Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did they lower the rev limiter in the g20 computers to 7000. I'm looking to see if there is a crossover between the OBDII and higher rev limiter computers. with a 91 cam my car pulls hard all the way up the rev limit, at that point the computer retards the timing and there is a major loss of power. The SE-R guys use the computer from the old g20's to raise thier rev limit and eliminate the speed govenor. I would like to raise my rev limit to 7300 so I can get more use of my cam, but I don't want to have a engine light come on.

I'm looking for people with knowledge of this not " I think"
thanks for your help

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
There is no way unless you get an old G20 ECU yourself. Now that has all the problems of installing a ODBI ecu into your car.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what I thought but I was hoping that there was a late 97 g20 computer that might work. from what I understand you need to change some vacum hoses and use the old o2 sensor. to get rid of the light with the OBDI computer. Is that correct?
Thanks for the reply

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
That's what I was told.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe one day I'll hit the lotto and get JWT to reprogram a 97 computer. untill then I was thinking of using cam gears to lower my power band and increase overlap. just a thought not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ericdd said:
maybe one day I'll hit the lotto and get JWT to reprogram a 97 computer. untill then I was thinking of using cam gears to lower my power band and increase overlap. just a thought not sure yet.
Why wouldn't a '94-'96 P10 ECU work? It is OBD-II, has a 7500 redline and no speed limiter. If that is what you are looking for, that is what you want. Not a '91-'93 OBD-I that sets ECU codes off.

That is the ECU of choice for the Nissan guys. can't see why it won't work for the G20 P11 cars also.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NismoPC said:

Why wouldn't a '94-'96 P10 ECU work? It is OBD-II, has a 7500 redline and no speed limiter. If that is what you are looking for, that is what you want. Not a '91-'93 OBD-I that sets ECU codes off.

That is the ECU of choice for the Nissan guys. can't see why it won't work for the G20 P11 cars also.
that's what I want but from what I hear a 97 ecu set of the check light, so I don't know how a 94-96 wouldn't. If i can get one cheap enough I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The '95-'97 SE-R ECU has a lower redline than the '94-96 G20 does, and IIRC is OBD-I. The '94-96 G20 ECU has a 7500 RPM redline and is OBD-II compliant.

A couple of minor sensors are different between a '96 and a '99 G20, but I believe that you can make the changes yourself without tripping a code. Search the SE-R mailing list archives for more information. You may also try contacting JWT for more information, since they seem to think that putting an early OBD-II ECU into a late OBD-II body is a better idea than them actually selling a reprogrammed unit.

As for the sprocket idea, that's also excellent. A few of us lowly B15-ers are trying to do the same thing with our roller S3s, because we have this pathetic 6700 RPM rev limiter. :p

·
Registered
562 Posts
hey....uhhhhh I don't know if you have considered this but why not just reprogram your 99 ECU? You are very lucky that you have a 99 ECU...cuz that was the cut off point where JWT can reprogram....I did alot of research on this and thought they couldn't do it...BUT THEY CAN!!!! Thats what Luke did for his P11....he got JWT to reprogram his USM P11 ECU cuz he couldn't get the JDM ECU to work..

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Tony, the cut off was 97. You need a -97 ECU to send to JWT because they won't use your 99 as a core. You need to change a couple pins on the harness, use a -97 secondary O2 sensor and disconnect some sensors to get it to work. It's pretty easy on the 98-99 (SR20's) but JWT can't reprogram them. :(

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know the specifics on the rewire and sensors. I was thinking of getting a 96 G20 computer but thatis what I would have to do to get rid of the light.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
If you buy one from JWT they can tell you the details.

·
Registered
562 Posts
hmmm odd....I talked with Luke and he said he just got his 99 G20 ECU reprogramed from JWT and said it ran alot smoother..maybe there was some miscommunication somewhere..

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
TY423 said:
hmmm odd....I talked with Luke and he said he just got his 99 G20 ECU reprogramed from JWT and said it ran alot smoother..maybe there was some miscommunication somewhere..
I'm pretty sure he took it to SE-R Development and had them do the ECU swap. I haven't heard of JWT breaking the 98+ ECU's yet. There would be a lot of happy 98-99 owners out there. ;)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
G-Forces said:
If you buy one from JWT they can tell you the details.
yeah But I would like to find out for a 96 g20 ecu swap. I found some thing on a web site for honda's that might work for the rear O2. It's a simulator so it thinks it's working right. I'll look for it later and maybe it might work.

G-Forces said:

I'm pretty sure he took it to SE-R Development and had them do the ECU swap. I haven't heard of JWT breaking the 98+ ECU's yet. There would be a lot of happy 98-99 owners out there. ;)
Yeah I would be real happy. then it would at least be a little cheaper since you wouldn't have to buy a 97 ECU and swap everything.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Ericdd said:

yeah But I would like to find out for a 96 g20 ecu swap.
Like I said JWT should give you the details on making the swap. They told me I'd need a 96 O2 sensor to avoid the MIL light. As far as the actual ECU wires you need to swap, JWT can tell you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts