Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Currently there is no "production" turbo kit for P11's.

Your 99 can be turbo'd quite easily.

Most of an F-MAX or Hotshot turbo kit can be used. You will need to modify your ECU harness to be able to use a 95-97 JWT SE-R ECU. This is not a big modification. Its mainly a problem for the 2000+ cars.

You may be able to use some of the intercooler piping, but most likely not all. This is not a huge problem. Any decent muffler shop can make you intercooler piping.

The rest is pretty plug and play

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I personally wouldn't put a turbo on the sr20de. Some will arruge that it's a indestructable engine, but I would rather get a engine that already has a turbo on it like. There are many different companies that make sr20det's. I personally think that a sr20det is better because it comes with different internals that are made for a turbo engine. You can get a lot more horsepower out off an sr20det then strapping on a turbo to a sr20de. This is just my personal opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a sr20det make more horsepower than a sr20de with a turbo. That's just my two cents.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
*cough*

There's been 400+ whp turbo SR20DE's with stock internals + $500 water injection system. ;)

If you're going for a large turbo setup it makes more sense to start with a DE. You will need to do the *same* work to a DET as you would a DE. The DET is merely an added cost.

DET's are good options for some people, but saying that you wouldnt turbo a DE because a DET is just plain better is not the whole truth.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey b-b00gie thanks for the info. From what I what read on AF I was lead to believe that a DET would be better, but you know more then I do so. I have a question then why do people put DET's in their car? Is it just a personal opinion on what you think is better a DET or strapping a turbo to a DE. If it's an extra cost why do people go that route. Sorry for not knowing what I was talking about.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
Hey b-b00gie thanks for the info. From what I what read on AF I was lead to believe that a DET would be better, but you know more then I do so. I have a question then why do people put DET's in their car? Is it just a personal opinion on what you think is better a DET or strapping a turbo to a DE. If it's an extra cost why do people go that route. Sorry for not knowing what I was talking about.
Its a matter of what you want to spend and the amount of time you have to do it.

With a DET motor ($2K), you get 200ish hp, no kit, slight mods, maybe have to get a new ECU??

With a turbo kit ($3K) lots of install work and some mods to the engine + ECU + others,

I know Im being vague, but with a motor, you get the whole thing, with a kit, your building up to that motor. Essentially, where do you want to go with the motor? 200hp? 300+hp? Best do some homework and find out whats best for you.

IMO - I would personally go with a DET, namely because it gets me to the 200hp level instantly, and I can monkey around with the big mods (enlarge bore, coat pistons, etc...) to make it a bullet proof engine while its out of the vehicle and still have something to drive....either way its a matter of opinion.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
OK to confuse the issue more, my opinion. :D

Yahnozha bacially said it. It comes down to a bit of personal preference.

If my goals were about 200-220 whp and that's it. I'd probably swap a DET. Cost is about the same as a 200-220whp kit or peicing something together.

Up to and over 300whp I'd tend to turbo the DE. Reason being is that you'll need up upgrade the following on the DET to get to that level; MAF, injectors, turbo, fuel rail, ecu. At this point you might as well just turbo the DE and save some money.

Anything over 450whp is fair game and all bets are off. DE with reworked internals or DET with upgraded parts and probably reworked internals.

I haven't figured out my turbo goals yet. But at this point I'm starting small and working my way up over time. My initial power goal will probably be around 200-220whp. Whether this is through a DET swap or a 'frankenstien' turbo kit remains to be decided. :-\

Sometimes too many options sucks. :cheeky:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
There are many different companies that make sr20det's.
Actually, there is only one (Nissan). There are several who import used examples however. :)

fatboyz921 said:
I personally think that a sr20det is better because it comes with different internals that are made for a turbo engine. You can get a lot more horsepower out off an sr20det then strapping on a turbo to a sr20de.
Well, I not only personally know of three turbo SR20DEs that have made over 400 hp to the wheels and have ridden in two of them.

I personally think it depends upon the engine you are starting with and just plain personal choice. I prefer the DET (for under 250 bhp), but not for any solid reasons.

fatboyz921 said:
This is just my personal opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a sr20det make more horsepower than a sr20de with a turbo.
Probably just a bit. But, dollar per hp, a turbo SR20DE is going to get you much farther with pretty much the same reliability.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Not sure it really makes a difference or not, but I've seen a stock DE block w/ a F-Max kit hit 20psi on the dyno and drive away (under it's own power) =) That's very strong, IMO. I don't know of many motors, turboed or not that can put down that kind of boost w/o internal work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so heres my deal...im looking for something in the range of 275 - 325 hp. Is this feasible? (still concerning the turbo-no internals yet) If it is, what kinda $$ am i talking about (including mods needed to get the turbo to "fit" my car)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
To do it right? I think I had priced out something around $5-7k depending on what kind of deals you can find. This was for an F-max stage II and some other goodies like boost controler, clutch/flywheels, fuel pump replacement, etc. That is not including installation.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Thats what it costs all together.. :rolleyes:

Why would you think it's cheaper? The only bolt on turbo kits for Hondas that cost $2500 or so, only add 75whp and you still have to buy a lot of miscellaneous items, plus install it.

In stock form our cars put down roughly 125whp. A turbo kit that does 250whp would be doubling your HP. You're talking about a 275 to 325 setup? It's gonna cost you!! =)

Turbos arent cheap.

The most cost effective option would be to use all the turbo parts of a Bluebird DET. For $2700 you could probably put together something that will lay down about 190~195whp.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:
For $2700 you could probably put together something that will lay down about 190~195whp.
Which is not bad by any means. Once you start getting over 250whp things get a little crazy. Stupid crazy wheel spin in first and second. Rolling 3rd gear brun outs. I took a ride in a turbo'd Sentra SE 2.0 with about 230hp and it was plenty quick enough to put a HUGE grin on my face. :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
bigbungy said:
so basically, save up 3 gs, and go for it?
Well, that's up to you, but it certainly can be easily (relatively speaking) done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
b-b00gie said:

The most cost effective option would be to use all the turbo parts of a Bluebird DET. For $2700 you could probably put together something that will lay down about 190~195whp.
Why wouldnt you just go for a SR20VE if you are going for 190-195 horses?? Wasn't/Isn't Andreas Miko selling those for 2400? You get the same horses, and save yourself some cash.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Slickkedar said:

Why wouldnt you just go for a SR20VE if you are going for 190-195 horses?? Wasn't/Isn't Andreas Miko selling those for 2400? You get the same horses, and save yourself some cash.
Right but as long as you'll be happy at that level or a little bit above that. If you plan on more, like going up to about 300whp you can still pick up the pieces over time to reach that goal. If you want serious hp from the VE you're still back at square one sourcing out some more turbo bits. :-\

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Slickkedar said:

The VE is $2400 shipped from Mr. Miko. However you'll still need to get an ECU, install, various little parts that should/need to be replaced.

Installing a VE all said and done will be around $3500 or so. The VE will give you about 175whp, which is about 20whp less than slapping on the DET turbo parts and bumping up the boost maybe 2 psi over the stock setting to get 195whp.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:
The VE will give you about 175whp, which is about 20whp less than slapping on the DET turbo parts.
Has anyone dyno'd a stock one yet? I'd like to see the charts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts