1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm considering to buy this 95 p10:
Kansas City Craigslist

The Ad says that the A/C compressor doesn't work. I plan to negotiate the price based on this factor. What's an estimate price for replacing the compressor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
If you get the AC done at a shop then your looking at $1000 out the door. They are going to properly evacuate the system and replace the compressor and dryer. Then refil the system, check for leaks and such.

If you just find a used compressor and do yourself then I would say under $300.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I coulda sworn this car sold 2 weeks ago. Was going to go look at it. Let me know if it's still for sale.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm ... interesting.

I'm supposed to pick up the car this week.

Since the A/C compressor stopped working, the owner is going to put a smaller belt. Just waiting on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The color cherry?

The car had been for sale for a while. I was wondering about this.

The Carfax was ok, but he could have worked/fixed on the Car himself (and not reported it).

·
Registered
196 Posts
The color cherry?

The car had been for sale for a while. I was wondering about this.

The Carfax was ok, but he could have worked/fixed on the Car himself (and not reported it).
The color cherry? Lmao you are kidding right??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man ... the drama has already begun.

I just got the car yesterday. And today, the check engine light came on while I was driving. The car still runs normal (no oil leaking, no noises). I'm going to get a code check ASAP.

I have to note though. Before I bought the car, the AC Compressor wasn't working. It started to make the belt burn and smell. The owner put a smaller belt (leaving out the compressor), but the smell is still there. I'm not sure if the process of changing belts messed up something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
does the compressor spin? I'd not want to swap down belts unless I knew for sure it was good.

Could just get the right belt and hook the compressor up (even if it doesn't work) or find a pick a part compressor and use it.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Previous owner would only bypass AC for two reasons I would think. Siezed compressor or one with bad clutch/noisy bearings. I would not put a belt aroud the compressor if the previous owner bypassed it. Wait until you snag an AC compressor and then try it.

Give a good look to the belts that are on now. Check for fraying or melted spots. See if you can see exactly where it's rubbing. Maybe take the belts off for the inspection and rotate all the pullies by hand to make sure they are spinning. Lastly look closely at your harmonic balancer(crank pulley). Make sure the outter ring is still fully secured to the inner. Seperator of the crank pulley is very common on nissans.

Don't worry your problems seem minor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a p1400 code (EGR Solenaid Valve). I don't really know what this means. Replace it? Clean it?

The machine reset everything. Let's see if the check engine light comes again.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I think if it comes back then the solenoid is bad. I don't think cleaning that will help. Reason being mine isn't even hooked up and I don't have a code. But my solenoid valve is still there and plugged in. This leads me to believe that the early p10's don't look for EGR flow or temp. They are just looking for an electrical connection on the solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your feedback guys (winterz & robkris8079)!

I did some searching on the forum. Some people have simply replaced the Solenoid and that stopped the Check Engine Light from coming on.

I'm going to see my mechanic today to get some feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The check engine light got reset after getting the code.

My mechanic said it is not a big deal and wait until the check engine light appears again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts