Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that my first try at this posting didn't make it; I was groping for the tab key while typing the last word, and my beautiful message disappeared.

Anyway, I thought that half the fun of a Factory Service Manual was that it tells you how to fix things. (I'm not sure what the other half was supposed to be...). My clutch cable snapped this morning, and the FSM says bupkis about how to r/r it, just how to adjust it. I diligently searched this site, like a good little sponsor, and found that people say it's not a hard job, but no details.

I assume you have to remove the clutch pedal bracket from the firewall to get to the cable-end of the pedal, right? Ihere's no access otherwise. I removed a bolt and a nut that were easy to get to, but there's apparently at least one more fastener somewhere that I can't find. Ideas? I don't see how you could even adjust the clutch cable without removing the bracket and the clutch pedal assy. So when even making a teeny adjustment to the pedal play later, the whole assembly has to be take down?

And before I even crawl under the car to see what's going on at the transmission end, is it pretty straightforward? Any tips on the job itself? Anybody done this recently?

Thanks for any help. And Santa will reward you, also, but it depends on what else you've been up to. - Clutchless in Bama

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
you dont have to get under the car. remove the air intake and you will have all the access you need. i think there is a couple small bolts securing the cable in the engine bay but i cant remember exactly. underneath the dash you dont have to remove anything either. simply pull the cable into the car a bit and it will unhook from the top of the pedal. just gotta pull it in a bit and then up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I got it done this weekend. :)

I did find a nice write-up on the job at this site, I just didn't search on the right terms.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13061&highlight=clutch+cable+remove

For anyone else doing this job, you may find (like I did) that the cable didn't break, but the problem is that the metal bracket that holds the cable to the clutch pedal arm is broken, which is just as bad.

I had noticed that the clutch pedal had gotten really stiff lately, and when I pulled out the old cable, it would hardly move within its rubber sleeve - all gunked up with dirt, I imagine. That's what over-stressed the bracket. I did find that the rubber boot at the transmission end had come undone.

Anyway, after ending up upside down with my head against the brake pedal about 4 times, I got it fixed. A large person wouldn't have fit under there.
Lastly, the FSM says to mash the clutch 50 times before setting the final pedal play, to pre-stretch the cable. It's easy to re-adjust the play at the transmission end of the cable, but you'll have to pull out all the intake hardware again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts