Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen someone attempt this? I know there are some chop-top shops in CA that can transform just about any car for enough money.. BUT has anyone ever done this or seen the end result?

...just morbid curiousity

(NO, I have NO intention of trying this -- I already have a convertible... and it was designed as a convertible in the first place...)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've never seen anyone do anything like that to a G20...why would you? The car is great the way it is, and I think it's already pretty loud with the windows rolled down (goin a good clip on the freeway) so I can't imagine how it'd be like without a top. Cars like Toyota's new Soarer (Lexus SC430 here in US) are a lot better at being convertibles (ever sat in one with no top? good lord...)

On the other hand, in the newest Option 2 someone ripped the top off a Civic and turned it into a convertible (!) and stuck R33 Skyline lights on it too....aaaaaaahhhhhhh

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
there is a guy named aaron s. aka NICE he was in new jersey now i think he lives in columbia with his wife but he had a g20 and had the impul kit stock engine and etc.. and targa top he got it cut like targa like on the 300z or del sol i think it looked pretty good too from what i heard from him it wasnt too hard not too much cutting since he had the sunroof but it really looked nice he ended up totaling it and then got a bmw i'll see if i can catch up with him for pics but no i never saw a full convertible g nor do i ever want to see one

casual

·
Registered
222 Posts
"Convertible 4 door? That's gonna look ghey"

ever see a 1963 lincolin continetal convertible?
sure you did kenedy was shot in one

probably one of the most beautful cars to come out of detroit and hollyood seems to destroy one in every movie . seems to me that it isnt good to be a black man or a 63 continental in a movie neither one makes it to the end just watch sometime you see what im talking about.

when i can get my hands on one its getting the ford v10,AOD tranny and mark8 rear suspension ..among some of the stuff

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
stoneage_tech said:
"Convertible 4 door? That's gonna look ghey"

ever see a 1963 lincolin continetal convertible?
sure you did kenedy was shot in one

probably one of the most beautful cars to come out of detroit and hollyood seems to destroy one in every movie . seems to me that it isnt good to be a black man or a 63 continental in a movie neither one makes it to the end just watch sometime you see what im talking about.

when i can get my hands on one its getting the ford v10,AOD tranny and mark8 rear suspension ..among some of the stuff

Oh, I totally agree with you. I was talking about converting somthing like the G20 or similar sized 4 door Japanese car, e.g. Civic, Accord, 626, etc.

I've seen a Convertible 750il and it looked totally nice! It works nicely with larger 4 door cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yah dont touch sport compacts exactly dude , pot cruiser roadster looks bad enough and they made it into a 2 door to do it...

by the way anyone seen that new mercury maruader convertible?
beautiful!!!! they did it right hacking 2 doors and and ripping the top off that grand marquis

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Not entirely true. I used to have a 302 1972 Mustang. Loved that thing. I still like the 1970 Boss mustangs. Those big caddies however are a different matter. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
hopefully he was talking about how the ignition systems were built at the time ...one that that i hate from then was points and condensor...
one thing i can say that i despise about the g is the sheet metal so much as slap a panel and you crease it youll hurt yourself on a chrysler before you ding it , then again maybe thats why they were so heavy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Even factory designed cars with a real chassis (Bentley Continental or R/R Corniche) suffer from "body twist" whenever you chop off the roof.

With most (non-chassis) modern cars, it is even more difficult to maintain structural integrity when you cut the roof off. You need to heavily reinforce the structure of the car – if you want your same handling P10 back!

It may look good, but it would prolly be a POS!

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ahem

I beg to differ here.. The Dodge Viper R/T does NOT have ANY flex whatsoever.. and rides like it is on rails.. and was built as a roadster to begin with!!!!!

....also the Boxster Porsche isn't as stiff as the viper but I dare anyone to call it loose!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
the c5 corvette has almost no cowl rattle or flex due in part to its backbone type chassis the convertible handles almost exactly like the coupe only diffrence is the weight penalty the drop top has . ths is a far cry from a c4 convertible those things were loose as S#$#

but i think the dude earlier knew that, hes saying converted cars , makes you wonder what would happen if you x frame the car after removing top (like old t birds fairlanes and such) , still wont be as good as a g but close i think it would weigh at least 700 lbs more .

now one of those full length canvas tops that takes the place of the roof panel would be kinda cool ...hmm i have seen a kit that would fit my g ..hmmm think ill stick with getting a moon roof put in

1 - 20 of 35 Posts