Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching on the Shigspeed setup and other coilover setups, and I haven't been able to find any pics or real info on them. My question is, what exactly is it that makes these particular setups different than say, a system similar to Ground Control's? Is the shock body itself threaded? If it is, how do you use inserts like the Shigspeed setup? Is it possible for me to fabricate my own setup? I can make anything I could need without problem, but is it something you need special equipment to make? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I have done some searching on the Shigspeed setup and other coilover setups, and I haven't been able to find any pics or real info on them. My question is, what exactly is it that makes these particular setups different than say, a system similar to Ground Control's? Is the shock body itself threaded? If it is, how do you use inserts like the Shigspeed setup? Is it possible for me to fabricate my own setup? I can make anything I could need without problem, but is it something you need special equipment to make? Thanks.
The Shigspeed set-up uses Ground Control coilover kits. However, what makes the Shigspeed set-up so sweet is he uses Koni dampers. I don't know much about his G20 set-up, but his SE-R set-up is sweet. It uses Koni 8611 double adjustable racing inserts. I've ridden in a B13 SE-R with them. It was just an initial reconnaissance run with zero tuning on them and they were just incredible. I'm going to be fabricating something similar for my race car and Grover's ITS SE-R race car.

You can indeed create something like this yourself, but figure on doing quite a bit of research. Once you figure it out it's simple, but figuring it out is the trick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realize he used the Ground Controls to start with. What is the difference between the Konis and AGXs? From what I understand they are shorter, but can you get a set that already fits, or is the shock a custom fit? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the setup that would clarify it for me, would you?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I didn't realize he used the Ground Controls to start with. What is the difference between the Konis and AGXs? From what I understand they are shorter, but can you get a set that already fits, or is the shock a custom fit? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the setup that would clarify it for me, would you?
Sure, Ground Controls are just the coilover of choice for Scott. The sleeves and springs are not the big deal. The big deal is the dampers.

What's the difference between AGX and Koni? Konis are among the best dampers you can buy. AGX are OK. Why does this make a difference on a road car? Glad you asked. =) They can be made to control the movement of the suspension much better with far less harshness and jiggle.

Scott doesn't use a direct off-the-shelf bolt-on. He has taken the time to figure out what would work well. You could do the same and buy the same things and make them work. Just be prepared to do an awful lot of homework and then have to start by taking your best guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take a wild guess and say this isn't a low buck deal then.=) Slightly off topic, but does Koni make a shock that will bolt straight in? Pretty much all that pops up when shocks are discussed are the AGXs so I'm not sure. I suppose I could close my five other browsers and actually search, but I'm looking for jobs. And looking at autocross rules. O.k., I'm just making excuses. Right now, this is all conjecture on my part since I'm totally broke, but I'll have a good job soon so I'm starting my wish list. Thanks for all the help, by the way. I hope I'm not rehashing a previous thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mean to be nosy Geo, but what do you do for a living? Just curious. I'm six weeks from getting my Bachelor's degree, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do. I'm not sure if I want to stay in design, or try robotics maintenance and thought other peoples input would be valuable.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say this isn't a low buck deal then.=) Slightly off topic, but does Koni make a shock that will bolt straight in? Pretty much all that pops up when shocks are discussed are the AGXs so I'm not sure. I suppose I could close my five other browsers and actually search, but I'm looking for jobs. And looking at autocross rules. O.k., I'm just making excuses. Right now, this is all conjecture on my part since I'm totally broke, but I'll have a good job soon so I'm starting my wish list. Thanks for all the help, by the way. I hope I'm not rehashing a previous thread.
No, it's not a low buck set-up.

Koni does or did have some bolt-ins, but they aren't available in the states. They also are not short body dampers like the Shigspeed.

I too am looking for a job. Good luck with your search. Once I have a job I will be spending a bunch on my racecar. My budget is finally coming together, but I was supposed to be cut loose last Friday. Probably this Friday though.

No, you're not really rehashing a previous thread. You're not just asking: "Uh, what can I get for my G dude?"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I don't mean to be nosy Geo, but what do you do for a living? Just curious. I'm six weeks from getting my Bachelor's degree, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do. I'm not sure if I want to stay in design, or try robotics maintenance and thought other peoples input would be valuable.
Well, I'm a bean counter (accountant). Don't let your babies grow up to be accountants. It sucks.

If I would have had a better calculus professor, I'd probably be an engineer.

What's your degree in?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an Associates in Tool and Die design, and my Bachelor's will be in Automated Manufacturing Technology. Right now, I am a tool designer/maker at a small tool shop. I love to tell people that. It sounds so sopisticated. I had an interview with Sony today for a robotics maintenance position, but I'm not sure I want to take it. I had a bad Calculus teacher too, I can barely tell you what an integral is. The way the class was, I would play on the internet (G20.net actually) and teach it to myself at home. Not fun. I need to read my book again, I'm sure Calculus talk makes for great pickup lines.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
So, .......uh........what can I get for my G dude?=)
Forget a bra. That's for babes.

Get it a G-string.
:eek: :p ::lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I have an Associates in Tool and Die design, and my Bachelor's will be in Automated Manufacturing Technology. Right now, I am a tool designer/maker at a small tool shop.
Really? =)

Can you do any side jobs? I have a couple of things I need made. I'll need them in runs of about 10-12 and will likely want more in the future.

·
Registered
880 Posts
From what I understand the Shigspeed set up uses GC coilover springs with shortened stock struts w/ koni dampers. Basically he takes the stock strut, takes it apart and puts the koni parts in and shortens the strut body. He then puts on some koni bump stops as well. The set up will cost around 1600 and will give you 2" of extra suspension travel even when the car is practially slammed. The rear shocks are the only set that you can adjust the dampning level.
I know the two people that have a set on their G's. Both don't spend very much time on the forum, but it's worth a shot to email them or PM them if you have questions. One is David Kempe (SkinnyP10boy) and the other is Ron Vasquez (Blue). David has the very first/prototype setup. Ron has the set up that would get if you ordered one now. But Scott is very busy right now so if you order a set it might be six weeks before you get them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Geo said:

Really? =)

Can you do any side jobs? I have a couple of things I need made. I'll need them in runs of about 10-12 and will likely want more in the future.

Whatcha need? My boss doesn't mind me doing things on the side. Let me know. If you want, you can E-mail me at [email protected] if you have prints and whatnot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks BritCG20. So he takes apart the struts? I thought the struts were pressurized. How does he re-pressurize it when he puts it back together.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
Thanks BritCG20. So he takes apart the struts? I thought the struts were pressurized. How does he re-pressurize it when he puts it back together.

You drill the tube and depressurize it. Then you cut the top off and gut it. Then install an insert, in this case a Koni double adjustable racing insert. This would only be the rear. I assume in the front he has found an off-the-shelf solution from a different application.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm assuming it's the stock strut that gets gutted? By the way, what do you want made? I'm all in suspense here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The way I understand it now, it doesn't need to be re-pressurized. The Koni insert is left alone and inserted into the shell of the old strut.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I'm assuming it's the stock strut that gets gutted? By the way, what do you want made? I'm all in suspense here.

inkorekt said:
The way I understand it now, it doesn't need to be re-pressurized. The Koni insert is left alone and inserted into the shell of the old strut.
I'm no longer sure which insert Scott is using. I've seen a photo at Nissan Performance Magazine (on-line magazine). It appears Scott is not using the an externally adjustable insert. My guess is that he is using the rear insert for a Sentra SE-R. It would indeed fit the stock housing. The Koni 8611 double adjustable racing insert will not. It requires either fabricating a strut or using one from another application with a larger tube.

The fronts is a matter of finding one from another application that works. You could figure all this out, but Scott has already done that and I imagine you wouldn't be able to save much in the end. He's not going to get rich and retire building these things.

As for what I want made, I have one drawing done and need some time to draw the other one. =)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts