Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove BritCG20's 93 P10 with the Hotshot Intake and headers and I noticed it seemed to pull harder than my car from a stop with the Stillen Pop intake and headers.

So I was bored last night and thought, "I wish I could get cold air directly to my intake but I'm too broke pay $215 for the HS intake...Wait!!! How about removing that stupid restrictive hood!"

Four bolts later, I had my own cOLdEsT aIr InTaKe setup and it really worked. Besides being able to hear the intake noise from a 1/4 mile away, it actually made the car pull harder in the 4500-7500 RPMs. The most noticeable improvement was the pull from 80 MPH in 4th gear. I actaully got to 120 pretty quickly even though I had my 18 inch rims on. Not bad at all!

So next time that Vtec Si hits you up for a race, you can say,"HeLLz yeAh cUz I o\/\/n3z j00!!" Just whip out your ratchet and ditch that hood on the sidewalk.

Hey some useful info -> I also weighed it while I had it off - 36 pounds.

But you think carbon fiber is lightweight?? Try beating zero pounds! ;)

Disclaimer: The previous text is true and unedited. However, I do not suggest in any way, shape or form that you drive on public roads without a hood. Uh okay, maybe I did when I said, "ditch that hood on the sidewalk", but common sense should tell you that it wouldn't be a good idea since the hood absorbs a lot of the impact in an accident. Besides, some rice boy might pick up your hood and try to mold it onto their Supra.

-Mike.Com: Doing things so you don't have to.

Stay tuned for the next episode: "$600 exhaust?? Pssh! How about NO exhaust headers-back..."

·
Registered
180 Posts
i actually saw an accord with the hood off driving the other night! It had all sorts of chrome and neon lights in the engine bay. It was sure ugly.
Got Rice?:beard: :asian:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually taking the hood off creates a higher drag coefficient. To take care or offset this you have to take the fenders off so the air can exit through the sides. :) *see Mike.Com Disclaimer*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Taking the hood off will NOT provide the coolest intake charge. It is still sucking air from near the hot engine w/o the benefit of a partition. The HS or PR system at least has the fenderwell as an effective partition between the hot engine bay and a cool air source.
-Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey, when you go take your quarter mile time, try using the stock air box, but filling it with dry ice and taking out the filter, that's acold air intake.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
oversteerdawg said:
Taking the hood off will NOT provide the coolest intake charge. It is still sucking air from near the hot engine w/o the benefit of a partition. The HS or PR system at least has the fenderwell as an effective partition between the hot engine bay and a cool air source.
-Tom
Well yeah that's right from a design and practical aspect. When I say cOldEsT aIr InTAkE, I'm talking purely situational here: ;)

At 80 MPH on a freeway in the middle of a cold night without a hood, there is enough cold air going in and around the engine bay so that the Pop charger will only be taking in cold air. Although the Pop intake is not as far away from the heat producing engine as the HS with a partition, it is still around 1 to 1.5 feet away from the block. As can be seen in the engine picture in my album, there's enough space between the engine and intake for cold air to pass so the partition is not necessary in this particular situation. It won't suck in any hot enigne air with the large amount outside air coming in.

Of course that doesn't account for the increased drag caused by the hood being removed. But regarding cold air, I don't think the bye-bye hood can be beat in this situation. In fact, the cold air can be had by sucking through only half the amount of tubing which is a benefit in this situation.

But if it hasn't been implied already, I'm not serious about taking the hood off as a performance mod. It was just something I thought about in theory and wanted to try out. I'll post some pics of the "mod" later. :p ;) :) :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Showing off your engine bay is COOL!!! That's why clear hoods are COOL especially ugly yellow ones that are advertised by really fake looking girls in COOL import magazine, which in themselves is COOL too. COOL!!!!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Showing off your engine bay is COOL!!! That's why clear hoods are COOL especially ugly yellow ones that are advertised by really fake looking girls in COOL import magazine, which in themselves is COOL too. COOL!!!!
Yeah but they don't care that if they are COOL, and that is what really makes them COOL. Get it? COOL eh?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
G-Forces said:
Yeah but they don't care that if they are COOL, and that is what really makes them COOL. Get it? COOL eh?
eh?!?! You must be canadian....:lol:

Mike.com: Next you can remove the top....convertable stylez....

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Yeah, but you do know that most of the power gained from a CAI isn't due to the cooler denser air, but rather from the resonance tuning of the intake piping =)

What you should have done was grab a HUGE funnel or scoop of some sort, fasten it around your cone filter (so the filter is inside the smaller end) and tape it to the front lower part of your bumper (where the pressure is the highest (maybe where the headlight is, which would be a little high for the pressure, but it'd allow you a more straight shot to the TB.) then it'll act as a ram air at very high (aka highway) speeds. HAHHAHAH.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Yeah, but you do know that most of the power gained from a CAI isn't due to the cooler denser air, but rather from the resonance tuning of the intake piping =)

What you should have done was grab a HUGE funnel or scoop of some sort, fasten it around your cone filter (so the filter is inside the smaller end) and tape it to the front lower part of your bumper (where the pressure is the highest (maybe where the headlight is, which would be a little high for the pressure, but it'd allow you a more straight shot to the TB.) then it'll act as a ram air at very high (aka highway) speeds. HAHHAHAH.
About the resonance thing, I've been wondering....how would a smaller diameter pipe affect resonance? What if I used a 2.5 or 2.75 diameter pipe instead of a 3-inch pipe? Has anyone with a CAI setup tried something like that yet?:surprised

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

About the resonance thing, I've been wondering....how would a smaller diameter pipe affect resonance? What if I used a 2.5 or 2.75 diameter pipe instead of a 3-inch pipe? Has anyone with a CAI setup tried something like that yet?:surprised

It'll change the resonance point and should move the peak hp gains around in the power band. I've actually been supposed to test out a couple different intake setups to see how each affects power output and where in the rpm band it helps, etc... I just havn't been able to get all the parts together in one place and to the dyno yet. From what I remember, I believe that a smaller intake pipe (say 2.5") will move the power farther up in the rpm range, where as a 3" pipe (say like a HS CAI) will help more in the mid range. Although I guess I'll have to wait until I'm able to test everything out to know for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts