Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is chattering every morning until my car starts warming up....I heard that its a sign of a bad clutch and I should replace it soon...Is this true? It chatters only starting off 1st gear.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Does that mean it only slips when the engine is cold while driving in 1st gear? Or the clutch makes noise in neutral with the clutch pedal fully released?

I have the second symtom when I cold start the car and clutch makes noise, but when I press down on the clutch pedal the noise is gone. But the noise is gone when the engine is warm.

The sad thing is that the noise and symtom remains after a recent clutch replacement.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you press in the clutch does the noise go away ??

If it does go away it will probably be in the clutch/bearing.

If the noise stays its probably a noisy gearbox bearing.
I had the same problem in my wifes car and it was the bearing in the end off the gearbox had worn out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not slipping...only starting off first gear it starts really rough...like if the clutch disc is slipping and grabbing hard slipping and grabbing hard....making the car jerk like crazy...

·
Registered
455 Posts
TY423 said:
its not slipping...only starting off first gear it starts really rough...like if the clutch disc is slipping and grabbing hard slipping and grabbing hard....making the car jerk like crazy... [/
B]

Well, that can be not related to the tranny or clutch.... More engine related such as, the throttle position sensor is misadjusted.....

·
Registered
527 Posts
TY423 said:
its not slipping...only starting off first gear it starts really rough...like if the clutch disc is slipping and grabbing hard slipping and grabbing hard....making the car jerk like crazy...
If you are meaning its shuddering when taking off its the springs inside the pressure plate are coming loose

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that bad for the clutch? does that mean I should replace the clutch? or should I just wait till the clutch dies?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
TY423 said:
Is that bad for the clutch? does that mean I should replace the clutch? or should I just wait till the clutch dies?
Get it checked out...I cant tell from the description of your symptoms...but a clutch dying is not a good thing, could leave you stranded somewhere. A replacement clutch kit (clutch plate, throwout bearing, and pressure plate(?) ) will run you about $150. Im in the process of replacing one on a friend of mines 93 Nissan 4X4....

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
yep....thru Infiniti of Scottsdale.....well they transferred me to some other dept when it wasnt infiniti parts i needed. Bought these yesterday...call and find out..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kewl...thanx for the help...but what I don't understand is why does it go away after the engine is warmed up? is it because of expanding metals?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts