint allowing them to illuminate amber, then I would like to know.
I did it, i painted it. all i did was use a thin layer of high temp spray paint. works fine. shines really bright. ill post a pict in a couple days

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put blue light bulbs on my g20t and cops don't even do anything to me but that is here in newyork I don't know about jersey.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts