Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm pretty sure a 93.5 is the same as my 92 but you do NOT have to drop out the engine to put in a new clutch. Take out battery, tray, all that crap so you can reach the tranny, get rid of drivers side axle and that stuff so you can reach it from underneath and beside and unbolt it and take it at your leasure. i didn't do it myself but i payed close attention to the guy that did so i know pretty much what he did. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
tdog551 said:
...get rid of drivers side axle and that stuff so you can reach it from underneath and...
Do not remove the drivers side axle from the tranny. the only axle you need to remove is the passenger side axle. Less headache if you leave the drivers side in.

You will have to jack the engine up a little to get to the two 12MM bolts at the bottom of the tranny casing. This way you can also leave the center cross-member in and use it to support the engine as you are pulling the tranny.

If you do not have a FSM and/or are not familiar with tranny pulls and clutch replacement, I suggest you get someone to assist who does.

Another excellent resource is on my website. It is a step-by-step clutch install that is no longer available written by Ronald Chong. His website is no longer active. Go here and print it off.

http://nismopc.tripod.com/clutch_job.htm

My first clutch job was done with a SR20DEforum member, jacen99SE. It was his first time too. We took 6 hours not included piss breaks and lunch to install my '96 G20 clutch. We did the second, a '91 SE-R in about 4 hours, then had to redo the SE-R a month later. Took only 2.5 hours. He accidentally installed the disk in backwards. Take your time and keep track of where all the bolts go.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
thanks for correctin me nismo, it's been about 2 months seen i helped on mine but i learned a lot from watchin

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
tdog551 said:
thanks for correctin me nismo, it's been about 2 months seen i helped on mine but i learned a lot from watchin
It's not a correction. Just a suggestion.

Many people will pull the drivers axle out as well. That is the procedure used in the FSM. As long as the seals look good and all, this just saves you a step in the process and also gives you the ability to not have to support the engine with a jack or engine lift.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
preciate the advice yall, that damn dude was sayin 300 dollars and 8 hours of work to swap the clutch, or does it still take that much time and work even without droppin the engine

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
yep, we used a manual and it said to do that

·
Registered
141 Posts
clutch

dont worry it aint that hard i do clutches often. but remeber you MUST torque the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. i think (dont quote me) the flywheel is like 69lbs and the pressure plate is like 19lbs(again dont quote me). also a pinch of thread lock to ensure the bolts dont back off. and check your rear main seal. if its leaking you will never get a better chance to replace it. and last....DO NOT FORGET TO HAVE THE FLYWHEEL RESURFACED!!!! and i dont mean sandpaper or a whizwheel RESURFACED...everything else it ez

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd check around a bit more. I got a centerforce stage three put in a week ago. My normal Mechanic told me it would take about 7 hours and cost me 455 for just installing the damn thing! I had already paid alot on the clutch, but I ended up finding someone that did it for my for 250 dollars and in about 4 hours. they did a really good job too. If you want to save a bit then keep looking. good luck on whatever you do.=)

·
Registered
411 Posts
hmm i think i got ripped off majorly. i paid a machanic 900 big ones to buy and install my clutch:dead:

·
Registered
141 Posts
a word to everyone take it from me. the easiest way to save cash it to provide your own parts. 90% of shops are going to charge you list price on parts. the same parts you can get at an auto parts store yourself for an easy 40% off. you can also find out the labor times for the jobs yourself. 900 for a clutch job is unfair. shit i can do my own in a few hours for 145 (thats with the resurfacing of the flywheel and fluids. or you can do what i did when i got tired of getting dicked outta cash by crumby mechanics...bought some tools and books.:square:

·
Registered
411 Posts
g20chick said:
A stock Infiniti clutch? Or an aftermarket one?
na, it is atleast an aftermarket one. i usually do my own work but i figured this was goin to be to much work for me. cant wait till i get outa auto machanic school!

·
Registered
411 Posts
g20chick said:
what clutch is it if you don't mind me asking?
yaaaaaa. well u see i kinda mind!! the reason i mind is b/c i have no idea. he just said ill get u a "bad ass aftermarket one. it will cost $900 for clutch install and resurfacin the fly." well i think he told the truth b/c that cluth grips awsome!! well did, i wasnt aware that i had to "break it in." not as good as it used to be. well least i can get cheap parts and free labor now in auto tec.

for all yall readin this, i aint stupid bout cars. just had a REALLY BAD WEAK. and my car breaken down really made me mad so i made the disision to fast.
:tired:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts