Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the computer guru's: I was just passed down a Compaq Presario 900 laptop from my parents to use for college. Its a fairly decent computer im just having some issues with it. To start off i went through and deleted almost anything that wasnt essential to the OS. Then i ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter multiple times. I still cant get this thing to speed up?!? It takes like three minutes from when you press the power button till when the desktop comes on. And another three before its loaded up enough to accomplish anything. Is this just the sign of an aged computer? Is there anything I can do. Please dont suggest another computer even though that may be what i need because money's kinda tight since im goin off to school this fall. Thanks for any help.

PS - When i plug in my iPod to the USB sometimes iTunes comes up and all is well, but every other time ill get the blue screen of death (Note: not just iPod does it on all USB storage devices, but not other USB devices ex: USB mouse works just fine)

·
Registered
165 Posts
i say get a good registry cleaner... also go to pcpitstop.com. register and do the full scan... it discovers a bunch of computer problems and tells you how to go about fixing them... it's really accurate with no bs, and ive been using it for 4 years.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yeah, reformating is the way to go. then install windows XP again on it. SP2 i never installed coz it seemed to slow me down a lot more than with SP1

·
Administrator
5,852 Posts
oneloudG20 said:
To all the computer guru's: I was just passed down a Compaq Presario 900 laptop from my parents to use for college. Its a fairly decent computer im just having some issues with it. To start off i went through and deleted almost anything that wasnt essential to the OS. Then i ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter multiple times. I still cant get this thing to speed up?!? It takes like three minutes from when you press the power button till when the desktop comes on. And another three before its loaded up enough to accomplish anything. Is this just the sign of an aged computer? Is there anything I can do. Please dont suggest another computer even though that may be what i need because money's kinda tight since im goin off to school this fall. Thanks for any help.

PS - When i plug in my iPod to the USB sometimes iTunes comes up and all is well, but every other time ill get the blue screen of death (Note: not just iPod does it on all USB storage devices, but not other USB devices ex: USB mouse works just fine)
First off, I see your running XP home w/ sp2. The standard specs of the laptop are: Athlon XP 1400 (1.19ghz) ATI 32mb Video, 256mb ram, etc. Theres several options you can do to speed the computer up. If you feel comfortable I can show you how to navigate your registry and clean out all the pointless programs from running on startup all the time. And then I can walk you through how to stop additional xp services that are not needed to run windows. I can get an Athlon XP 1800 with the same amount of ram to run some pretty hefty programs, so yours shouldnt be an issue. But let me know.

Also you actually don't need to reformat, if you follow a few steps, and do a standard defrag, a reformat actually isnt required. Your just avoiding the issues. For some people reformating isn't an option so I've figured out plenty of ways around things.

- Jon

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i ran a registry cleaner and it seemed to get rid of alot of stuff. now i think its probably time to upgrade the ram. i took the panel off the back and it has one 256mb card in it and an empty slot next to that. ive been pricing around and it seems like i can get a 512 for roughly 40 bucks. now should i add it to what i already have? or totally replace the 256 with the 512? or buy two 512's?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UncleShasta said:
all depends on how much memory the mother board can handle
how do i find out how much it can handle?

and merlin i did the crucial link and it came up with a 256 and a 512, still dont know if i can add 512 or if i have to replace it with 512?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay i found on the crucial site where it says my system's max memory is 1024kb, so would you reccomend going with two 512kb ram cards for maximum performance? it should run better than new with that setup right?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
merlin said:
the more RAM the better, but if I were you cost-wise I'd just get a 512 and be happy with a total of 768. It's like otherwise the 256 you have becomes a throw away (i guess you could try and sell it)
okay i think ill try that first ... also will it matter which slot i put them in, should i put the 512 where the 256 is and move the 256 to the 2nd slot, or just put the 512 in the 2nd slot?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts